New here

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Welcome to the club :)

I have a zafira myself and as good as it is the elgrand is in a completely different class... Big improvement on space and refinement.

Were you looking for an E50 or E51?

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Try Greenlight Insurance. I went with them this year and they knocked over £300 off my renewal from Sky Insurance, who have previously been the cheapest by at least £200 to other insurers.

Also, if you call them and tell them you are a member of ElgrandOC, you get a 15% discount applied to the premium :)

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Welcome :)

There have been some good comments on the forum about vine place so sounds like a good place to start. Good luck with your search.

nobby62

E51 Owner
Welcome in. I dont know anything about vine but the cars on their website dont look to be grade 4B from the photos.... quite high milage too.. My advice would be to speak to an importer eg japautoagent before parting with my hard-earned. I know the exchange rate has suffered a little recently but you may still be able to get a better motor with a third of the milage for the same kind of money if you’re prepared to wait a few months... for selection, shipping, registration etc. Good luck.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
The age old debate.... buy from a dealer or import yourself.

The benefit of buying from a dealer is having a point of contact in the UK. You get to test the car, you get a warranty and peace of mind. But you pay for it.

Import yourself, and you are relying on someone else's word that it will meed your expectations. You can't tell an awful lot from a picture either. I had mine imported last year by The Elgrand Warehouse in Cornwall (no longer trading I don't think). It was a Grade 3.5, but when it arrived, it was practically mint. There was a chip in the bumper around the fog light, and a small dent in the drivers door. That was it. But, it was a risk. I based my judgement on pictures and someone else's word that it was a good one. I spent 3 nervous months waiting for it. But, I got an Elgrand for £4.5k (inc 20" chrome wheels and underseal) that would have easily cost £6-£8k from a dealer.

Chris T

I'm looking at dealers and I'm finding it hard to justify their prices, I think an Elgrand costing 8k at a dealer is going to cost 5 to 6k for same car if you imported it and got it on the road yourself. That's a big price difference for me.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Far more choice in Japan and easier to check build specifications as auction details list chassis numbers.
My ramblings are here and I’m probably going to do it again this year to get a little Elgrand based camper too.

Chris T

Far more choice in Japan and easier to check build specifications as auction details list chassis numbers.
My ramblings are here and I’m probably going to do it again this year to get a little Elgrand based camper too.
Even some of the undersealing offered by dealers is very light on detail, if you paid for your own undersealing at least you would know what level of work had been done, and more importantly, when it needed doing again.

Seems dealers asking a lot for the little that they're doing to be honest.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm looking at dealers and I'm finding it hard to justify their prices, I think an Elgrand costing 8k at a dealer is going to cost 5 to 6k for same car if you imported it and got it on the road yourself. That's a big price difference for me.
Just remember you get what you pay for and who you buy from. Be careful, VERY CAREFUL my friend and take your time looking. The right one will turn up I can assure you. DONT RUSH.

Lots of help and guidance on here via PM's on who to and who NOT to go to.

Chris T

Just remember you get what you pay for and who you buy from. Be careful, VERY CAREFUL my friend and take your time looking. The right one will turn up I can assure you. DONT RUSH.

Lots of help and guidance on here via PM's on who to and who NOT to go to.
I know mate, don't worry, no rush buying here and when I'm ready to hand over cash you will be the first to know ( it's your fault for being so helpful lol)

Some the "dealers" I've questioned are so vague on details and their warranty void if I so much as sneeze on the car.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner