MrRob's 2002 Silver Highway Star ...

Andy916

Premium Member
IMG_20170910_175042316.jpg
Sorted! Had another go today and, with heat, got the hose carefully into place. With a bit of pressure it popped into place and it's pictured here at 34psi. Arch clearance has gone from one finger to whole width of hand at full pressure, with rear camper conversion and 85L LPG tank minus our camping luggage, which bodes well. Will do the other side tomorrow night then see how it drives. Thanks Rob!

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
That's fantastic @Andy916 ! :D

Genuinely, I was a bit worried I'd sailed you up the sh*tty creek by underestimating the complexity of fitting. So glad you've got in sorted now. You'll have to do a 'how to' so we can all gauge the job up properly before choosing bags over springs. ;)

Whotsit

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I know nothing about fitting these particular items but when needing to make plastic more pliable we used to put the item in a box with a leadlamp "not an LED one" for a short while, it could well help in a situation like this.

Andy916

Premium Member
Yep that right My Bluetooth thing is
Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit by -BitchinRob ( http://MrRob.in )-

Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - Supports aptX and Multi-point Connectivity
Using it would leave video free for whatever ntsc feed you want to watch but you'll need a parking brake override to see it in front screen when driving. Luckily mine had one fitted for the aftermarket tv.
Bit of an odd problem here with my BTC455. It works fine in one car, then in the E51 it works only until the engine is started. Nothing once the engine is running, no lights on the unit, despite confirming the power feed is live (other things plugged into the usb socket on the plug are fine). Using a jack-to-rca lead to connect the phone directly to E51 works fine, with engine running and in 'drive' or neither, so the rca input side is ok (incidentally, does that mean there's a defeat lead/device fitted? I've not been able to try video input yet). Will check socket voltage (it's one that I wired into a power lead that I found under the seat), and try the standard power socket too, but I don't know why it would play-up when other devices work with that socket...:confused:

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Bit of an odd problem here with my BTC455. It works fine in one car, then in the E51 it works only until the engine is started. Nothing once the engine is running, no lights on the unit, despite confirming the power feed is live (other things plugged into the usb socket on the plug are fine). Using a jack-to-rca lead to connect the phone directly to E51 works fine, with engine running and in 'drive' or neither, so the rca input side is ok (incidentally, does that mean there's a defeat lead/device fitted? I've not been able to try video input yet). Will check socket voltage (it's one that I wired into a power lead that I found under the seat), and try the standard power socket too, but I don't know why it would play-up when other devices work with that socket...:confused:
Can’t see how btc455 would know engine is running, it’s either powered on or off. Only thing it might be sensing is over or under voltage on that feed when engine is running that is outside it’s operating range .., perhaps?

I did have one of the older btc450 version seemingly fail on me but oddly it started working again as soon as the btc455 arrived to replace it.

TBH it should be on a switched with ignition (accessory) feed to operate as the manufacturer intended. As far as I know there is only one such feed and that’s the cig lighter circuit.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
incidentally, does that mean there's a defeat lead/device fitted? I've not been able to try video input yet).
I’m not sure, audio works anyway it’s vid that stops when handbrake off. You’ll have a switch somewhere to return to normal system (nav) functionality if override module is fitted.

Andy916

Premium Member
Can’t see how btc455 would know engine is running, it’s either powered on or off. Only thing it might be sensing is over or under voltage on that feed when engine is running that is outside it’s operating range .., perhaps?

I did have one of the older btc450 version seemingly fail on me but oddly it started working again as soon as the btc455 arrived to replace it.

TBH it should be on a switched with ignition (accessory) feed to operate as the manufacturer intended. As far as I know there is only one such feed and that’s the cig lighter circuit.
Aye indeed, this weekend we'll have 500+ miles in the van, I'll pack a multimeter and experiment a bit. The feed is switched with ignition the same as cig lighter, but it's one that I found under the pax seat feeding a Jap tv receiver, along with an extension to the RCA input.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
@Andy916 that sounds like the digi tv in mine that was located under driver’s feet, Accessory switched supply probably feeds off cig circuit like mine did, so perhaps it is a bad bt unit.

Good luck.

Winchester

E51 Owner
Hi Rob, just reading your thread as I've ordered some Air Lift bags for my NE51 daily driver's rear suspension, which I've just fitted a tow bar to... I see from your pics that you have the valves at the bottom? Is that right? All the you tube clips I've seen have the pipe work at the top... it there any reason why that can't be done in an Elgrand? Thanks, Adrian

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Hi Rob, just reading your thread as I've ordered some Air Lift bags for my NE51 daily driver's rear suspension, which I've just fitted a tow bar to... I see from your pics that you have the valves at the bottom? Is that right? All the you tube clips I've seen have the pipe work at the top... it there any reason why that can't be done in an Elgrand? Thanks, Adrian
Yep. Because top coil spring/rubber bump stop seat is solid while bottom has a convenient hole ;)
If you search for pictures of airbags on Murano you’ll see it’s that way too.

Winchester

E51 Owner
Yep. Because top coil spring/rubber bump stop seat is solid while bottom has a convenient hole ;)
If you search for pictures of airbags on Murano you’ll see it’s that way too.
I see, the pipe looks a bit vulnerable at the bottom.... I might look at drilling through the bump stop

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I see, the pipe looks a bit vulnerable at the bottom.... I might look at drilling through the bump stop
Seems a lot to effort to save £1 of pipe from damage from something that would do far more expensive damage elsewhere to the underside of the car. Although it is fiddly to reconnect a new pipe.

Best idea is to avoid rocks. If I haven’t ripped mine out in my daily farm track into muddy field entrance driving I think, unless you are rallying driving on boulder fields, you should be ok ;)

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
There is a central blot holding the spring seat I think so you’d need to fabricate something that side exits the spring seat in the topmost cushion part of the bumpstop.

Winchester

E51 Owner
Thanks for all the info... sounds like I will mount it upside down then. Good to know what you you did and why, very helpful, thanks!
Well... I'm still not very keen on having the the air pipes poking out through the bottom of the suspension... has anyone tried to fit them without the top bump stops? The air bags I've ordered are a bit longer than the ones in this thread 10cm x 25cm.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Well... I'm still not very keen on having the the air pipes poking out through the bottom of the suspension... has anyone tried to fit them without the top bump stops? The air bags I've ordered are a bit longer than the ones in this thread 10cm x 25cm.
Probably better to continue airlift discussion here http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/airbag-airlift-1000-info.3874/page-2

Or perhaps better still here http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/fitting-airlift-1000-kit.5985/

Rather than here. ;)