MR.G's Highway Star

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Might as well start a thread as I have a few plans in my head for this new addition. Going to pick her up on Saturday but I already have the first mod come through the post this week. here is a pic that the dealer took and it doesn't do it justice, it is spotless.
_1-2.jpeg
and a pic of the first essential cheap mod.
IMAG0786.jpg
I'm sure i will post a few pics of it over the weekend as I work away from home and I'm taking it with me so I can play without the wife moaning at me :sarcastic:

Last edited:

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
So I picked up the Highway Star today and am really pleased so far it quite clean as you will see from some of the pics i'll upload but there is a fair bit of grime accumulated in the cracks and gaps. I also really need to look at modifying the drivers seat as there is plenty of space in the back but behind the wheel I find I quite tight.
Not going to go mad with any mods right away just gonna see how she settles in first
No need for a new back box anyway
IMAG0811.jpg
Clean as a whistle under here
IMAG0821.jpg
IMAG0820.jpg
Spotless in here
IMAG0818.jpg
IMAG0819.jpg
No need for new rims or tyres
IMAG0817.jpg
Kids entertained, although its only playing on rear screen or am i missing something
IMAG0815(2).jpg
Quick side shot
IMAG0812.jpg

Last edited:

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Looks absolutely stunning mate! You got a good 'un there! Got any more shots of the back box? Looks cracking!

Also, check the speed rating on the tyres. They might look new, but Jap Tyres are not great on UK motorways and do not handle uneven/pot holed roads well at all. Potential blow out city.

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Perfect mate. Excellent news on the tyres. Happy motoring mate. Look forward to more pics :thumbup:

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Love that! And it's Nissan branded, so can pass it off as original parts :thumbup:

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
Looks like a great car! Screen will only play video when handbrake (footbrake) is applied. You might need to press TV on the dash if it doesn't come on and then select vtr.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Ok so I've done a couple of little bits in the last week. First was fitting the band expander for the radio. One night at work I took the radio out then realized I need 2 aerial adapters, 1 to convert the nissan 2 pin to din then another to convert back again to go back in the standard head unit. so put it all back together and got on the web. Couple of days later striped down again and fitted it all up. Now I've got a proper radio.
Next up was the wet fart in the boot, the sub-woofer
IMAG0865.jpg
Like the rest of them the rubber was shot, so ordered up new ones..Then realized I hadn't changed my address on that auction site, managed to redirect them as I'm not going to Scotland to pick up £15 of speaker rubber
All cleaned up ready for rubber.
IMAG0886.jpg
As with other easier to flip upside down due to the folds. Shall re fit Saturday and let you know how it sounds.
Just thought that at least 3 of us have a spare speaker rubber now and could have saved a few quid.
IMAG0887.jpg

Last edited:

blingo

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Looks familiar :grin:

Good point about the spare you get in the kit, enough glue to do loads too! If anyone is interested, i'll happily pass mine on for postage costs...

Mine had band expanders fitted (one for each aerial) but i'm mot covinced they ever really worked... radio 2 was still the only viable choice.

Have you considered changing the door speakers? I've bought some but still not got round to doing it. Seeing the state of the sub, i can't believe the rest of mine aren't heading the same way.

Simon

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Well without the sub in I turned the volume up and its still quite good sound and bass, probably better than my Mercedes, slight rattle from the passenger side but the wife has probably filled the door pockets with crap already. I've got Radio 1 and all the other main stations so happy with that. Didn't know there was 2 aerials.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Just a quick one, as some of you have seen already, had the rear two cats removed today. Nothing too fancy but kept it so the cats could be refited if I or someone else was mad enough. Looks neat and looks like it's been in situ a while.
IMAG1123.jpg
IMAG1126.jpg
IMAG1128.jpg
There was no sign of any deteriorating from the front cats either.

Last edited:

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Little update
No blind spots, a camera and tilting mirrors, still I did not see the lamp post, oh how the wife laughed.
Bottom of tailgate
IMAG1396.jpg

The rear bumper
IMAG1395.jpg
IMAG1394.jpg
Could have been a lot worse, can't really notice it but still £250 of damage

Anyway I did clear up the headlights with Quixx headlight restorer with great results
IMAG1436.jpg
IMAG1430.jpg

Although the lights now look almost new I was always going to cover them up again with some flyeye
IMAG1435.jpg
IMAG1467.jpg

Last edited:

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Headlights are looking good in black, is the chrome divider bar going black too?

How did you get on the lower bulge? I've got a few creases in mine you can see when you're within a metre of the car.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
It may have to now as it sticks out a bit, I did want the whole grill dipped. Yeah the Main light was ok but I only bought 45x50cm each side so I had to cut carefully. There are no creases but I did cut a little too much off when trimming so on the bottom of one it just covers