Mr Chops NE51 Rider (RIP mobile data plans)

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@MrChops sorry I copied your rear end, have to agree with you it looks loads better without the Nissan badge and adds some more mystery as to what the vehicle is! lol
Only problem was when I removed the badge it looks like the rubber backing (took an age to remove) has etched into the paintwork :( Only me I think will notice as its only noticeable at certain angles!

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I really like it without the badge but keeping the lettering.

@Richard Fox That plate tho!

@MrChops sorry I copied your rear end, have to agree with you it looks loads better without the Nissan badge and adds some more mystery as to what the vehicle is! lol
Only problem was when I removed the badge it looks like the rubber backing (took an age to remove) has etched into the paintwork :( Only me I think will notice as its only noticeable at certain angles!
Yeah, mine's exactly the same but you can't see it in the photos. It wasn't until I removed the badge I also noticed a small dent in the panel, as if someone pushed really sharply on the side of the badge.
Mine got a serious attack with the clay bar but it's missing clearcoat in a couple of places where the thin adhesive lines were.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've only just spotted the metal bumper trim @Richard Fox . I like that. Mine came with chrome trim on the bottom edge of the tailgate which I've left as it does protect the edge and looks ok.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I know @MrChops the number plate is on the agenda, unfortunately we live in The Netherlands and I haven't had the chance of changing the plate, it will be done! lol
The strip I also like a lot, need another one for my silver version adds a bit of protection to the bumper, I wondered whether it was another option from Autech... as I know the larger higher lip rear spoiler is sometimes an extra option on the Rider.

By the way loving your new avatar pic @MrChops!

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wasn't sure what was on my agenda today, it was almost a bike ride but although a fine day I quickly decided to get the second mirror-mounted camera fitted. So glad I did in the end.

Didn't bother with pictures of the install as it was almost the same as the first one. Thankfully it was a lot quicker to do after working out the process when doing the first one, so in all about 4 hours I'd say (I do like to take my time and look at things a lot!).

It was good to read on here recently that there's a large rubber grommet on the driver's-side firewall like there is on the other side as that made running the cable from the engine bay to the cabin easy.

After breaking clips, cutting cable, threading through holes, stripping and soldering, heat-shrinking and taping and connecting up I was ready to try it. Feck me - the camera was positioned almost perfectly which is amazing as it has no indication of orientation. I adjusted it slightly, tightened it up and glued it in position.

And this is what I have now, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Not great quality I admit but for what it cost it's perfectly acceptable. It's no worse than the reversing camera anyway.

So I still have the video mixer connected to AV IN on the Pumpkin, and I found by accident really that when the bus is in VTR mode it shows the video input even when changed to another app. I don't know yet what audio stream is played when running like this. It might play the AV IN audio (no audio) when I'm playing Google Play Music app, but we'll see tomorrow.

Here it is running happily at the same time as my favourite Android app :)

The only thing I wish was different would be for the cameras to angle more towards the front but that's because I mounted the passenger camera quite far back and quite horizontal because that's where the flattest part of the mirror cover is. I could have angled the driver's camera further forward (mirror shape is slightly different) but it looked odd.

There's always something very satisfying about projects like this! Is it just me?! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
So I found that with the AV input active the audio from Play Music running on the headunit only comes out of the front speakers, and the AV audio will come out of the rear speakers. Presumably this is so that rear passengers can watch and listen to the AV whilst the driver can hear satnav audio.

If the AV is active and I connect Bluetooth to listen to music then the AV is stopped. That's a shame.

I still need to put more time into sussing how the triggers work, although actually I'll probably not use it triggered from indicators etc.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well it's been three months now since I replaced the interior clock with a cheap eBay unit but I'm pleasantly surprised to find that the time is still within a minute of the correct time. Being so cheap I was expecting to have to adjust it often. Only changed it when the clocks went back.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I recently bought a Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 multimedia player so that we can watch movies from SD/USB/HDD if out on a long trip.

This thing is pretty small and neat so here are my pro's and con's (so far):

Pro's
  • Small
  • power, AV out, optical out and HDMI connectors are all at the back