MOT Inspection Manual (May 2018) - some aftermarket alterations will be a fail (latest draft of new rules)

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Does it detail the actual changes in that document?

I thought aftermarket HIDs were banned following the changes in 2012?
I read through it and couldn't see anywhere that said about aftermarket HID's being tested. Aftermarket HID's are not allowed legally, but never tested on MOT.

In fact, when I read through, a lot of the hype I've heard doesn't appear to be listed. I'm either reading the wrong things or they are just bollocks.

Nothing has been decided yet anyway.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I read through it and couldn't see anywhere that said about aftermarket HID's being tested. Aftermarket HID's are not allowed legally, but never tested on MOT.

In fact, when I read through, a lot of the hype I've heard doesn't appear to be listed. I'm either reading the wrong things or they are just bollocks.

Probebly scare mongering bollox Karl. Folk will only get grief if they take their rides to garages that are only out to fail and make money. Go to a decent understanding garage and you will have no problems. Plenty of them around with humans in them.:innocent:

Elena

Premium Member
E51 Owner

@Karl - this is on page 7:

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

HID lamps may have ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens, otherwise they can be identified by: · taking a few seconds to reach full intensity · having a bluish tinge to the light · having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
"Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective"

Seems to suggest that if the modification isn't obvious, then it isn't a major category...?
Going to depend how on the ball the tester is?

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Going to depend how on the ball the tester is?
Yep.

I'd like it to be the case for them to make a distinction between obvious mods, like a cat converter with a rusty new mig weld seam on the bottom, or one that has been carefully opened, sleeved internally and then put back together - so even if the tester knows or suspects, the latter passes as a subtle rather than obvious mod ;) Maybe that's what the 'obviously' implies in the rules :cool: