LPG, shall I do it?

Need some advice, last time I looked at LPG was when I had a Subaru Legacy flat 6, and was advised not to do it as it would mean more wear on the engine. Now it appears that its actually better for engine? With the ele we generally just use it on weekends, but to be able to get 300 miles out of it is quite appealing. Can someone help, a little confused?
I'm sure ite been

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
It all depends on what u want from it , if just further mileage be abit expensive for more range , but for me Lpg was a way to get my e50 cheap to run as a daily runner , if u plan on keeping motor or do decent mileage in it , when I bought my e50 I put price of conversion in with money I was willing to spend , I worked out I needed to do 11k ish miles for it to pay for itself , also I’ve only got 60 l tank so can get 180-200 off 50litres of gas, been told a 90 litre tank fits under elgrand , I wish mine was that size , there is a Lpg guru member @Lpgc he will be more than willing to awnser your questions

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Like @malcolmyz85 i budgeted the cost of LPG in my purchase price. I reckon the payback mileage for me will be around 16k miles. As I aim to keep my E51 for a good few years (still only 30k miles on the clock) then LPG will be a good investment. From my research, I am not expecting any engine issues due to running on LPG.

Some folks dont think LPG conversion is worth it, although I'm not clear why they think that.

Last edited by a moderator:

lolgamlen

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I was happy to go down the LPG route as like Alan I expect to keep Fizz for a while as a camper, although I also enjoy using the van as a runaround and am toying of getting rid of the car. I suspect that my payback point will be in a couple of years, but I can't describe the feeling you get when you fill up for less than £40. Environmentally LPG makes sense, and the clincher for me was that the nearest stockist is just a couple of miles down the road. You wouldn't know that its running on gas, except for that rather nice feeling you get watching the petrol gauge not move south! If you can afford it, have a local stockist and enjoy driving your Ellie, then go for it.

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Another thing to consider is the availability & price of LPG in your area. With my previous LPG van there used to be an outlet where I could purchase LPG for 56p a litre, that has since closed, so the average cost in the Hampshire/Dorset area is around 69p, that is when it is available. Also I think that when people try to justify the savings to be made they don’t take into account the extra cost of servicing (I know I certainly didn’t) & also the petrol cost on startup & especially in the winter, the first mile or so. One other thing I hated was, again especially in the winter, was how slow some could be.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Gd point @alboy , prices do vary greatly and availability can be iffy , but with a little research it can normally sourced for a refil , I pay normally between 59.9 and 69.9 per litre, I’ve never really had any extra cost on servicing , expect a one off payment once a year to get Lpg system serviced , I’ve had 2 Lpg converted motors but haven’t had much trouble filling either up , yes it does take a little longer to fill espo when filling up 85 l on my old patrol

Cemmy074

E51 Owner
Need some advice, last time I looked at LPG was when I had a Subaru Legacy flat 6, and was advised not to do it as it would mean more wear on the engine. Now it appears that its actually better for engine? With the ele we generally just use it on weekends, but to be able to get 300 miles out of it is quite appealing. Can someone help, a little confused?
I'm sure ite been
if you use only weekends or if you do less than 15k miles not worth it. keep how it is and i don't think they are thirsty...

dangerous brain

E50 Owner
My experience of LPG was similar to others here. I factored the conversion in to the bargain price I paid for my Aristo. I was proper chuffed with it. I was able to run my bpu 350bhp luxo barge as my daily runner - winner right? WRONG! within a 3 month period every station that did LPG around me stopped and left me with a 25 mile trip each way to fill up. There was nowhere along my work route or near work either. I didnt have another car either. The cripplinng cost of daily running on petrol forced me to sell it. I never managed to recoup half the money I spent on the gas and still took the annual depreciation on the car as no-one wanted to pay more for the car just because it was gassed.

On a plus side the Polish dude that bought it from me coined right in driving it home regularly. He was real happy I'd paid for the conversion :)

George322

Premium Member
I factored the price of conversion in too. Mine paid for itself after 14k miles. I've now done 20k in about 18 months so am happy.
I pay 56p a litre at my local Morrison's but have had it for as little as 48p a litre and as much as 80p in the Highlands.
I couldn't afford to run the Ellie as much as I do if it only ran on petrol. I use it for camping trips, shopping trips, and everything else trips.
It got through it's MOT yesterday and the tester said it easily got through the emissions test.

chris56

Premium Member
I had decided long before buying my Elgrand to have an LPG system fitted,as I had one on my last car.
Simon at LPGC fitted mine for me a couple of weeks ago,and I,m very pleased with it.I have to travel 7 miles to my nearest
Gas pump,as both the garages where I live have both stopped selling lpg,but I still think that it' is worth it if you are considering clocking up a lot of annual mileage

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
When I was looking at the option to have LPG, the annual mileage was less of a consideration than the total mileage I'd be doing over my period of ownership of (my camper converted vehicle.

Ironically at the time of the LPG conversion (Oct 2016) and the fuel prices then, the payback point was something like 16,000 miles. I have yet to do the 16,000 miles but I've passed the payback point because the price of petrol has increased (as has LPG but proportionally less so).

Last edited:

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes, get as large a tank as possible - I can get 54L into mine which gives me 200-220 miles.

On a slightly different point - have a think about where you might like the filler cap. I have mine behind a neat little round black cap on the same side as the petrol filler cap. At installation time I was offered a fill point at the rear, just below the rear bumper in the centre but I thought the side/black option looked neater.

However, I have found two disadvantages with my side mounted filler cap:
1. Sometimes LPG pumps only have one fill gun/hose and if it's not on the side where my filling point is, it can be awkward to fill up especially if the pump hose is on the short side and/or on a strong return spring (not a problem with a rear, centrally mounted fill point of course)
2. In France for instance, their fill guns do not have the protective shield like UK fill guns, and over time I've noticed that the gas spill on disconnection has marred my paintwork, which I guess might not happen or be as noticeable with a rear filing point.

ho hum!