apologies if this has been asked before
thanks neil

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
The Diesel E50 (I think only the 3.2), had a "winter pack" optional extra, which allowed for the fitting of a second battery.
All Engined E50's have the same chassis, so it makes sense that the "house" for that battery is in the same place.

To get to it, you need to remove all of the air intake ducting (the plastic pipework, resonator box, air filter housing etc). You will then need to fit an aftermarket air induction kit (can't have unfiltered air going into the engine). This will reveal a flat area at the front of the passenger side engine bay. You can put a tray here and there is space for a leisure battery.

If you don't want to go to all that hassle. I know that other people have managed to fit small leisure batteries behind the rearmost seats. They make their own box to put the battery in, and fit the split charging system behind the door card in that area (requires removal of rear seats to get behind the door card). Then it's just a case of running a power cable from the battery to the split charge system, which can be done through the bulkhead, behind the pedals, more towards the centre of the dash. Getting to it is a PITA. You have to pull the grommet out from inside the vehicle, cut a hole for the power lead to go through, then push the power lead up through the bulk head. You have to push it up and towards the offside of the vehicle, and push a lot of it through. Then when you go to the engine and look behind the block where you have pushed it up, you should be able to see it and grab it with your left hand.

Jasper

E50 Owner
I don't know much about leisure batteries, but could you simply use one of these emergency booster packs?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-18...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JF155PX6ZY5JVMDMS06R
Bought one for my boy for Christmas, and it's amazing. After starting our fiesta several times, and my van once, it had only dropped to 97% from a full charge. Also comes with a multitude of cable adaptors for gadgets + usb slots, an inbuilt torch and a compass :)

neil12000

E50 Owner
Premium Member
well it sounds a right pain whichever way you do it and i already have a booster pack .lighting wise i have already swapped to all led so and a new larger battery 95ah i think so i guess i would b ok to run the dome light in the back for a couple of hours each evening when i camp in the van. i do like an upgraded induction kit though as a former mx5 owner .any recommendations on that folks

neil12000

E50 Owner
Premium Member
I don't know much about leisure batteries, but could you simply use one of these emergency booster packs?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-18...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JF155PX6ZY5JVMDMS06R
Bought one for my boy for Christmas, and it's amazing. After starting our fiesta several times, and my van once, it had only dropped to 97% from a full charge. Also comes with a multitude of cable adaptors for gadgets + usb slots, an inbuilt torch and a compass :)
love my pack they are just amazing .before i swapped the battery it was starting the van a few times a week on 1 charge with plenty left in it.my son seems to have stolen it from me now

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm thinking about getting a smaller pack. The one I've got is a heavy duty Ring - it's fantastic to be honest but the wife would have trouble lifting it if she got stuck with a flat battery somewhere. So thanks for the link @Jasper

Might be worth us starting a new thread to see what power pack/jump starter other members are using maybe ?

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I want to fit a leisure battery and split charge to mine.

I would love to utilise the space in the engine bay but as Karl mentioned, all the existing air intake has to be modified.

Hopefully it' a job I'll have completed this summer

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I want to fit a leisure battery and split charge to mine.

I would love to utilise the space in the engine bay but as Karl mentioned, all the existing air intake has to be modified.

Hopefully it' a job I'll have completed this summer
I think @freshandminty did a mini how to on this in his project thread. Don't know how much difference there is between E50 & E51 though.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I'm thinking about getting a smaller pack. The one I've got is a heavy duty Ring - it's fantastic to be honest but the wife would have trouble lifting it if she got stuck with a flat battery somewhere. So thanks for the link @Jasper

Might be worth us starting a new thread to see what power pack/jump starter other members are using maybe ?
@Phil
How big is your booster pack ??? I was thinking of just buying some more jump leads to leave in my camper but booster pack might be the way to go

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Hi, if your wanting to run lighting in van while camping of an evening I have two small battery (AA) powered lanterns that I clip onto hand grips. These will run for days and provide more than enough lighting for the weekend and don't use vehicle battery, so no worries about not starting the bus in the morning. Just turn off all interior lights and remove tailgate bulb if that's being left open.