E51 Knightrider led strip

Declan Cullinan

Premium Member
Ok i know it's not strictly in car entertainment but i thought this might be the best place to post this question; I've ordered one of these knightrider led strips for the elgrand (yes i have a mental age of 8!).

7 Color 48 LED RGB 56cm Car Knight Rider Flash Strobe Strip Light Waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B591DOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1AoCAb3PA7HWD

Im planning on mounting it either on the grill or just inside where the bonnet shuts. My question is, can these just be wired straight to the battery? This would mean the lights would have a permanent feed, is this a problem? Don't want to cause a drain on the battery or such like. If it is a problem to wire straight in, is there a suitable place under the bonnet to get an accessory feed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Declan.

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Yes, there will be a very slight drain while it is switched off but shouldn't cause an issue unless your car is stood for long periods...

Do you want the option to run it while engine is off?

If not there will be plenty of switched live under the bonnet to use

Declan Cullinan

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply, not really bothered about running out while the engine is off at all. Just need to find an appropriate circuit to tap into.

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Off the top of my head I can't point you to one... Id be in with a multimeter...

What about the horn live?

Declan Cullinan

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply, not really bothered about running out while the engine is off at all. Just need to find an appropriate circuit to tap into.
Off the top of my head I can't point you to one... Id be in with a multimeter...

What about the horn live?
Potentially, yes, or lights? Presumably with auto lights there's always a feed?

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ok i know it's not strictly in car entertainment but i thought this might be the best place to post this question; I've ordered one of these knightrider led strips for the elgrand (yes i have a mental age of 8!).

7 Color 48 LED RGB 56cm Car Knight Rider Flash Strobe Strip Light Waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B591DOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1AoCAb3PA7HWD

Im planning on mounting it either on the grill or just inside where the bonnet shuts. My question is, can these just be wired straight to the battery? This would mean the lights would have a permanent feed, is this a problem? Don't want to cause a drain on the battery or such like. If it is a problem to wire straight in, is there a suitable place under the bonnet to get an accessory feed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Declan.
Your not alone mate. I have a mental age of 7:p:p:p:p and have also been thinking of one of these too on my Black E51

Ive just looked at it via the link and it appears to have a remote unit so maybe yes you can just hook it up to your poss and neg battery terminals and switch it on and off as desired via the remote unit thus if its off no battery drain.

Declan Cullinan

Premium Member
Yeah, but guaranteed I'll forget to turn it off one time and I'll flatten my battery. Also wondering if it's a rigid bar, it might be awkward to fit to the curved grill area, will just have to wait and see when it arrives.

RobP

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yeah, but guaranteed I'll forget to turn it off one time and I'll flatten my battery. Also wondering if it's a rigid bar, it might be awkward to fit to the curved grill area, will just have to wait and see when it arrives.
You should be alright even if it's left on over night. Minimal drain from Led's. I've got led lights at the front of mine and left them on for at least 6 - 8 hours and the car still starts up.
Wired mine direct to battery with an inline fused wire then to a switch in the dash. (Not remote controlled).