Ken Style E51 V70th. Cant help but modify...... ;-)

user

E51 Owner
Suffolk - them Kahn wheels with reasonably good tires, fronts 7-8mm, rears 5-6mmm... £175 OEM HWS tires crap, but as alloys good... £150 Can make photo tomorrow

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
i see your near stowmarket, i was working there quite a bit a few months ago, wont be now though, could they be put on a pallet?

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well i got the subs mids and tweeters fitted to the front doors, used 12 gauge wire to run from the amp to the crossovers, had to drill a new hole in the body to run the wore into.

Sound quality s a huge step up, the amp is under the passenger seat, next job is to fit the midbass drivers to the sliding doors, along with the new tweeters, not sure yet where to hide the amp for those.

Have also had the stereo out to tidy up all the wiring, and to fit the new graphic ill be using into the lower cupboard bit of the centre console.

Had to strip and solder the LED scuff plates today as the AND bit of ELGRAND was no longer lighting up, turns out there is a weak link in the soldered joint, my drivers side has gone too.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
The drivers side LED scuff plate didnt ave a broken wire like the passenger side, it has infact blown the led, so have ordered 10 from RS and will get some replaced this week so they can be working again.

Finished the front install of speakers/graphic etc, managed to hide everything away pretty well.

I have been using Switchback DRLS in the front lights but they keep blowing the chips inside and end up with flashing lights, have taken them out now and replaced with LED indicator bulbs, whether it was coincidence or not but when i removed them my front bumper cam and left mirror cam ceased to work, luckily i have some new cameras lying about so replaced the front one and heatshrunk all joins etc, took the mirror off and found that one needed replacing too, currently have no mirror fitted, early start tomorrow to get it all back together.

Cant decide what to do box wise for my subs, i will have the air ride out of my other elgrand in a couple of months so need to incorporate room in the boot for this and the box or boxes, i have made boxes to fit under the rear seats at the moment but they are not really big enough, subs not dropping.

Have fitted a fog light switch for the rear, will wire in the bits tomorrow to get this in.

Put 4 gauge wire in for the rear amps, not got them fitted yet though, will try and get them fitted tomorrow.

I really cant wait to get the other E51 so i can get the air ride and all the other goodies out of it.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well i havent done too much recently but i did get some BBS LM copies fited to replace the tied work LS105s, will soon be on a set of new work wheels, have to save for them though, i have been painting the new mirror covers and bought new style cameras to fit in them both.

I have lots of stuff on the way from japan for the end of this month and hoping that by the end of may the van will be more powerfull, louder, lower/higher on air, full leather, led rear lights and fancy front lights.

Will update more when i get stuff done, not going to do much until the start of april when rollling road sessions and other jobs will start to happen

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I think its a little underpowered if im honest, could do with being 300 horses i think, maybe in the distant future ill pop a 350z lump in but at the moment ecu, exhaust, better induction system and some injectors should help.

The cameras this time are 360 moveable ccd ones, infra red non led, also have a much smaller plug on the end, no need to cut and solder this time,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112101249261?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also waiting for this lot.

^^^these also come with new a pillars

Should keep me busy for a while, still have my rrs vents to fit yet too. some nice new headlamps will be getting ordered soon too.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ah those cameras are very similar to mine but mine don't have night vision.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproo...everse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-/231558568622

The construction looks practically the same so don't expect to be able to pivot them all the way round within that slot, the wire coming out of the back of the 'ball' catches on the body of the unit way before you think it will. I hope they've updated the design to reduce this problem though. I wish I could pivot mine more to see a little further forward. With hindsight I should have put the holes a little further out and forward.

apart from maybe having to reprogramme the key when the ecu is plugged in, do you think that anymore work will need doing with the ecu for it to work properly in the elgrand?
as in do you think it'll bring any problems (sorry possibly a stupid question, just curious) i know its the same lump but just wondered

sitting_duck

apart from maybe having to reprogramme the key when the ecu is plugged in, do you think that anymore work will need doing with the ecu for it to work properly in the elgrand?
as in do you think it'll bring any problems (sorry possibly a stupid question, just curious) i know its the same lump but just wondered
It's labelled as being for an E51, so I'd have thought that the tables within etc are appropriate for an E51, with possibly the only other requirement being that it's for the right generation of E51.

If memory serves correct the key data is held within the body control module in the upper dash, so keys may not need coding at all. At any rate - you can bet Chris knows more than me about this given he's just bought the ecu!

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
@MrChops those cameras look almost identical, i have been playing with them and they move right through 180/360 degrees, my intention is to fit them, find the spot where i want them to be and then add some clear silicone to keep them in position, they seem pretty good and so much less hassle not having to cut/solder/join again.

@sitting_duck to be fair @russ2101 is totally correct, the key will no longer start the car, your right that the key is programmed to the bcm but the immobilizer system is within the ECU, the "NATS" system as its known needs to be reprogrammed to the keys/car, i have ordered a bootleg consult 3 system with everything setup so hoping i can connect this using one of my multiplexed OBD readers and recode the ecu, if not then it will be find a Nissan dealer who can do it.

Impul only make 1 ecu, it has a higher torque curve, no limits within the first 3 gears, more bhp, speed limiter removed, needs to run on 98 ron fuel for max gains. hoping this combined with the other mods above and a couple of others im working on will give another 20 horses.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Its one of these so called voltage rectifiers, supposed to give the coils more power and let the alternator concentrate on running the in car electrics.
That's a 'new to me' gadget... I will investigate. Roughly how much is this snake oil? ;)

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
That's a 'new to me' gadget... I will investigate. Roughly how much is this snake oil? ;)

1 Improvement of fuel efficiency 2 Improvement of horsepower and torque 3 Improvement of ignition efficiency of ignition device 4 Improvement of light quantity of lights such as hem light 5 Reduction and purification of exhaust gas 6 Noise reduction and sound quality improvement of audio etc. 7 Power generation and charging efficiency Improvement of efficiency of engine electrical equipment and genuine electrical equipment 9 Improvement of efficiency of post-installed electrical equipment

Thats all it says on the auction page at the moment, they are only about £25 inc postage.