Ken Style E51 V70th. Cant help but modify...... ;-)

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well I thought i should start up a project thread for my 2003 E51.

Sourced by myself in the Japanese auctions, i wanted something different, something with low miles and low suspension.

I found this.

22000 genuine miles,full ken style bodykit, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket suspension, 20 inch verde wheels, blinkered mirrors, few little bits inside and some curtains.

It arrived with the agent in the first week of july, got delivered to us mid july, always had a few mods on my mind but after spending hours on noppin i found there was going to be a fair bit more i wanted to do.

First job was to remove all the wiring and stereo system that wasnt needed, that was a job on its own, 2 panasonic dvd players, panasonic tv, panasonic multimedia centre and a bin bag full of wiring!

Decided to do away with all the walnut trim that came with it, so off to noppin i went and bought a set of 3d stick on piano black trim to stick over the walnut, a new centre radio surround ready for an android double din, a set of light up door steps, a rear drop down screen and a front original fit screen and an auto folding mirror box.

Safe to say my first noppin purchase wasnt the greatest, found that the rear screen is not really any good, the front screen wont work as i dont have the correct wiring for it and the auto mirror device i bought is for a late e51 and wont fit.

So back to noppin and bought a full set of interior leds, a usb/internal temp gauge that fits the standard size dash aperture, a set of ox blacky wind deflectors, some more bits of trim and a set of steering wheel controls for the stereo.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner

This is how it looked when it first landed on english soil, way too low, the Kenstyle kit adds 100mm to the depth of the bumpers and side skirts, with the lowering springs on it was just too low, coilovers need asap.!

Between buying things from noppin i was buying things from the uk and china lol,

I bought 3 18.5mm cameras, one for each mirror and one for the front valance, fly-eye tint for the front lights, dark smoke tint for the rear lights, led bulbs to replace the standard bulbs, 2 pairs of 9 inch xtrons headrest dvd players, a small digital clock to replace the original clock in the upper display, xtrons double din dvd with gps wifi android etc, a hks super hybrid air filter, set of bc coilovers which will do until i can find an air ride system, a 9 inch tft monitor for the cameras along with a 4 way splitter, some japanese translated stickers for remotes etc, some nismo neck cushions, a sun visor dvd player for the passenger side front, a new rear view camera and some honeycomb grille to go in the voids in the front bumper.

I have fitted the cameras to the mirrors and to the front valance, replaced the standard rear view camera with a new one keeping the same position, fitted the light up side steps, i fitted these so that the step only lights up for the door which is opened, they then go off when that door is closed.

Fitted using only the hammer in the pic ;-)

Cameras in both mirrors like this ^ can also see the new OX Blacky 2 wind deflectors, they are huge!

Front valance cam^

New rear view cam^

Fitted vents over the side repeater holes after removing them.^

The only pic i have of the inside so far is this ^

I already have a set of JDM Work wheels to go on instead of the Verde Avatars, they are 20 inch too and were a bargain when i got them.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Fitted the coilovers which brought it back up to standard height, removed the rear bumper as it got damaged on the lorry when it was loaded to transport to me, it has to go to a bodyshop to be repainted, fitted the front sunvisor monitor, trial fitted two of the dvd headrests to the middle seats, these are going to be plugged in via some new cigar lighter sockets which im fitting to the rear quarter trims, the front ones will be wired in direct to the loom.

The hks filter has been fitted, the front lights have been refurbed, all rear lights removed to get the tint put on, the temp gauge/usb fitted into dash.

Was going to use a chip to convert from kmh to mph but cant locate the speed signal wire so im going to send that back and get a mph facia to replace the kmh one.

Have been shopping again and now waiting for more bits to appear, a cusco front bcs strut brace, set of seat covers, a new auto folding mirror setup to replace the one i ordered wrong, a voltage gauge/usb for dash, a dual usb for dash too, a new gearknob to replace the walnut one, another remote for the rear, a set of bonnet rams/lifters, a new surround to replace the walnut speedo surround.

These should be here within the next few weeks after shipping from japan.

Plans are air ride, supercharger setup, some wider deep dish wheels like work eurolines or similar, get the other bits i have bought fitted first and get the rear cats removed.

Also going to try getting some cusco arbs, 350z lsd, cusco rear and underbody braces. plenty more to come.

Its not even on the road yet, waiting for V5 as i write this. should be here any day now.

Any comments.suggestions welcome and if anyone has an air ride or supercharger setup lying about chuck it my way. ;-)

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Great write up so far mate. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one. She's a stunning looking motor and you've taken good care of her so far!

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Nice one, make sure to keep it coming...there are a few things I'm keen to do and you might save me lots of time/swearing (like the cameras).

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
the cameras were a pain in the bum but well worth it, it wasnt that hard to do just fiddly time consuming little things like soldering all the wires back together as the plugs would not fit through the wing mirror hole. ill put up some better pics when get the chance.

The stick on trim i bought i have decided not to use apart from the one long piece that goes across the dash, have sourced a full set of black trim to replace the rest, there will be a complete walnut set up for sale soon.

The gearknob is also walnut trim, we dont like walnut so my better half decided to mod the gearknob and give it a black look until the new one turns up, black insulation tape does wonders!

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Am in the process of trying to find a steering wheel that doesnt have wood trim on it, does anyone know if there is one in the light tan colour, leather, without wood trim? not been able to find one as yet.

JonRWB

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Looking good Chris - very nice. One question - why do you need to replace the clock in the overhead unit?

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
well Jon, i have been told that the clock works off japanese satellites, so only works in japanese time. i reset mine to uk time and it hasnt reset as yet, i was thinking ths was because i hadnt actually moved it yet..... will have to see, there is a thread on here about the clock issues somewhere.

JonRWB

Premium Member
E51 Owner
If you haven't got the sat nav option (no front screen) then you just adjust it as you already have done - it won't change when you move. Mine's the same - that's why I asked :)

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
have had news today that dvla havent recieved our v5 application from the agent we used, might not even have this on the road by the end of august, well pissed off tbh, its been 21 weeks since we won the car at auction and been in the uk for over 7 now. will be doing a few more bits over the weekend but i have lost a bit of enthusiasm now so it wont be alot, maybe get the mph facia in place.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well i got the Work LS105 fitted, they just dont have enough dish for me, so i have managed to source another set but this time a very random stud PCD, i am going to swap the centres over for mine so i can have a nice big dish on all 4 wheels, rears are 9.5 x 20 with 275 tyres on, should be interesting opening the side doors lol.

We did 850km on holiday last week and it didnt miss a beat, drives really well, just needs a couple of drop links i think, on the rear.

I was hoping that my 8 pot brakes would be here waiting for me when i got back but it turns out i didnt fill in the order form online right so they didnt arrive, have now got them on the way for this week.

have started having a good clean up of door shuts and inner panels etc, staring to look clean now.

Been to the bodyshop this morning to get quotes for having the couple of dents it has got removed and to have the rear bumper fixed after it got damaged in transit on the way here.

Havent really done much else to it over the weekend, refixed the front bumper as i caught it on an incline coming out of crealy last week, bought a load of stainless steel bolts for the body kit, stainless steel strip on order so i can make new brackets for the skirts.

The new brakes are 356mm discs with 8 pot calipers, should help with slowing down nicely.

Next jobs are to get 2 more headrest dvd players installed, waiting for load resistors to turn up so i can fit all the led lights to external lights, pick up the new work wheels and get them fitted, new window tints all round, and then look into getting a supercharger setup for it, getting the charger setup is easy, getting a map on the ecu for it is not, also looking for some nice new manifolds and exhaust.