Just picked up our 2004 E51 with camper conversion!

We just picked up our first Elgrand and our first camper. 2004 E51, 4wd 3.5l petrol. Pop-up top, stove, fridge, slide out double-bed.

I think it was imported by JAL, in 2015, and the camper conversion was then done by Wellsbridge. Not even done 8000 miles in this country yet.

I've spent a lot of time reading the forums over the last few weeks which have been invaluable in assessing the vehicle prior to purchase (and have already learned lots I need to know about running it now we have it!). So thanks a lot for the help so far, and no doubt all the help in future.

Here's a photo of it, sat on Shipley Glen in West Yorkshire this afternoon just after we bought it. Took the dog for a walk and had our first cup of tea in it!

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yeh, another Elgrand camper joins the flock and the right time to get things organised ready for the spring and summer camping.

From your pictures I recognise the Vitrifrigo fridge and the SMEV 9222 sink/hob which has taken me back to this time last year when I was mid-way doing my self build - what fun that was.

Last year I had two long trips to France, spending a total of 8 weeks there, and I can hardly wait to be off again.

Have a great time in the camper and keep us updated on your adventures.:)

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
We just picked up our first Elgrand and our first camper. 2004 E51, 4wd 3.5l petrol. Pop-up top, stove, fridge, slide out double-bed.

I think it was imported by JAL, in 2015, and the camper conversion was then done by Wellsbridge. Not even done 8000 miles in this country yet.

I've spent a lot of time reading the forums over the last few weeks which have been invaluable in assessing the vehicle prior to purchase (and have already learned lots I need to know about running it now we have it!). So thanks a lot for the help so far, and no doubt all the help in future.

Here's a photo of it, sat on Shipley Glen in West Yorkshire this afternoon just after we bought it. Took the dog for a walk and had our first cup of tea in it!

Looks very nice indeed. Enjoy it and obviously use it lots but as other have pointed out, GET THOSE REAR CATS DE-CORED ASAP of it could be fatal. I would also highly suggest fitting a K&N replacement air filter in your airbox. They are only around the £50 mark and will deffo make a difference regards to extra MPG on a run. I also had my massive rear exhaust silencer box replaced with a smaller sportier free flowing item which agai has made a huge difference in terms of extra MPG on a long run. coupled with the de-cat of those pesky rear cats it will make your ride go a lot better and be a lot more efficient over here on UK roads. I averaged 28 mpg the other week on a long run.

If your also planning long trips on motorways or even abroad I would also seriously recommend having a Cruise control kit fitted if you don't currently have one. It will make all the difference.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
......... If your also planning long trips on motorways or even abroad I would also seriously recommend having a Cruise control kit fitted if you don't currently have one. It will make all the difference.
I'd love a cruise control for my Europen trips, but the price of the OEM one is.......ouch!

For @johnl there's essential things to do (cats) and nice to haves (lots of them;))

Welcome! I spy a JAL mushroom roof. If it's from JAL I doubt very much if the cats have been decored so do check.
yeah, it came with documentation from JAL but it also has docs from Wellsbridge. So I guess JAL imported it and did the roof and I guess the rustproofing (which looks mint to me), and Wellsbridge did the internal camper fitting maybe?

Thanks for the warning on the cats. I used that as a negotiating point since I had to assume it's not been done, as there is no documentation for it (and I don't know how to recognise clearly myself). I've checked the Nissan recall page and it has had the cat recall work done (in 2013) but I know that their fix isn't trusted by everyone. It's had about 40k *miles* so I wasn't going to rush into the cat work, but if what you say about improving mpg is true then I'll make more of a priority.

I've only done a few miles in it so far (and haven't figured out how to lookup/reset the existing fuel efficiency data yet) but I'll be keeping an eye on that for sure!

Thanks @JonRWB

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
I'd do cats asap, there is no point where you can say for sure they aren't going to block, it could be 40,000 miles it could be 400,000 miles but when they block they will probably kill your engine in a very expensive way.

I would also highly suggest fitting a K&N replacement air filter in your airbox. They are only around the £50 mark and will deffo make a difference regards to extra MPG on a run. I also had my massive rear exhaust silencer box replaced with a smaller sportier free flowing item which agai has made a huge difference in terms of extra MPG on a long run. coupled with the de-cat of those pesky rear cats it will make your ride go a lot better and be a lot more efficient over here on UK roads. I averaged 28 mpg the other week on a long run.

If your also planning long trips on motorways or even abroad I would also seriously recommend having a Cruise control kit fitted if you don't currently have one. It will make all the difference.
Interesting thanks. What kind of % improvement in mpg do you think the air filter is getting you? At a 2% improvement it'll only take a year for it to pay for itself at my expected mileage (given a rather large guess at cost per mile to begin with) but then, how often does it need replacing?

Same question for the exhaust - I've seen some prices for those but they could pay for themselves within the year if they give a 10% improvement. Got any numbers?

Nice to hear the cat decoring helps with mpg - another reason to get it done sooner!

Thanks @Brendan1969

I was disappointed it didn't have cruise control - I'd just assumed adding it after-market would be a ridiculous cost though. I'll look into it.

But tbh, I've never had an automatic before so it's already a very relaxing ride. But keeping it at the speed limit is admittedly a bit of a struggle - it just wants to go faster and it doesn't feel like you're going very fast! The speedo has been converted to mph at least, which helps!

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
yes, the wife plus westie lived in it for 5 weeks then 3 weeks, no problem but the sun was out most of the time so we were outside. UK camping is different of course which is one of the reasons why folks have large awnings for extra space.

The Elgrand gives compact camping and is not for everyone - we have a cycle camping background so the ellie was luxury.

we have a ~24kg springer spaniel, down from 30kg this time last year when we adopted her. At that rate we could probably squeeze another springer in next year ;)

any advice on where best to stow the dog during transit? Ours barely fits in the passenger footwell, but aren't sure she'll sit comfortably and safely on the rear seat bench. We're thinking a dog mat with a non-slip base behind the front seats, and perhaps installing a strong point to attach a dog seat belt. Or maybe even driving with the bed extended out to limit her movement (assuming, rather optimistically, she doesn't stomp around the bed :)

jason pullin

E50 Owner
Premium Member
20180121_122359.jpg
We keep our two in a cage for travelling that is tied around the base of the front seats to stop it moving other wise my jack is constantly trying to sit on your knee! If all of us are sleeping out then they sleep in there as well, it just fits with the bed out leaving no floor space or if it's just myself and my daughter then she sleeps in the roof and the dogs curl up on the end of the bed

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'd love a cruise control for my Europen trips, but the price of the OEM one is.......ouch!

For @johnl there's essential things to do (cats) and nice to haves (lots of them;))
TBH matey its not that expensive compared to having an after market kit fitted. The joy of the OEM kit is it basically plugs in to the vehicles loom and there are only a couple of wires that need powering up to a source.

If you plan on doing a lot of long trips its a must to have it done and will pay for itself in no time. Bit like a LPG kit install.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
yeah, it came with documentation from JAL but it also has docs from Wellsbridge. So I guess JAL imported it and did the roof and I guess the rustproofing (which looks mint to me), and Wellsbridge did the internal camper fitting maybe?

Thanks for the warning on the cats. I used that as a negotiating point since I had to assume it's not been done, as there is no documentation for it (and I don't know how to recognise clearly myself). I've checked the Nissan recall page and it has had the cat recall work done (in 2013) but I know that their fix isn't trusted by everyone. It's had about 40k *miles* so I wasn't going to rush into the cat work, but if what you say about improving mpg is true then I'll make more of a priority.

I've only done a few miles in it so far (and haven't figured out how to lookup/reset the existing fuel efficiency data yet) but I'll be keeping an eye on that for sure!

Thanks @JonRWB
You need to buy one of those AV monitor booklets ( £20 ) from japautospares as this shows you how to re-set the fuel computer and other stuff. Essential prior to a long run and after just being filled up.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Interesting thanks. What kind of % improvement in mpg do you think the air filter is getting you? At a 2% improvement it'll only take a year for it to pay for itself at my expected mileage (given a rather large guess at cost per mile to begin with) but then, how often does it need replacing?

Same question for the exhaust - I've seen some prices for those but they could pay for themselves within the year if they give a 10% improvement. Got any numbers?

Nice to hear the cat decoring helps with mpg - another reason to get it done sooner!

Thanks @Brendan1969
Ive been using K&N's in all my cars for 30 years. They really do make a small difference on a long run regarding MPG improvement. Its says fit and forget for 30k miles but I have ALWAYS taken mine out annually to CHECK and ROTATE through 180 degree turn ONLY and hoover any debris out of the airbox intake. I have had a K&N cleaning kit for about 15 years now and still have plenty in it too. They are the world leaders and all the F1 teams use them in the F1 cars. That's how I was introduced to them along with the " slick 50 " products by my long standing F1 team buddy who is still a senior member of a very famous F1 team.

The rear cats MUST be de-cored ASAP or be it on your own head if the worse occurs. You cannot say from now on you have not been politely warned. The middle and huge exhaust silencer box is ridiculous TBH which is why mines has been replaced with a nice sporty SS item with much better exit flow which simply improves any engines performance. Figures wise it has to be dyno tested now to see which I have not gotton around too yet as not many rolling road places around my area.

Put it this way, I spent over £2500 last year on a FULL sports exhaust system with 200 cell race cats for my V12 Aston Martin which had 420 BHP standard. Coupled with twin K&N airfilters and the zorst upgrade she is now pushing 475 BHP and once ive had her ECU re-mapped she will be nearer to just over 500 BHP.

Obviously this is not achievable with an Elgrand but with subtle and discreet mods which don't break the bank you will see and indeed feel a difference to how she runs and performs DEPENDANT on how you drive of course.