Jap tyres - a cautionary tale

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I would have thought WRM being a top dealer would have put UK compatible tyres on? If not I'd be asking why. I bought mine from Arthur Daley's grandson & I knew bugger all about Elgrands at the time - so I got caught on the tyres. They may have been ok but with my kids in the car - take no chances.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes @Phil, tyreweld is indeed the sort of thing. When I knew I'd punctured I got the tyreweld out of the glove box, bent down to the offending tyre and........ Laughed a lot!
That tyre weld is the biggest load of crap ive ever come across TBH and it pains me that manufactorors now put it in the boot instead of a spare wheel just to save bloody weight and emmisions. Its a crime I think.

The times I have stopped to assist folk on the side of the road seeing them try to inflate a blown tyre with a can of weld crap amazes me and cracks me up too. Are folk really that thick these days??? YES THEY ARE. It only works to a degree if you actually spot a tyre low ( NOT FLAT ) and you put it in and drive it for 12 miles so it expands and covers the hole inside.

I have always carried a spare wheel and often always bought a set of 5 alloys too. If your touring and travelling long distances then a spare wheel or 2 if you have space are a must these days.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I would have thought WRM being a top dealer would have put UK compatible tyres on? If not I'd be asking why. I bought mine from Arthur Daley's grandson & I knew bugger all about Elgrands at the time - so I got caught on the tyres. They may have been ok but with my kids in the car - take no chances.
I was quite happy with the tyres Phil at time of purchase and they came with the wheels too which were off another stock Elgrand. Being Falken they are a good brand tyre and seeing as I only really do low mile trips I decided to keep them. Don't worry WRM were fine and I had many other things from them as part of the deal so the compromise was my choice and not theirs.

I will though have a new set fitted soon with a slightly higher side wall profile from 40 to 45

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm currently running 19 inch alloys with a suspension set up which was on the E51 when she arrived from Japan. What I do know is that my E51 was loved by its previous 1 family owner who specified the vehicle and its spec from new. Its also been looked after service wise as all the tags are present in the engine bay area.

The tyres currently fitted are falken's ( 245/40/R19's ) and I'm presuming are from Japan. They all have around 4-5mm left on them with slight signs of cracks showing albeit slight but I think I will have them all replaced with a new set soon and looking at going up to a 45 profile side wall too for a tad more tyre if its possible. I love the low ride look of mine too so don't really want to start adjusting the set up if I can help it. The ride quality is not the best ive had but I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth and I just drive as defensively as I can to avoid pot holes and alike but once she is on the motorways she rides smooth as hell dependant of course of which motorway your on at the time. LOL
I have changed mine as the rears were from Japan, the tyres were removed and full of perished rubber!! The guy said it was lucky they did not blow after travelling 6000KM around Europe!!
I am currently running 225/40/R19 on 8.5 inch up front and 245/35/R19 on 9.5 inch rears however I have just noticed that my speedo will be out by around 5%... maybe I need to go up a profile!? :confused:

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I have changed mine as the rears were from Japan, the tyres were removed and full of perished rubber!! The guy said it was lucky they did not blow after travelling 6000KM around Europe!!
I am currently running 225/40/R19 on 8.5 inch up front and 245/35/R19 on 9.5 inch rears however I have just noticed that my speedo will be out by around 5%... maybe I need to go up a profile!? :confused:
I plan to go up a profile if I can. I'm currently running 245/40/R19 98W's on all 4 corners so if I can I will go to 245/45/R19 in order I get a tad more side wall and ride comfort.

My tyre man I use will put me right as he always does. I use Save on tyres in Swindon.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Cheers Richard. I plan to go see them later for a price on a set of those new Maxxis tyres which they are agents for and they swear by them for many differing reasons. I been using this firm for years and they really know their stuff. The owner Andy recently attended a meeting for tyre company owners at Silverstone circuit where Maxxis laid on a variety of different car/vehicles fitted with differing sizes of Maxxis branded tyres. Ive watched the video myself and they all give brilliant reviews on these tyres as an excellent " all rounder " in all conditions so I think I will opt for a new set of these for my E51 along with a another new set of RED " alloy gator " rim guards which ive had fitted by these guys on 2 of my previous cars. They are great and look good too so a Red set will compliment my Red roof spoiler. :)