Jap tyres - a cautionary tale

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thank you @Alan Morgan . Appreciate you highlighting the issue & glad you are safe & well :)

As we both have a 2002 E51 xl, can you tell me what replacement tyres you decided on please. There's some good tips from members above but I'd like to get as many opinions as possible before I start a bit of research ready for next week.

Christopher

Premium Member
I'm the original poster of this thread - I couldn't upload my blown tyre pic at the time, but here it is - looks rather familiar to @headless 's near catastrophe.

The response to this posting has obviously brought the subject to a useful head for many - maybe the ADMIN folks could consider making it a 'sticky' for others to read, especially new members?

View attachment 296
That's a good idea seeing it is such a big safety concern.

headless

Moderator / Rock Star
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
might be a good idea doing a sticky highlighting the jap tyre issue and the decat thing on the E51's and 52's and any other need to know things concerning these cars!!!

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thank you @Alan Morgan . ........As we both have a 2002 E51 xl, can you tell me what replacement tyres you decided on please. .............
  • I am not knowledgeable about tyres at all.
  • After my tyre burst I had to be transported home (LPG tank - no spare wheel carried!). In discussion with the vehicle recovery driver of 22 years experience, he was of the view that there was little to differentiate 'named' tyres from known budget brands (apart from price of course).
  • I settled for KUMHO ECOWING 215/65R16 98H at £80 each inc VAT, balancing, etc.
  • If I'd had the time I'd have gone for one of the on-line services that come to your house and fit and saved a few quid, but I was in a rush to go on holiday for a few days so settled for my local tyre shop.
  • What I will say is that the ride quality was much better with the new tyres (less wallow and road vibration) which was as much to do with the poor state of the Jap tyres as anything else.
  • I am now looking at ways to carry the space saver tyre before I depart for France in May;)

Ian e51

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi i had yokohama tyres when i got mine.They were japanese market and were old but with low miles.The grip was terrible.Now on michelin cross climates in the same size.Loads better.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Let's see if this works, this is the jap tyre blown out!!
I've just looked more closely at @headless picture of the blown tyre. Unlike my tyre which had many small cracks between the raised treads (to which I'd attributed the reason for tyre failure being down to water ingress and slow rotting), his seemed fine in this respect.

Hence my hypothesis was likely rubbish but not as rubbish as those Japanese tyres!

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've had another look at mine & they've got a European mark on them - E4 which is Netherlands manufactured so you'd think they would be ok for UK driving.

Don't shout at me I'm not changing my mind :) there's enough evidence above for me thank you. The thought of driving the family to the Highlands & back in the summer with a full load of luggage on dodgy tyres scares the heck out of me.

Michelin cross climates seems to be a popular choice so I better start saving up if I decide on those :eek:

Travellingman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
anything new has to be better than something thats been on the vehicle for 8/9 years , lots of choices , and opinions as to whats best , price is not always the deciding factor , cheaper [budget] tyres usually harder so less grip but last longer , dearer sticky tyres better grip but less miles .

Travellingman

E50 Owner
Premium Member
I bought Athena 6 215/65/16 100h , they grip well , and the wear seems ok , next time I want a more agressive tread as we seem to end up on forest and unmade roads on our travels .

waz

E50 Owner
Premium Member
I've had another look at mine & they've got a European mark on them - E4 which is Netherlands manufactured so you'd think they would be ok for UK driving.

Don't shout at me I'm not changing my mind :) there's enough evidence above for me thank you. The thought of driving the family to the Highlands & back in the summer with a full load of luggage on dodgy tyres scares the heck out of me.

Michelin cross climates seems to be a popular choice so I better start saving up if I decide on those :eek:
Exactly the same for us Phil, heading to the Highlands in October, where abouts are you off to?

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi Mark,

We've had a bit of a nightmare with it this week . The agents phoned us to say the cottage we booked back in January had sold - if we'd known it was up for sale we wouldn't have booked it in the first place - tw*ts! That was in Helmsdale, Sutherland.

We love Sutherland so I've been looking all week & it's been hard to find much this late but managed to book a cottage in Lairg so fingers crossed we'll be up there. You can actually drive your car up there without damn traffic lights & roundabouts every few hundred yards. Where are you off to?

Re the tyres I went for mid range Avon ZX7 on mine in the end. Booked online through National Tyres for local fitting at £86 per tyre. They seem pretty good but it's too early to give a proper review or thumbs up.

waz

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Hi Mark,

We've had a bit of a nightmare with it this week . The agents phoned us to say the cottage we booked back in January had sold - if we'd known it was up for sale we wouldn't have booked it in the first place - tw*ts! That was in Helmsdale, Sutherland.

We love Sutherland so I've been looking all week & it's been hard to find much this late but managed to book a cottage in Lairg so fingers crossed we'll be up there. You can actually drive your car up there without damn traffic lights & roundabouts every few hundred yards. Where are you off to?

Re the tyres I went for mid range Avon ZX7 on mine in the end. Booked online through National Tyres for local fitting at £86 per tyre. They seem pretty good but it's too early to give a proper review or thumbs up.
Bugger!! Sorry to hear that.

We had a similar thing a while ago, found a fantastic house around Achnacraig, went to book it then we noticed the property was up for sale, it eventually sold and obviously none of the bookings were honoured!

We normally head off to Skye/Kyle of Lochalsh area, but this time we're taking the dog so staying around the Fort William area, at a place called Ardgour. Seems a quiet place and the town (Including petrol stations lol) aren't that far away.

Thanks for the info on the tyres, look forward to your review!

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just a quick update on the Avon ZX7 tyres as promised. They've been fine for driving on the roads around home for the last few months & last week I did nearly 2 thousand miles on them during a trip to the Scottish Highlands. They're not too noisy & I was never worried about the grip around sharp bends in wet or dry conditions which is the main concern for such a big vehicle so I'm very pleased with them up until now.

I've heard a few negatives about them because they are apparently a soft tyre so durability may be a problem in the future. But for now I'm happy with the grip & overall performance at £86 fitted per tyre. :)

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm currently running 19 inch alloys with a suspension set up which was on the E51 when she arrived from Japan. What I do know is that my E51 was loved by its previous 1 family owner who specified the vehicle and its spec from new. Its also been looked after service wise as all the tags are present in the engine bay area.

The tyres currently fitted are falken's ( 245/40/R19's ) and I'm presuming are from Japan. They all have around 4-5mm left on them with slight signs of cracks showing albeit slight but I think I will have them all replaced with a new set soon and looking at going up to a 45 profile side wall too for a tad more tyre if its possible. I love the low ride look of mine too so don't really want to start adjusting the set up if I can help it. The ride quality is not the best ive had but I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth and I just drive as defensively as I can to avoid pot holes and alike but once she is on the motorways she rides smooth as hell dependant of course of which motorway your on at the time. LOL