Intro

no1sloot

E51 Owner
Hi all. So I bought a 2004 Highway Star in white today, completely unmarked inside and out with a half and half grey/black interior. I had seen these beasts flying around on the odd occasion and always liked the look of them. My Alfa Romeo did what Alfa's do last week (died) and so now was the time! I researched a fair bit before deciding to commit and went to view and I would like to thank this forum for providing a wealth of knowledge in the process. I fell in love with it immediately and am still trying to figure out how I have got such a lovely machine for such a good price. I have driven and been in may VW TD4/5's and this thing puts them to shame, why are there so few on the road???
I went for better condition over spec so have been left without a reversing camera, subwoofer or rear DVD (the others had all this but did not look or drive as well). Not massively put out by the lack of these but I may try and install some sort of parking sensor.

Anyway, thanks again, I look forward to chatting.

Sloot

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Mpg and tax would be highest rate if officially imported and early - mid e51 would have competed directly with Espace which even shared the vq35. Espace safety was a big feature not sure if e51 would fare so well in Euro tests.

Why aren’t more imported and driven now? Just mpg.

All the things you mention are easy to fit and you should find all info you need on here

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
You'll find when it comes to fitting a screen in the back that it's easier not having one to start with. You have more of a blank canvas, and less OE wiring to battle with.
Subwoofer is easy to fit if you want to add one. Just need to run the cables down the side from the head unit, and buy a small unit if you want to retain all the space... or go mental like some of us (me included) and whack 2 big subs in the boot and forget about putting anything else behind the rear seats.
Reversing camera is also an easy job, just means running more cables which is time consuming more than difficult.

Other than that - welcome aboard. I'm glad the forum has helped you to feel confident in your purchase. It's what we're here for.

If you need anything, just shout up.

no1sloot

E51 Owner
You'll find when it comes to fitting a screen in the back that it's easier not having one to start with. You have more of a blank canvas, and less OE wiring to battle with.
Subwoofer is easy to fit if you want to add one. Just need to run the cables down the side from the head unit, and buy a small unit if you want to retain all the space... or go mental like some of us (me included) and whack 2 big subs in the boot and forget about putting anything else behind the rear seats.
Reversing camera is also an easy job, just means running more cables which is time consuming more than difficult.

Other than that - welcome aboard. I'm glad the forum has helped you to feel confident in your purchase. It's what we're here for.

If you need anything, just shout up.
Hi Karl, Phil & Mr Rob,

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. Great to know that the little extras I want are no big deal, with regards to the woofer, it will be a small one as I need that boot space! I am already chatting to someone on here regarding a camera and they being very helpful.

Two of my mates saw the Elgrand today and now want one!

Great forum, keep up the good work!