Importing, patience and a mix up

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
If you do it your self Chris. Use bilt hamber stuff . Comes in big aerosols good stuff
I was going to go with dinitrol, but will have a Google now and see.

I have access to pillar ramps so it should be easy enough to DIY that way.

Edit: @Chasdad that does sound good. 5 litres and an aerosol for sills should be ok do you think?

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Well the car is home (still waiting on plates) but it's got an MOT so I'm going to add final costs here so anyone looking can work out the UK side.

Cost of car, all Japanese costs and shipping to the UK came to £3,839 but take £220 off that as I spent that on seat covers in Japan. So £3,639

UK side fees are as follows
Customs £383.90
VAT £899.84
Clearance fee £49.00
Handling £70
Admin fee £25
DTI £2.50
Lorry to home £130
DVLA fee. £55

So grand total is £5,254.40

I'm happy with that, I've not included road tax or MOT as that's something I'd pay on any car. I've got a 2004 Rider S grade 4B and looking at dealers I'd say on average I'm about £2500 better off for it.

I enjoyed the process of importing a lot, and can see me doing it again in a year or two if I fall in love with Elgrands.

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well the car is home (still waiting on plates) but it's got an MOT so I'm going to add final costs here so anyone looking can work out the UK side.

Cost of car, all Japanese costs and shipping to the UK came to £3,839 but take £220 off that as I spent that on seat covers in Japan. So £3,639

UK side fees are as follows
Customs £383.90
VAT £899.84
Clearance fee £49.00
Handling £70
Admin fee £25
DTI £2.50
Lorry to home £130
DVLA fee. £55

So grand total is £5,254.40

I'm happy with that, I've not included road tax or MOT as that's something I'd pay on any car. I've got a 2004 Rider S grade 4B and looking at dealers I'd say on average I'm about £2500 better off for it.

I enjoyed the process of importing a lot, and can see me doing it again in a year or two if I fall in love with Elgrands.
IF you fall in love...... @Chris T! :eek: Theres no way you won't fall in love with an Elgrand, you had better tell the Mrs's mate theres another love in your life! lol

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
I never tried direct line.
My importer was going to take it for mot register and deliver it .so I won't have to insure until plates arrive. But I've got a rare weekend free and fancy it on my drive thus weekend
I made the choice that once it hits the UK I wanted to be responsible for it as I didn't want to be sitting and waiting for someone else to sort it all out. So I agree, if you've got the time to sort it yourself go for it.

Direct line said I could drive it as long as the journey was relating to the registering of vehicle. So from Port to pre booked MOT was fine, from port to home wouldn't be (I guess) but I could technically have also drive it to the DVLA to drop off registration papers too. Now MOT is done, I drove it home and its on my drive as I have no excuse to drive it 😁

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Just got call from wife, my registration is back, so if you live local enough seems it's worth driving to the DVLA to drop paperwork work off, as i gave it to them after 4 on a Friday, so earliest they would have looked would have been Tuesday (bank holiday Monday) and I've got it back today.

Also has my initials as first 2 letters 😁

Last edited:

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Plates are on now, but I'm fighting the urge to drive it at all until decat is done, which will be Sunday, then couple of days running around it before I give it up again for a few days for an underseal.

Quick note I forgot to mention the DVLA processed my V55-5 without the Nova letter.

Just got call from wife, my registration is back, so if you live local enough seems it's worth driving to the DVLA to drop paperwork work off, as i gave it to them after 4 on a Friday, so earliest they would have looked would have been Tuesday (bank holiday Monday) and I've got it back today.

Also has my initials as first 2 letters 😁
Chris T is this dvla at swansea?
If yes, its too far for me ..😞
Seems to be only one left in UK .

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Lucky You ..:)
Did you use jcshipping to deliver ellie for you ?
how long it took from the day it arrived at port please ?
They didn't no, they were having trouble with lack of vehicle trucks using bristol these days, they did have someone available but it wouldn't have been until the Wednesday (which was a week after it landed) i got it collected by someone from my town on the Monday, so he was 2 days quicker 😁

Cheryle at jcshipping was awesomely helpful in everything though.