Importing, patience and a mix up

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
You cant register it without an mot can you . I can't remember. If that's the case I drove mine to mot without it
No you can't, you need MOT and insurance to register it. I've submitted the registration at the DVLA today, car is insured, road tax paid for, so I'd think (hope) I'd be ok to drive it home from MOT station. It's proven road worthy etc.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
I think only on trade plates matey.
That's seriously messed up if so.

Edit: vehicle excise and registration act of 1994 states it's an offence to drive without a fixed registration mark that relates to the vehicle. However then says unless

it is being driven for the purposes of, or in connection with, its examination under section 45 of the M2Road Traffic Act 1988 in circumstances in which its use is exempted from subsection (1) of section 47 of that Act by regulations under subsection (6) of that section, or

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
No you can't, you need MOT and insurance to register it. I've submitted the registration at the DVLA today, car is insured, road tax paid for, so I'd think (hope) I'd be ok to drive it home from MOT station. It's proven road worthy etc.
Best thing to do is go to you local plod shop with all your documents and proof etc and ask them if you can drive it home with no plate on it.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
That could be an issue depending on what you mean by all the documents. The DVLA have a good chunk of originals at the moment, including MOT and import cert.

I of course have proof of insurance, driver's license etc.
To be 100% safe and sure ask plod mate as these wil be the ones who pull you over if your unlucky enough to be seen.

george shacklady

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Should be no problem but for your own peace of mind look it up on gov site it tells you that you can take a copy of were it says you can as not all police are up with importing a car from japan that is what i always have with me

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Thank you all, am insured with direct line, and when I took out insurance I was told only to be driven when it was a journey to do with completing registration of the vehicle. So an MOT would certainly cover that.

blingo

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Go for it then!

Don't crash and you'll be fine anyhow - chances of getting stopped are pretty slim, when did you last see a traffic cop?!!

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Well I've just driven my Elgrand for the first time 😁😁😁😁 was a bit nervy getting down into my lane but if I go slow the bumper doesn't catch.

What a nippy van, so use to driving a diesel pickup that this thing felt very fast.

Now can someone explain how Aircon works please?