import tax

george shacklady

Premium Member
E51 Owner
This question as come about through the discussion on import taxes
This is something some one may know something about if I have work done on my car in Japan say fog light and speedo conversion should I pay import tax and VAT on the work carried out

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
I believe you would pay important tax on total cost of car. So if the car is £2000 and £100 in fog light etc then you will pay it on £2100 and the shipping, insurances etc

This is why a CiF price is easiest to work on as that includes shipping, agent fees, insurance, and then you get shafted by HMRC on that total, so yes I'd say any conversion work would be part of that, IF that's how it's invoiced.

george shacklady

Premium Member
E51 Owner
What if the work is billed by separate invoice after delivery of car to UKand the work is carried out by agent in japan
What do I do say nothing and just see if it is picked up by anyone

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Me personally yes I'd do exactly that if the work was carried out by/for the agent then in my eyes there is no duty to pay on it, then you'd pay the agent for the service of getting it done (which seems to be more grey than black and white) and see what happens.

I think I'd prefer that work done in the UK as a) it's cheap and b) you have some come back if there was a fault

Last edited:

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Vat and import duty should be paid on total cost of everything related to its import. Any shortfalls or misrepresentation is at YOUR risk. However remote you think the likelihood of being caught are.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
But what happens if you bought a car at auction Japan have it inspected and then decided to re-sell it in Japanese Auction... then import another car...