E51 How to remove series 3 cd player ?

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi Everyone,

There are lots of threads about series 1 and 2 head units, but I cant find much about removing a series 3 cd player, for repair not replacement. It has worked well until today, and has started spitting out disks which it has played many times before. I suspect either the spindle druve belt has gone, or head not reading.

If anyone has removed the cd player from a series 3 I would be grateful for some pointers. It looks like a completely different setup to S1and S2, it may come out as onw whole unit rather than remove trim and access modules.

Thanks in advance. I have raved about the Series 3 system here before, and now it lets me down

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
OK for future reference, and anyone who might need it down the track. Disconnect that battery to reduce the risk of blowing a fuse from trapped cables etc. Pop out the aircon control panel with a plastic trim removal tool or spudger, it just clips in so be firm but gentle. That then can be unplugged and removed , there are two multipin connectors.

Remove the trim from below the centre console panel and just above the cup holders. Again this just pops out and is secured by clips all around it. You can now see 4 screws at the top and 4 screws at the bottom that need to be removed.

Before pulling the console forward, unscrew the gear knob and remove it, it just unscrews from the shaft. The gear stick remains in place and doesnt need to come out. Also make sure there is no Compact Flash card inserted in the CF socket. The centre console should now be free to gently pull forward, the cable looms at the back are short so it wont move far, but just enough to access the connectors. Carefully remove each conector, labelling and taking pics as you go until the whole unit can be removed. Once its out, the stereo unit can be removed from its mounting brackets. It is a 2 DIN unit with the front panel controls connected by an umbilical cord.

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Further to this CD repair project, once the Series 3 OEM stereo/nav unit is removed, the top can be taken off and the CD/DVD player is modular and can be removed from the rest of the unit and repaired/replaced. Here's a photo of the CD player module removed from the main box.

cd player.JPG

sppooky

Hi spuddyo just came across your above post. Does that mean the series 3's (like series 2 and 1) cd/sat nav can be easily replaced by something like a double Din Xtrons head unit?

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
No a series 3 stereo cant be easily replaced. It is integrated into the vehicle and incorporates service reminders etc and connects to the CANbuss system. Look at the pic attached to see the interface connections, way more than a standard system. In mine I just replaced the faulty CD drive which can be removed from the whole assembley.

Attachments

sppooky

cool. I suppose i'm just looking at it from getting a working sat nav although i know i can simply just use a phone and cast device

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I added this one for $85. It features a full screen analog speedo too with speed limit alerts. The Elgrand touch GPS.JPG screen in the pic is displaying Music Box, a great feature.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Yep it’s s1/2 headunit, nav module, and trip / service/ carwings, modules all rolled into one unit.