E51 High revs on idle

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Do we have a diagnostic tool for an e51 that doesn't need hooking upto a laptop like the consult 3 software?

A Gucci little plug it in and away we go type setup?
Nope. ££££ dealer level diagnostics with Asian car capabilities or knock off Consult 2/3 and Windows. NDS is engine only afaik.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes datascan2 is only for ECM.

icarsoft doesn't need laptop or phone for diagnostics but I think you need a PC to download software before you use it. It scans more than just ECM too.

I think @MrRob_in has one as well so he will put me right if my memory has failed me again :)

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
God it all sounds " kin mental " to me!!!!!! LOL

I will start with checking my idle speed once warmed up tomorrow. All sounds perfect BTW and she runs, starts perfectly. The selling dealer has also fully serviced her and fitted new spark plugs at my request too and ive fitted a new K&N air filter this morning so I would imagine the car needs to get used to it all in the first instance.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Checked my idle speed today after a short drive and fully warmed up which takes no time at all and to me is a great sigh all is well coolant side of the engine.

Mine is idling at a tad just off 1000 rpm which I think is high. It don't sound high but I think it is or could it be that the car is not yet fully used to the new K&N air filter I fitted yesterday???

I plan to take her up to Nottingham this weekend and I may pop and see Brian @ BMR if he is around??? Brian, if your on here let me know please??. LOL.

Ive pretty much mastered all the heater/AC controls now which TBH are quite easy and most of the buttons are in English anyway and the top section of the dash is all in Japanese which baffles me!!! LOL but there you go.

What I do want to know please guys is what is the tiny lamp/bulb button for adjacent to the headlight adjustment dial and the trip reset buttons??? and when pressed what can I expect to see happen??

Regards,

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Brilliant info guys! After a couple of months of idling at 1k rpm I finally remembered to try its

View attachment 1439 View attachment 1440

It didn’t work first time but blipping the accelerator during the 20 second learn period (hitting 4.5k rpm) it then fell back to 750 ish rpm

B)
So Rob, is the last section on this description the way to perform it???

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
It did not work Rob. Followed the list as per and she is still idling at 1000rpm!!! It says when " MiL " stops flashing??? What is the MiL and I did not see anything on the dash pod flashing at all.

Confused.com big time now
MiL “Check Engine light — more formally known as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)”

You need to practice the ‘peddle dance’ You’ll get there eventually :p

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
MiL “Check Engine light — more formally known as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)”

You need to practice the ‘peddle dance’ You’ll get there eventually :p
I will keep trying Rob. Will repeated attempts cause problems???