Hi to All, from down under

Tony52

E51 Owner
We have just purchased our new ( 2005 Elgrand E51, 4WD ) Japan import. Will pick up from Melbourne in a week and a half. We are both looking forward to learning lots from this forum and also looking forward to lots of adventures in the next few years.
Tony & Sharyn

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Assuming the Elgrand you have is the one in your avatar, it looks like a stunner!

Welcome to the club! Make sure you get the rear cats removed or de-cored asap!

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Have a look in the "read here before you ask section". Or do a search for "Elgrand Cat Issue". There is loads of information out there.

Long story short, get them removed (if you are allowed to remove cats in Aus) or have them de-cored (which is what we do in the UK).

stevegask

Hi All,
Now have our Elgrand sitting in the carport. De-cored the rear cats 2 days after getting home, took around 3.5 hours. Very happy with how the job went.
Hi Tony and Sharyn - I'm from South West Victoria - a big welcome. I'm only a newbie myself and still don't actually own an Elgrand yet - though I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a suitable unit as soon as our funds allow. I'm going to test drive my first ever on Sunday - an E51 Rider. Like a silly kid, I find myself really looking forward to the drive - but hey, you've gotta start somewhere right?

Are you on the road with yours now - and if so have you done any economy tests? I've noticed a lot of the chats on here are about that subject or LPG conversions, so I guess that it's really important?

Cheers

Steve

Tony52

E51 Owner
Hi Tony and Sharyn - I'm from South West Victoria - a big welcome. I'm only a newbie myself and still don't actually own an Elgrand yet - though I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a suitable unit as soon as our funds allow. I'm going to test drive my first ever on Sunday - an E51 Rider. Like a silly kid, I find myself really looking forward to the drive - but hey, you've gotta start somewhere right?

Are you on the road with yours now - and if so have you done any economy tests? I've noticed a lot of the chats on here are about that subject or LPG conversions, so I guess that it's really important?

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,
Yes did an economy run from Healesville to just over the border of NSW on our pickup trip, got 10 km per litre. Thought this wasn't too bad as we went over the dividing range. I'm sure you'll enjoy your first drive. We are very happy with ours, it is running great and a very comfortable drive.
We bought ours from Autoproject in Warrigal Road Cheltenham. They have a large range of import elgrands but sorry to tell you we got the pick of them 😄 No still lots more good ones there.
Tony

Hi Steve,
Yes did an economy run from Healesville to just over the border of NSW on our pickup trip, got 10 km per litre.
Hey Tony - nice to hear from you. 10 km per litre is fantastic (10 litres/100 km) from a 2-tonne body = (28.25 mpg) I'm loving it! I get that from my Honda Prelude with the H22A1 2.2 litre FOUR cylinder engine.

Tony52

E51 Owner
Morning Steve. Yes we are happy with economy. I drive pretty steady but I also think the cruise control helps. Shame they aren't fitted to all. In the yard of over 20 only 3 had the cruise. Over the years we have driven all over Oz with work and cruise has become a must, also helps keep the speeding tickets down.

Shame they aren't fitted to all. In the yard of over 20 only 3 had the cruise. Over the years we have driven all over Oz with work and cruise has become a must, also helps keep the speeding tickets down.
Yeah - I hear ya - I always use cruise on the Prelude, partly because of the speeding factor and also because I'm lazy and it just makes driving that much easier and more pleasant. :)

In my opinion, the Japs have not fitted cruise to many of the Elgrands because I assume most of their driving is shorter, whereas lots of us in Oz do longer trips more often? It's a shame because it's not cheap as an aftermarket fit. I was quoted $750 once on a Ford Probe - see top photo (here) that I was considering. I was really surprised that it was not fitted as standard on that car - being US made, I mean they had all the gadgets on their cars way back when I was a teenager (absolutely yonks ago). :eek:

Steve

Last edited:
Yeah, some real beauties - but our budget tops out at about $11,000 - so some are ruled out simply on price alone. And if possible I'm also hunting pre-fitted LPG. Mind you - @Tony52 gave some absolutely awesome - straight petrol results on his distance running! :grinning:

To those in the know - are @Tony52 figures regular and repeatable do you think? I mean most of our driving here is 100 kph (62 mph) - with the odd foray into 70 kph (43.5 mph) towns?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited: