Hi all

One other thing.... I get the feeling I'll be saying that alot πŸ€”πŸ˜‚... What are Nissan dealers like if you need to order something for your Elgrand? I know servicing items and general wear an tear stuff are available after market, as Blue print do a load of stuff for it. But if you needed something only a dealer could get, are they generally helpful or not interested since its an import? With my Isuzu I've always had first class customer care, my local dealer is always helpful. Mind you I've spent a small fortune keeping that thing in the road this past year. Isuzu head office even sent me a later a month or so ago, valuing me as a customer so much I'm now entitled to their "staff discount" rates even tho I am in no way associated with Isuzu or any of their dealers other than to order parts from my local one. I just wondered what were other peoples experiences with their cars.

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Avoid the main dealers as they will know pretty much NOTHING about the Elgrands and or wont be bothered either. As Phil mentioned above there are guys online who can help and supply you with what you need. japautospares are also excellent too.

Regarding reliability, its much like anything else. Look after it and it will look after you. Abuse it and it will cost you. DEARLY in this case being a JDM vehicle.

One thing that has always really annoyed me is that some of the breakers will try and seriously over charge you for a part you may need in order they can make mega bucks. I know its business but there is business and there is pure greed in my book. After all they probably have only paid a few hundred quid for the vehicle in the first place off the owner who cant afford to fix it up say after a crash or major component failure. However I do get great satisfaction when I see all their bits and bobs UNSOLD all the time on ebay. Says it all really don't it.

Last edited:
It's incredibly selfish and annoying, but to an extent the breaker has the upper hand and they know it. They just abuse it.

Regarding the reliability question, I was just curious. My trooper I knew about about the common foibles before I was given it, so knew what to expect. The Elgrand I'm having difficulty finding much, so that can only be a good thing πŸ€”πŸ‘

Thanks again

Been looking and thinking..... I think I may blow my current budget out the water and spend a bit more, around Β£10k max. Find a nice, low mileage as new as possible example. Thing is, our Elgrand will do probably about 15k miles a year. Are they dependable enough for that? I'm going to want to keep it a good few years to, so I'll probably put 60000+ miles on the clock myself. Fuel economy doesn't bother me, used to have gas guzzlers. I just don't know how well it would stand up to the test of time and mileage. If I go for a really nice 2002/2003 low mileage model, is that better than say a 2004/2005 with a higher mileage? Is there anything I will need to look into sorting as the mileage clocks up?

As an example, 2002 to 2007 (the mk 3) 3.2 diesel shoguns have an inbuilt design flaw. The fuel pump fails. Its a ticking time bomb, it Will fail at some point. Replacement is around Β£2000. 2007 model (mk 4) has a different design of pump and fuel system, and that doesn't fail. So if I was to buy one, it'd be 2007 onwards.

I'm just desperate to make sure the Elgrand doesn't have any similar concerns between models. I won't be allowed to spend any money on expensive fixes πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Thank you for reading this long winded and probably poorly explained post. Any help, advice/guidance greatly appreciated πŸ‘

Ian 😊

george shacklady

E51 Owner
Beaker920 dont buy from dealer wait the time and buy from auction but get a good agent, one that looks over the cars in japan for you.
I have purchased at least 6 cars all different models form my family and as long as you get a high grade 4,b and above you will not go wrong
I have used Japautoagent every time and they have never let me down on quality they have always produced better than I could of imagined
Yes you pay for the better service but it is well worth the extra cost

Last edited:

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Avoid the main dealers as they will know pretty much NOTHING about the Elgrands and or wont be bothered either. As Phil mentioned above there are guys online who can help and supply you with what you need. japautospares are also excellent too.

Regarding reliability, its much like anything else. Look after it and it will look after you. Abuse it and it will cost you. DEARLY in this case being a JDM vehicle.

One thing that has always really annoyed me is that some of the breakers will try and seriously over charge you for a part you may need in order they can make mega bucks. I know its business but there is business and there is pure greed in my book. After all they probably have only paid a few hundred quid for the vehicle in the first place off the owner who cant afford to fix it up say after a crash or major component failure. However I do get great satisfaction when I see all their bits and bobs UNSOLD all the time on ebay. Says it all really don't it.
Hey brend if you can get me e51s in any condition for a few hundred quid i will give you another few hundred on top of that for everyone you can get and pay my recovery driver to go anyway in the uk to pick it up and bring it back mate....do we have a deal?

Yes parts for e51s are expensive, but then so are the motors, even as breakers. Some people tend to think breakers are breakers and all cost the same, not so, a nissan micra costs around Β£150 as a breaker , a nissan elgrand can cost upto ten tines that amount and more. So prorater you can expect a similar part for an elgrand to cost ten times more than a similar part for a micra.
As with any business no matter what business your in, its all about supply and demand, high demand items command a much higher price as supply is limited and those parts sell out quickly., other items low demand sell cheap just to get rid.
For example a nearside wing mirror Β£120- Β£240 and a constant demand.
2wd e51 gearbox Β£120 probably the cheapest a/t gearbox you will find anywhere..... only ever sold two of them .
Obviously like anything the more popular the cars become, the more of them there is about then the cheaper the parts become, as is the case with e50s parts are much cheaper than e51s as there is more e50 breakers about and they can be bought for a few hundred quid.
That said i wll always discount preminium club members and beat any price from a commercial seller for any part in the SAME condition..... cant say fairer than than can i lads?
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hey brend if you can get me e51s in any condition for a few hundred quid i will give you another few hundred on top of that for everyone you can get and pay my recovery driver to go anyway in the uk to pick it up and bring it back mate....do we have a deal?

Yes parts for e51s are expensive, but then so are the motors, even as breakers. Some people tend to think breakers are breakers and all cost the same, not so, a nissan micra costs around Β£150 as a breaker , a nissan elgrand can cost upto ten tines that amount and more. So prorater you can expect a similar part for an elgrand to cost ten times more than a similar part for a micra.
As with any business no matter what business your in, its all about supply and demand, high demand items command a much higher price as supply is limited and those parts sell out quickly., other items low demand sell cheap just to get rid.
For example a nearside wing mirror Β£120- Β£240 and a constant demand.
2wd e51 gearbox Β£120 probably the cheapest a/t gearbox you will find anywhere..... only ever sold two of them .
Obviously like anything the more popular the cars become, the more of them there is about then the cheaper the parts become, as is the case with e50s parts are much cheaper than e51s as there is more e50 breakers about and they can be bought for a few hundred quid.
That said i wll always discount preminium club members and beat any price from a commercial seller for any part in the SAME condition..... cant say fairer than than can i lads?
Steve
Tojomotorsuk
I'll see what I can find Steve albeit no one is knocking you buddy so hope your not taking it personal as its not intended at you at all in anyway. Others I have dealt with have been real knobs and hold folk to ransom on parts. Just like car main dealers I suppose. Bend you over and pump you hard all day long with a big grin on their faces.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
second hand parts are only worth what you're willing to pay for them. Supply & demand is a factor if you're desperate for a rare part though. I would normally haggle if I wasn't happy with a price for something "used" but the 2 items I've bought from @stevemen have been good value & as described.

I would never recommend anybody on this forum unless I've had a good first hand experience. But I wouldn't hesitate to mention if I have bad experiences from the same people in future because that is what a club/forum is all about. :)

@stevemen & @BMR as I mentioned above will always be my first port of call for used & new parts :)

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'll see what I can find Steve albeit no one is knocking you buddy so hope your not taking it personal as its not intended at you at all in anyway. Others I have dealt with have been real knobs and hold folk to ransom on parts. Just like car main dealers I suppose. Bend you over and pump you hard all day long with a big grin on their faces.
Well theres no fun in that brendan.... not unless they are twisting your ears and shouting "squeal like a pig fat boy" at the same time! Lol