Hi all

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just answered my own question, a bit of research shows jap car finder are known clockers, and some people who purchased cars from them have been contacted by trading standards to make them aware. Not good.

Ian
That's not good to read about. There are plenty of other dodgy dealers out there too who are all connected up and down the country. One of them was jailed for 18 months a few years ago in Birmingham for selling seriously clocked Elgrands and other vehicles he and his associated dealers were selling. I actually went to court and watched from the public gallery as he was sent down crying like a little baby he was. Sadly he is out and still trading Elgrands down Heathrow area and most likely still dodgy as they come too along with all his other same sort dealers.

Best avoid all of them I say like the plague.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Did you import your Elgrand Brendan1969? Just tried to quote the above post and my tablet went bonkers πŸ˜‚

Ian
No mate, I bought my first Elgrand a few years ago from the one and only Jail bird dealer:p. It went wrong within about a week with the MAFF sensor and intercooler going duff. He bullshitted me to hell for a few weeks but in the end he relented and paid only for a new MAFF sensor which George from DCY supplied and posted direct to me once he had been paid by yours truly. As for the intercooler I had to have that re-furbished totally by Arrow Radiators over in Westbury Wiltshire. They did an awesome job for me albeit was not cheap @ Β£350 collected and re-delivered but I was week leading up to Xmas so they pulled out all the stops for me so I could drive North. My brother in law was also caught out to the tune of 7k by them as his E50 blew up 2 days in to ownership:cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat: they collected it and he never saw it again and 12 weeks later ( just prior to him being banged up ) they offered him another E50 from their stock which he took and still has to this day. It aint much to look at but its a strong one.

I bought my current and second E51 Rider from a reputable dealer called Worcester road Motors in Stourport on Severn Worcestershire. I am very happy with it and them too.

Its my own thoughts but I would never self import.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
If I buy from a dealer, it'll be them I buy from. Just torn between importing from japan and purchasing one already over here. πŸ€”

Ian πŸ‘
WRM & Colin Price down in Wales is also very good dealer. Really nice chap too he is to talk to on the phone albeit sadly at the time he did not have in stock what I wanted where as WRM did. TBH they are both IMHOP on the same level when it comes to selling Elgrands and knowledge of the marque too and both their asking prices are near enough the same too.

You certainly get what you pay for these days is all I will say. Perfect for us South of the country folk location wise where as oooppp north we also have other good and recommended dealers cropping up a lot now. Team cowie looks like they have a good selection on offer.

My motto has always been this, LOOK HARD, CHOOSE CAREFULLY and DONT BUY WHAT YOU FEEL IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOU.

Bargain hard and pay a fair price. There is always a deal to be done at the end of the day and the dealers need us and our money more than we need them.

Also, just out of curiosity, when looking at Elgrands, did any of you compare/look at/test drive the Toyota alphard? What made you go for the Elgrand over the alphard? Comfort, space, performance, handling, something like that? A comparison would make an interesting read.

Thank you πŸ‘

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I am not a motor dealer just bought a few too many elgrands, I plan to rent out elgrand campers once we convert them, the idea was to only buy three to convert and rent out. i have now bought 8 E51s in total sold one and have 6 here and one on the boat now just left Japan. if i can help members on the forum to buy from japan or if they like any i have then i would do a very good deal. at the moment all the ones i have will be converted if nobody wants them before hand.here is the ones i have at the min.

Here is number 1 converted ready to hire or sell
IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0730.JPG

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Also, just out of curiosity, when looking at Elgrands, did any of you compare/look at/test drive the Toyota alphard? What made you go for the Elgrand over the alphard? Comfort, space, performance, handling, something like that? A comparison would make an interesting read.

Thank you πŸ‘
Ive never liked the look of the Alphard to be honest. Too much like a Toyota Privea and the interior is no where near as good as the Elgrand.

Is the interior more versatile seat wise then? Or do you mean dashboard wise? Must admit I do like the look of the screen in dashboard. No idea what it does other than reversing camera tho πŸ˜‚

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Is the interior more versatile seat wise then? Or do you mean dashboard wise? Must admit I do like the look of the screen in dashboard. No idea what it does other than reversing camera tho πŸ˜‚
That is called the AV monitor ( audio visual ) and In Japan it does MANY things. Sadly over here in the UK only a few things are now functional on it albeit they are very useful.

Reversing camera is the main thing and then you can hook it up so it plays DVD's in conjunction with your head unit and roof drop down screen ( if fitted ) and then like mine and if you buy an AV monitor user handbook from japautospares for Β£20 it will explain how you can use the fuel trip computer and a few other interesting things besides.

I'll be needed in one of those then, thank you for the info πŸ‘ what's the vq35's general reliability like? I know about the cat decore which I'll get the dealer to do before I take delivery. I work in the motor trader, so know about various inherent weakness/design flaws on various vehicles, not seen much regarding Elgrands tho, so I'm hoping that's a good thing πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

Thanks again πŸ‘