Hi all

Hi all, been a member for a long time but situation changed previously and was unable to get a new car. Things have now settled, and with a new addition to the family here I now definitely need an Elgrand! πŸ˜‚

Looking to buy one in about 3 months time, hopefully sooner. Budget ideally about Β£7k could stretch to 8 if absolutely necessary. Want a face-lift E51 model with as lower mileage as possible. Not too fussed about spec really, as long as its a 3.5.

Been looking at dealers and possibly the option of importing myself, cannot honestly work out if I'd save much by importing? The exchange rates and additional costs involved is confusing me. If I'd only save a couple of hundred quid by importing I'll by from a dealer over here (any recommendations?)

If I'm going to save a couple of grand or more I'll import, if anyone has any recommendations to import with. In simple terms, how much would I save going this route compared to buying on already over here? Just a rough figure would do.

Thanks for reading πŸ‘

Ian

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Hi. In my opinion if you're looking at trusted UK dealers then with your budget you would save Β£2000 or more by importing from Japan, of course you would also not have a warranty, need to wait a long time and sort the UK registering yourself if you imported.

I think it's hard to compare like for like sometimes as some UK dealers are buying in low grade cars from Japan and cleaning them up and moving them on at a premium.

By the time I've put a warranty on it and registered it I'm looking at similar cost to buying over here do you think? Bit wary of some garages selling cars like that too, been stung before.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
By the time I've put a warranty on it and registered it I'm looking at similar cost to buying over here do you think? Bit wary of some garages selling cars like that too, been stung before.
I'm in the process of importing at the moment, I've tried to factor in every cost I can and I still think on the road I will be saving at least Β£2,000 on an identical car in the UK. I could save slightly more if I done the quick underseal most dealers give the car over the full 4 day job.

For me saving that Β£2,000 means I'm getting a higher grade car than I could afford if I bought in the UK.

I'd say you save Β£2,000 or more that's with the car on the road on the UK, so all taxes paid, registered, fog light, MOT etc

OK no worries, i'll probably import then. Which I've no idea how to do but will look at the guides on this forum πŸ˜‚

Since I'm not so bothered about the spec, I may need able to get a newer/lower mileage vehicle for the money. Even the lower spec models still come with air con and 1 electric door don't they? I would like the movable screen on the dashboard tho, not sure if that's standard across the board.

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
OK no worries, i'll probably import then. Which I've no idea how to do but will look at the guides on this forum πŸ˜‚

Since I'm not so bothered about the spec, I may need able to get a newer/lower mileage vehicle for the money. Even the lower spec models still come with air con and 1 electric door don't they? I would like the movable screen on the dashboard tho, not sure if that's standard across the board.

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian
Like I said I'm looking for a car at the auction myself, but I'm after something very specific is taking a long time. Some really nice highway stars have gone through for not much money these past few weeks.

If you register for free here https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_nissan_cars and look at the JP listings database you can see auctions for the past 3 months to give you an idea on prices they sold for, add about 80,000 yen to final auction price and add another Β£1,100 for shipping and that should give you a rough price of the car landed on UK soil.

Once on UK soil add import tax and vat (10% of CIF then 20% of that total) and about Β£175 in port fees, and registration with DVLA.

From there it's fog light (easy DIY for Β£20) mph conversion (GPS Speedo less than Β£20) and MOT. Probably sensible to factor in 4 tyres too, and of cours decore the cats asap. Then you have undersealing which could be anything from Β£50 DIY to Β£500 for a full 4 day professional job that would come with a guarantee for 5 years or more. Most sellers, even the trusted ones, only provide an underseal that needs doing every year.

Then road tax and number plates.

That should give you everything you have to spend to have it all road legal and protected from our gritted roads.

Sounds like a long list but I think if you found an example car from a past auction and worked it all out, you'd still be quids in over buying the same car already in the UK.

Last edited:

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Its swings and roundabouts but for me personally I would buy from a trusted and well known dealer for peace of mind.

But at the end of the day its your money and your choice so go with what you feel albeit you will have a considerable wait if you self import and if like you said you now need one then a dealer is the way ahead for instant access.

I bought mine from Worcester road Motors in Stour port on Severn and they have a superb stock in currently and all at differing prices to suit all budgets. Depends where you are though in the UK as its always nice to be able to buy close to where you live.

Just for gods sake DONT buy from the dodgy brigade,

I'm not too fussed about travelling to fetch it to be fair, I live in Nottinghamshire which is pretty berefit of any Elgrands πŸ˜‚ I've been looking at Worcester Road and read a lot of good reviews about them to be fair. Always thought their prices were a bit high compared to other dealers further up north tho. BUT I guess you get what you pay for. You'd recommend Worcester Road then? How do they sort out the speedo etc?

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian

Looking on Auto Trader at prices, other than the fact I like the look of the face lift front end better, is there any important difference between looking at an 04 plate with high miles and an 02 plate with low miles? Which would you go for if you had the choice?

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm not too fussed about travelling to fetch it to be fair, I live in Nottinghamshire which is pretty berefit of any Elgrands πŸ˜‚ I've been looking at Worcester Road and read a lot of good reviews about them to be fair. Always thought their prices were a bit high compared to other dealers further up north tho. BUT I guess you get what you pay for. You'd recommend Worcester Road then? How do they sort out the speedo etc?

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian
They fit a new MPH face matey. They do NOT fit those chip devices as they can fail and play havoc with the dash.

There are more new dealers cropping up all over now ( Honest ones too ) so bear them all in mind. I would also recommend Colin Price in Wales as he pretty much works in the same manner as WRM when it comes to preparation pre sale so much confidence there too.

Ive heard lots of good things about Team Cowie also and they too have some really nice examples on offer and all 3 of these dealers pretty much are on a par price wise.

I'm a Nottingham lad born and bred ( Arnold ) albeit I don't live there anymore. Army life took me away when I was 16 and ive never returned there to live albeit my family are all around Notts area now.

Good luck with your search and always remember there is always a good deal to be done with any dealer so haggle hard on the phone FIRST before travelling so you don't have a wasted trip if your interested in a particular example they have on offer.

Things to ask for as part of the sale

1. New UK battery
2 Fully undersealed
3. New UK tyres if Jap tyres are old and worn
4. Rear cats de-cored ( Absolute must )
5. Fully serviced including new set of spark plugs ( proof its all been done )
6. Fully valeted
7. Warrantee - How long and what it covers
8. New M.O.T to include fog light conversion
9. speedo face to MPH
10. Tank of fuel or at least half a tank as good will guesture
11. Stereo upgrade if offered ( Your cost though as you wont get this FREE )
12. HM FORCES discount or Veterans discount ( always works for me )
13. Disabled person's VAT exemption on price of vehicle as most vehicles are sold with this included in the screen price
14. New wiper blades as Jap ones will almost certainly be worn out
15. Both remotes present and working ok and with new batteries fitted
16. New discs and pads if below 5mm and scored discs
17. Ensure EVERYTHING works including the aircon front and rear in hot and cold modes. ( re-gas if needed )

If you can get all of that as part of a deal then go for it.

The only things you need to get done when you get it home is fit a new K&N panel airfilter and have the massive rear exhaust middle silencer removed and replaced for a smaller sportier type for better flow and running.

If you don't ask you don't get is my motto.

Last edited:

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Who are team Cowie and Colin price, if you don't mind me asking? A Google search just brought up indie racing πŸ˜‚

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian
Well teamcowie are on here ( Keith I think is his name ) based in Aberdeen I gather and Colin Price motors is in Wales and he advertises on ebay his Elgrand stock but his website is better and has great pictures. He currently has a superbly specced white 2002 Highway star 3500cc with a high top rider s roof spoiler fitted like mine.

It has to be said a good long drive home in one of these is always nice you know.

Just had another Google, your right, it does look nice. The only thing I'm not so sure on is the age. Just wanted one a bit newer, face-lift kinda thing. But then half of me thinks even of its an 02 it's a lot newer than our current family transport, an L reg Isuzu trooper 3.1 TD, jap import.

Just can't make my mind up. Import myself, newer car for the money, or save the hassle and buy from a dealer, older but looked after?

Choices choices πŸ˜‚

Thanks again

Ian

Has any body ever purchased a vehicle from jap car finder, or know someone that has? Just wondered, as they have a largish selection of Elgrands available for seemingly not much compared to other places...but then the others may be more expensive but come with very good recommendations.

Thanks again πŸ‘

Ian

Just answered my own question, a bit of research shows jap car finder are known clockers, and some people who purchased cars from them have been contacted by trading standards to make them aware. Not good.

Ian

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Like I said I'm looking for a car at the auction myself, but I'm after something very specific is taking a long time. Some really nice highway stars have gone through for not much money these past few weeks.

If you register for free here https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_nissan_cars and look at the JP listings database you can see auctions for the past 3 months to give you an idea on prices they sold for, add about 80,000 yen to final auction price and add another Β£1,100 for shipping and that should give you a rough price of the car landed on UK soil.

Once on UK soil add import tax and vat (10% of CIF then 20% of that total) and about Β£175 in port fees, and registration with DVLA.

From there it's fog light (easy DIY for Β£20) mph conversion (GPS Speedo less than Β£20) and MOT. Probably sensible to factor in 4 tyres too, and of cours decore the cats asap. Then you have undersealing which could be anything from Β£50 DIY to Β£500 for a full 4 day professional job that would come with a guarantee for 5 years or more. Most sellers, even the trusted ones, only provide an underseal that needs doing every year.

Then road tax and number plates.

That should give you everything you have to spend to have it all road legal and protected from our gritted roads.

Sounds like a long list but I think if you found an example car from a past auction and worked it all out, you'd still be quids in over buying the same car already in the UK.
Chris just so you know the right price the shipping to Newcastle for a elgrand costs me Β£950 at the min with custom and dock fees at Β£125

Keith