E51 Help with the main screens

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just wanted to see if anyone can tell me 1) How the original screens work (for videos) and 2) If my system is buggered.

Haven’t had the same luck as @James646 or @Winchester with the Cyclone Micro Media Box. I did manage to get a picture on the original screens from my camcorder (black & white as expected), so not sure where the problem is.

The screens on my E51 are:

IMAG4027.jpg

Basic Screen

IMAG4029.jpg

VTR Screen (for external video input I assume)

IMAG4033.jpg

TV Automatic

IMAG4034.jpg

TV Manual

These pictures are not just the result of dodgy picture taking, the screens actually look like this. I have tried Google translate on some of the Japanese writing but it just doesn't work. One thing I know is that the end box in the top row of each of the screens acts as a toggle between the screens and the "OFF" box returns it to the initial main screen. The reversing camera works fine (albeit that the little so and so switches itself on and off at critical moments). Connecting up the Cyclone Micro Media box to the rear phono plugs does nothing. It does not initiate any picture on the original screens even when the screens are manually switched into VTR mode.

I was hoping that someone might be able to give some explanation as to what might be going on, and just how the screens are supposed to work. :worried:

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi,
I am not an expert on this sort of thing, but will share what I have found while fiddling with the system, it may help! I think the white static is because it is showing the output from the standard analogue TV tuner, which obviously doesn't work!

I have one of those little battery dvd players with a screen. I plugged the output from this into the three connectors at the back and pressed the button for the back screen to come down and pressed the TV button. Both screens started showing the DVD but in black and white as the screens are NTSC. In the dvd player settings I changed the output from PAL to NTSC and sound and picture perfect on both screens, so pretty impressed! Realised neighbours were wondering why I was sitting in the back of my car, watching Frozen, on my own..!! I assume if you get your box thing to output in NTSC it should work!

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Although just noticed, I don't have planets on my Nissan screen, never seen that before! Have you got a series 3?

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm sure its one of the options on the VTR screen. Mine switches to video input automatically when there is a signal bit there other day I hit some buttons and had to re select it and I'm sure it was on the car screen

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I’m struggling to understand the question sorry.

Do you just want to know how to switch to see and hear the rear aux-in / phono / RCA sockets feed?

https://flic.kr/p/RzfVP5
Vid needs to be ntsc not pal.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Handbrake / moving from Park will kill video to front screen too, unless an override module is fitted.

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Handbrake / moving from Park will kill video to front screen too, unless an override module is fitted.
When I played with mine found out it doesn't kill the TV/video feed at all. Luckily I could get the Aircon screen to override the dvd player in the front for driving!!

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just wanted to see if anyone can tell me 1) How the original screens work (for videos) and 2) If my system is buggered.

Haven’t had the same luck as @James646 or @Winchester with the Cyclone Micro Media Box. I did manage to get a picture on the original screens from my camcorder (black & white as expected), so not sure where the problem is.

The screens on my E51 are:

View attachment 2483

Basic Screen

View attachment 2484

VTR Screen (for external video input I assume)

View attachment 2485

TV Automatic

View attachment 2486

TV Manual

These pictures are not just the result of dodgy picture taking, the screens actually look like this. I have tried Google translate on some of the Japanese writing but it just doesn't work. One thing I know is that the end box in the top row of each of the screens acts as a toggle between the screens and the "OFF" box returns it to the initial main screen. The reversing camera works fine (albeit that the little so and so switches itself on and off at critical moments). Connecting up the Cyclone Micro Media box to the rear phono plugs does nothing. It does not initiate any picture on the original screens even when the screens are manually switched into VTR mode.

I was hoping that someone might be able to give some explanation as to what might be going on, and just how the screens are supposed to work. :worried:
If the front screen doesn't automatically recognise the Cyclone box you might have to manually select AUX from the cars screen menu, If the cyclone menu then pops up as it should, but is still black and white & fuzzy, it will be because the output is set to PAL which wont work with the car screen. It's easy to change this from the cyclone settings menu.

Winchester

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Another thing to check, if you still don't see any output... is to check the connections behind the panel that has the 3 AV ports in, you have to be a bit brutal, but the panel will pull off, revealing the factory tuner behind. Someone may have been in there already and disconnected stuff.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Another thing to check, if you still don't see any output... is to check the connections behind the panel that has the 3 AV ports in, you have to be a bit brutal, but the panel will pull off, revealing the factory tuner behind. Someone may have been in there already and disconnected stuff.
This is true I had an after market tuner and DVD player that had been connected behind the side panel for neatness, leaving the plugs on show just for show.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks for all the replies. Firstly the car is a 2004 pre-Bose Series 2 (@Tim C ), and I was trying to get it to work in my garage with the parking brake firmly in place. The problem was just that I got nothing out of the cyclone box when connected to the rear phono ports. Having said that I have just tested the it on my TV and with a little bit of fiddling with the wires, it seems to work, so I think the problem might have been with the wiring from that. The boss (wife) has taken the car for a spin at the moment, so I will try later. Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Box works fine now. Its a bit difficult to get it to connect to the phone but finally succeeded. Perhaps its a bit like Bluetooth, in that it times out after a period of time, and if you don't connect quick enough you have to reset in order to connect. Now to see what a balls up I can make of changing the head unit....................................:)
PS Front screen cuts out when I release the parking brake (which is fine by me).

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Sent message to @Chris Riley about cyclone box. If you didn't get it Chris come back on this thread.
As for the Head installation. OMG! So much wire where is the head supposed to fit? IMAG4039.jpg

:worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

Chris Riley

E52 Owner
Ok. still no signal. wiggles the wires and pushed them right in. have ordered a new lead and ipad cable. At least this will isolate the problem to the car or something else.

Will report back findings in the next few days.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Re: Fitting new head. Have taken out old units and fitted ISO/DIN wiring harness. Managed to get new head into Series 2 double din fascia. Initially only had radio working (at least all the stations and really good quality sound). Tried CD but wouldn't go all the way in. I thought I had twisted the head unit but turned out I just didn't read the label that said that there were screws inserted for transportation that needed to be removed. So unfair that the manufacturers should assume that purchasers can read and have half a brain. CD's play great.

I have tried to connect the steering wheel control wires, but they don't seem to have any effect. I have however managed to loose that little aerial gizmo on the front that pops up to help in parking (no big deal because I will probably fit parking sensors in front).

I tried the wires suggested by @David rate but may well have got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time). See photo: IMAG4042.jpg
Am fairly confident that the wires Red/Blue, Orange/Black and White/Purple are correctly connected to the appropriate wires on the head unit.
Maybe a wire should be run from the Red/Blue wire direct to earth.

Can anyone confirm that the connector block I have used is the right one? Thanks.

David rate

Premium Member
Re: Fitting new head. Have taken out old units and fitted ISO/DIN wiring harness. Managed to get new head into Series 2 double din fascia. Initially only had radio working (at least all the stations and really good quality sound). Tried CD but wouldn't go all the way in. I thought I had twisted the head unit but turned out I just didn't read the label that said that there were screws inserted for transportation that needed to be removed. So unfair that the manufacturers should assume that purchasers can read and have half a brain. CD's play great.

I have tried to connect the steering wheel control wires, but they don't seem to have any effect. I have however managed to loose that little aerial gizmo on the front that pops up to help in parking (no big deal because I will probably fit parking sensors in front).

I tried the wires suggested by @David rate but may well have got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time). See photo: View attachment 2576
Am fairly confident that the wires Red/Blue, Orange/Black and White/Purple are correctly connected to the appropriate wires on the head unit.
Maybe a wire should be run from the Red/Blue wire direct to earth.

Can anyone confirm that the connector block I have used is the right one? Thanks.
Hi you will need to program steering wheel controls on you HU, go to settings and read the manual for your unit

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks David will try that. Guess I am basically one of those people who buys an IKEA flat pack and tries to put it together without reading the instructions. :pensive:

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thank you, thank you, thank you @David rate
The combination of cutting the right wires from the original loom, together with your advice about programming the steering wheel controls on the head unit, means that I now have the steering wheel controls up and running. Changing volume on a 2din touch screen head is a real pig and dangerous. If you were a woman I'd kiss you. :kissing_heart::kissing_heart: