E51 Help with 4wd. Sorted. Happy days

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi all,

In the morning i start car and everything is fine apart 4wd light on. When i select 2wd 4wd or lock it beeps but there is no indication of selection on speedo. I press 2wd and leave it, but now after start and drive 50-100 yards something loudly clanks and after few seconds disappears. No whining sound or any other sound or clunks after that. Everything just normal. It did happened few times now in a row. Sometimes is clanks sometimes is sound like drive shaft is loose and grinds somewhere. Looked under the car and everything seems in place and no visible leaks.
Today i have scanned with nissan consult scanner and came up with this:
C1118 4wd system
C1143 st ang sen circuit ( i guess is steering angle sensor)
P1615 difference of key

Can it be worst case: transfer box/ transfer case? Is it possible to somehow to open and check.
What your thoughts?

Thanks

Phill1

E51 Owner
Just came up with this link but it is for an Infiniti ....re the P1615 difference of key code...... http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p1615_infiniti.html

That page didn't come up with anything for the other two faults though. .....someone else on the Forum might be able to help you with those.

Another site said ...C1143 Nissan - Steering Angle Sensor Circuit this sensor is located behind the steering wheel the code C1143 is detected when the Neutral position of steering angle sensor is dislocated, or steering angle sensor is malfunctioning.
The sensor detects the rotation amount, angular velocity and direction of the steering wheel.

The site said Nissan it didn't state what model Nissan

Last edited by a moderator:

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Quite strange this is. No fault until i have replaced dead battery and since then 4wd light is always on. C1118 code means that somewhere is bad connection( earthing). I have instaled earthing kit in engine bay, so it cant be.
But this clunking noise is making me mad.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
My RAV4 started making grating noises. No fault codes. Thankfully (well you know what I mean) it's a common fault as water gets into trans ECU & it tries to select two ratios at the same time. Refurbished ECUs are £250 and so long as gearbox hasn't destroyed itself it's an easy fix.
Thankfully a quick Google pointed my the the right direction as both the dealer we had just bought car from & his transmission expert thought it uneconomic to repair the transmission... 25k miles later it's still going strong B)

Unfortunately I can't see any common faults comming up on my searches other than failed trans ECU or broken differentials, transfer boxes (which might explain the clunk) or stripped spines on drive shafts (that shudder).

I'll have another search tomorrow if I get time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris17859

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I don't have the AWD version so I might be off track here, I used to work for Borg Warner in the 4 wheel drive system amongst others, most of the selectable 4 wheel drive boxes had simpleish systems ie a sensor when in 4 wheel drive a sensor when not in 4 wheel drive a speed sensor so you couldn't shift at high speed (which was the main function of the ECU really and to tell you what you are in ) and a motor to drive the selector hub, the lights on the dash are not lighting up as the ECU does not know where the selector hub is, when you start up the motor is probably trying to drive to 2 wheel drive the ECU doesn't see the position and faults out, the clunk could be this hub kicking out, one of the big problems we used to have was the power chip that drove the motor in the ECU failing, you could check the voltage at the motor if Nissan use a similar system.

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thank you all for replies.
Can anyone point me where is 4wd ecu module location, please.

This morning on the way to work no strange noise everything normal after yesterdays reset, but 4wdlight still on. Ill do more investigation.

Thanks

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Thank you all for replies.
Can anyone point me where is 4wd ecu module location, please.
Is it an e51? (Profile pic is 52 hence I ask)

This morning on the way to work no strange noise everything normal after yesterdays reset, but 4wdlight still on. Ill do more investigation.

Thanks
That's good for now ;)

Barney59

E51 Owner
Re Steering sensor: Not Nissan but on my VR4 the Anti Yaw Control uses input from the steering wheel was a "Hall-effect sensor" and 2 x G sensors near the CofG to determine if any detected differential front wheel rotation is related to wheelslip or just the radius of turning circle. If it thought it was wheelslip then it would apply brakes on the spinning wheel. The effect was such that many a "garage expert" thought it was an auto-box fault.
This presented when tight turning around mini-roundabouts and put the ____ up me

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Re Steering sensor: Not Nissan but on my VR4 the Anti Yaw Control uses input from the steering wheel was a "Hall-effect sensor" and 2 x G sensors near the CofG to determine if any detected differential front wheel rotation is related to wheelslip or just the radius of turning circle. If it thought it was wheelslip then it would apply brakes on the spinning wheel. The effect was such that many a "garage expert" thought it was an auto-box fault.
This presented when tight turning around mini-roundabouts and put the ____ up me

This explain a lot.

On the way home from work again not pleasant mechanical pain sound. Then I left car and went to college with my wife's car. When came back pop in and wet to garage for fuel. And again it happened but it sounded similar as chain slipping from sprockets. So painful. Got home and scanned again. To my surprise no fault codes. So I started car and started pressing 2wd auto and lock buttons. After 10-15 presses abs vdc slip lights came up. So I scanned again and C1118 4wd code came up. So checked for part nr and came up with 47850wl010. This number refer to abs vdc scid unit ?!?!?!?
I have checked steering angle sensor and it works perfect. When I was turning steering wheel I could see that steering angle degree was changing -/0/+.
This awful mechanical sound happen when going in the straight line after few turns and only happen once (painful mechanical sound). This sound never appears again when I restart car with worm engine and gearbox and I have start driving.
Thanks

Barney59

E51 Owner
Sound is possibly the sound of you trying to drive against an automatically applied full braking on one wheel. When it happened to me I thought something had dropped off and was digging into the tarmac.

But might not be - I haven't got to grips with this side of things yet. You need to consult somebody like @BMR with experience of these wagons.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Yep. I'd not want to drive it for fear of doing more damage until I knew what was wrong. Expert advice is needed.

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Got home and lifted front of the car up to check is front wheels propshaft is locked or not. So shaft spins with front wheel freely and separete from rear. I thought this is good. Started to move passanger side wheel and it started to wobble, driver side is smooth. So bearing has gone and when i spun wheel i coild hear bearing making that mechanical cracking sound.
Txtd BMR and waiting for his response.
Next bearing replacement and 4wd fault finding.

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Latest 4wd update
Happy days

I have replaced front bearing. Not the easiest job.
Now everything sorted. When i took car to be converted to lpg in Newport i was talking to guy and he mentioned that they have good autoelectricman
I asked him to look at my 4wd. And he sorted everything.
When i picked car up no more orange 4wd light and now i can switch between auto and lock and back to 2wd. He had to synchronise something and best part is it cost me big £20.
Realy chufffffed. I have thought ill need to fork lots of cash and maybe 4wd ecu.
And now 2week later still going good.

Thanks everyone