Hello

Martyn

E51 Owner
Been lurking on here since buying our first 2003 E51 VG L in June, sadly it "fell over" so we now have an 03 Highway Star to replace. Found lots of useful info so thanks to everyone's threads I've mined for useful data, will start contributing my own findings

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Welcome to the club! :D
Good choice (mine is an s1 HWS too) 😁

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
OK, I'll be the one to ask what we're all thinking... What do you mean by "it fell over"?

Welcome to the club, and waiting with anticipation for the story 😂

Martyn

E51 Owner
OK, I'll be the one to ask what we're all thinking... What do you mean by "it fell over"?

Welcome to the club, and waiting with anticipation for the story 😂
Thanks. So, one cold Tuesday lunchtime back in November my mobile gets an unknown caller who starts with "Hello Martyn, now don't worry but I've got your wife with me.....".
Turns she was just exiting an uphill corner when it started to go sideways on film of water from a damaged water main. Unfortunately she then reached the subsided bit of tarmac that the main was under, started to correct but over corrected which took her up the grass verge and into/along a dry stone wall which bounced her back into the road putting the van on its side. The only straight panel left was the tailgate which was a shame as it was mint before, more importantly she and the dog were completely uninjured. Was worried I'd missed a duff tyre or suspension issue, her previous car was impreza and she rode a 1200 Suzuki for years she knows what shes doing, but the wall owner said there had been other similar accidents there before. Insurance payout was more than we paid so that helped.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Thanks. So, one cold Tuesday lunchtime back in November my mobile gets an unknown caller who starts with "Hello Martyn, now don't worry but I've got your wife with me.....".
Turns she was just exiting an uphill corner when it started to go sideways on film of water from a damaged water main. Unfortunately she then reached the subsided bit of tarmac that the main was under, started to correct but over corrected which took her up the grass verge and into/along a dry stone wall which bounced her back into the road putting the van on its side. The only straight panel left was the tailgate which was a shame as it was mint before, more importantly she and the dog were completely uninjured. Was worried I'd missed a duff tyre or suspension issue, her previous car was impreza and she rode a 1200 Suzuki for years she knows what shes doing, but the wall owner said there had been other similar accidents there before. Insurance payout was more than we paid so that helped.
Yep, exactly the kind of situation that I sort out VDC for. No amount of skill can save a car (especially a van) as well as these systems can. So glad wife and dog were ok. Vans can be replaced and it seems you did ok there too! 😁