E50 Fuel filter

kippaxblue

I am wanting ok needing to replace the fuel filter on my 3.2 diesel. Is this an easy job? Do I need any special tools? Any help or directions to a how to very much appreiated. Have trie searching forum with no joy.
Many thanks in advance

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Easy job, but messy & smelly (unless you like the smell of creosote :mask: ). You'll have to undo the water sensor bit on the bottom of the filter, and if the filter doesn't have any mouldings for stilsons or pump pliers you might need to use an oil filter wrench to undo it. Afterwards you'll have to prime it with the rubber part on top to draw thru new fuel, although the engine might still splutter a bit due to any air drawn through the fuel line.

kippaxblue

Thanks very much for the swift reply hopefully weather permiting and filter arriving I will get to it tomorrow. I take it the filter is screw on. How does the water trap attach to it though?

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I remember going to do mine, and it wouldn't fucking budge, no matter what I tried I could not get the damn thing off. I ended up taking it to a garage and getting them to do it. I assume mine was a one off though because most people who I know that have attempted it themselves have not had the same problem that I've had.

@Steve~Mk1 has already covered the how to... it's a fairly simple procedure.

The only thing he didn't mention is that the fuel filter primer is located in the drivers side footwell. Push the seat back, lift up the mat (if you have one) and you should see the cover. Remove that to access the primer.

kippaxblue

Thank you very much for the replies just got to get a spanner big enough to remove the water trap. What is the wird on bottom of trap for? If this doesnt cure the none starting where is fuel pump located please

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Thank you very much for the replies just got to get a spanner big enough to remove the water trap. What is the wird on bottom of trap for? If this doesnt cure the none starting where is fuel pump located please
I think the sensor is to monitor the water in the filter, you can use water pump pliers to undo the plastic nut. There isn’t a pump in the tank. Only pump is the main diesel pump on the engine.

kippaxblue

Take it you're having a problem with your bus not starting then?
I was but changed fuel filter and was then getting diesel to injectors but still no joy. Found out the heater plugs are not getting power so checked relay and evefy fuse but still no joy. But if i take power direct from battery it works so now going to either wire in a new switch or find what is broke . The joys of motoring lol