• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Dish it. Who said that??? Must have loads of money. Lucky person.

It was a member known as TravellingMan. Can't remember if he was removed from the club or if he left of his own accord. But he liked to grind people the wrong way and caused tension that wasn't needed.

It was a member known as TravellingMan. Can't remember if he was removed from the club or if he left of his own accord. But he liked to grind people the wrong way and caused tension that wasn't needed.
Oh, one of those eh. :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Yeah, I'm the only one around here that's allowed to rub people up the wrong way (ooh err) :joy:

I thought he wasn't on here any longer - shame that because I enjoyed reading his travelling threads.

Never mind it's one less E50 owner on here now :laughing:;)

@Karl, At the time I thought this thread had been deleted because it didn't seem to appear in 'recent subjects' lists etc, yet I later found it was still possible to get on the thread by clicking on it in search results. Has this thread re-appeared due to the site update? Or I wonder if the person who resurrected the thread found it in search results, or if I was wrong about the thread being deleted (or at least about it not appearing in recent subjects lists)?

@Karl, At the time I thought this thread had been deleted because it didn't seem to appear in 'recent subjects' lists etc, yet I later found it was still possible to get on the thread by clicking on it in search results. Has this thread re-appeared due to the site update? Or I wonder if the person who resurrected the thread found it in search results, or if I was wrong about the thread being deleted (or at least about it not appearing in recent subjects lists)?

Chances are that the thread was just not commented on for a while and fell off the radar. There are loads of threads that have suffered that fate, but yes, as a result of a search, it could be found again.

If I'm right it didn't appear in my 'your content' list even though?

Seeing as this old thread has been resurrected...

That must be one of the best ads for LPG conversion ever - Most people are interested in how much fuel they use and how much they pay for it.

I (a newbie) am certainly interested in saving money on fuel while at the same time driving a vehicle that suits all of our other needs. It was very interesting feeling some of that hostility that came from a Traveller - not sure that it was at all necessary though?

Here in Australia it wouldn't be economically feasible to do an LPG conversion based on the conversion costs and LPG prices, but I DO have one pre-converted unit in my sights - otherwise, I might go with the 3.2 Litre Diesel E50.

I'd welcome any thoughts guys?

Steve

I (a newbie) am certainly interested in saving money on fuel while at the same time driving a vehicle that suits all of our other needs. It was very interesting feeling some of that hostility that came from a Traveller - not sure that it was at all necessary though?

Here in Australia it wouldn't be economically feasible to do an LPG conversion based on the conversion costs and LPG prices, but I DO have one pre-converted unit in my sights - otherwise, I might go with the 3.2 Litre Diesel E50.

Steve
LPG is definitely something a to look at. If you think about it, over the long term you effectively half what you spend on fuel, you'll soon earn your money back for the conversion. Example, here in the UK at the filling station I use, LPG is 60p per liter. Petrol is £1.19 per liter. That's (pretty much) exactly half the cost. £30 of LPG will get me 150 miles, £30 of petrol I'd be very lucky to see 130 miles.

Quick mathsssss: Average cost of LPG conversion costs £1,500. Average fill up price will be halved from then on (apart from the petrol burnt as the tank builds up pressure before switching to LPG). Say you do 15,000 miles a year, divided by 150 miles that's 100 fill ups. 100*£30 (for the tank I have, others are larger) = £3,000. If you were to do 15,000 miles on petrol say for example £30 of petrol goes 100 miles -at least by my fuel guage, 190 miles cost me £50- you'd have 150 fill ups at £4,500. There you go, in year 1 an LPG conversion has already paid for itself.... But then again, other's economy on petrol might be better than mine. I think mine's like 18MPG, heavy right foot syndrome.

Steve
Isnt fuel dirt cheap in OZ hence no need for a conversion??

It was very interesting feeling some of that hostility that came from a Traveller - not sure that it was at all necessary though?

Agreed, the hostility was unwarranted. But he has now been banned from the club.

First proper long distance trip from South London to Cornwall today on petrol. Got 23 mpg which I was really pleased with. Didn't hold back on the speed - 70 to 80 much of the way. Will be returning next week and will run on LPG to see what the difference is.

Isnt fuel dirt cheap in OZ hence no need for a conversion??
Hmm - I wish.

Unfortunately, petrol is quite expensive - as is LPG and the cost to do an LPG conversion - (about $5,000 for the convert). We used to get a subsidy on the conversions, but no longer. LPG is around 67.9 cents per Litre.

Petrol in my regional area is $1.39 per Litre. The current exchange rate for the $AUD is 0.564 GBP.

It's OK though, as mentioned I wouldn't pay for a conversion, (I don't have the $$ anyway) instead, I'd look for a vehicle that's already done - or go with diesel.

There's a great example here: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Elgrand-2004/SSE-AD-5161433/?Cr=0

Hi
I was just wondering if the is a fuel comparison for the E51 3.5 4x4 . I'm probably getting around 20 mpg on the open road. Although in Zambia we do not have multi lane highways so we do alot of pedaling to overtake. My E51 2x4 and three years older gets better milage than my 2006 4x4

@Zamboy - Sorry off topic but wow... An E51 in Zambia. Happy and quite excited. Was in Zambia 6 months ago. Spent 3 weeks there and was actually wondering if there were any Elgrands there. Saw a lot more Range Rovers. Was in Zimbabwe just before and did see a pretty E50 in pearl white... and a canary yellow hummer H2. Glad though that Elgrands are global! :)

From my experience petrol economy in Southern Africa (at least Zed and Zim) is a lot better than in the UK. Example: It cost Zmw 600 (app £45/£50) to fill a 70ltr tank in a 4x4 where as it cost me £75 (Shell V-Powerr 99%) to fill my E51 which last time only gave me 220 miles appx. Zamboy, I wouldnt worry about price and enjoy the Elgrand

Last edited:
First proper long distance trip from South London to Cornwall today on petrol. Got 23 mpg which I was really pleased with. Didn't hold back on the speed - 70 to 80 much of the way. Will be returning next week and will run on LPG to see what the difference is.
Just try 65 mph matey and you will much better

If I'm on a real long trip I'll stick to 60. Seems to make gas last a bit longer.

Back