freshandminty 2004 E51 (phase 2) Rider S

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Damn you for tagging me, this is already easily my favourite elgrand in the whole world, I've honestly read the project thread twice through and that's before I knew it was possibly for sale.
It was imported by a dealer in Cardiff so it would be returning to it's spiritual home. :D

I've realised that the MOT is due in February so I'll be putting two new front tyres on it and getting a fresh MOT ready for sale.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Since the one tyre suddenly went flat during the snow and refused to re-inflate - not sure if the vehicle weight broke it’s bead - and I’d been meaning to replace the front tyres any way and they now have Goodyear eagle F1s to match the rear so I’ve now fitted them.

They’re an upsize from 235/40 to 235/45 but they’re closer to the original overall diameter and fill the arches nicely...

A furniture collection too large for the Alto gave it a proper run-out...

I’ve vowed to give it a weekly run-out now just to keep it active and ideally I’d like to sort out a towing setup to take the Elgrand and the Acty to shows in 2018 but that might have to wait until next year providing I still have both by then and alternate the driving of both to different shows this year where relevant.

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I hope you are planning on returning to JAE this year.

I don't care which car you come in to be honest, just want my Rockaoke partner :joy:

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
I hope you are planning on returning to JAE this year.

I don't care which car you come in to be honest, just want my Rockaoke partner :joy:
I'm hoping to - need to work out the logistics as I'm away until the Friday it starts but might work out well to get back on the Friday and then head down to JAE, not booked with you yet as I'm more likely to be in the acty to be honest unless i can bring both.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Are you planning to keep e51 now? I cannot believe it but I’m seriously considering selling mine now and I NEVER thought I would do that.

But we want one vehicle as a daily dog van and weekend camper and the e50 extended version looks perfect to replace the e51 and Chevy campervan.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Are you planning to keep e51 now? I cannot believe it but I’m seriously considering selling mine now and I NEVER thought I would do that.

But we want one vehicle as a daily dog van and weekend camper and the e50 extended version looks perfect to replace the e51 and Chevy campervan.
I don’t think I knew there was an extended e50! Is it a long wheel base version based on one of the Nissan van platforms?

When I realised the MOT and service was due in February I decided to keep it at least until they were done and consider options from there.

I’ve budgeted to spend the extra on petrol later in the year so I can start driving it daily again and sell the alto rather than leaving it sitting around.

So if someone wanted it I’d sell it but it’s the wrong time for me to actively advertise it right now. :)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I don’t think I knew there was an extended e50! Is it a long wheel base version based on one of the Nissan van platforms?

When I realised the MOT and service was due in February I decided to keep it at least until they were done and consider options from there.

I’ve budgeted to spend the extra on petrol later in the year so I can start driving it daily again and sell the alto rather than leaving it sitting around.

So if someone wanted it I’d sell it but it’s the wrong time for me to actively advertise it right now. :)
I’ve started a thread about the long e50 here http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/e50-nissan-elgrand-field-base-on-ambulance-chassis.6661/

It will be nice to see your e51 adventures continue for at least another summer season 😁

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Did you ever need to roll your rear arches minty?
Mine were prised out rather than the inner lip rolled up because my body shop guy doesn’t have an arch roller.

It’s difficult to tell how much by, probably less than if they’d been rolled.

They were done before I’d even fitted the smoothies so not sure if needed to be done or not.

I don’t think that’s really helped I’m afraid!

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Mine were prised out rather than the inner lip rolled up because my body shop guy doesn’t have an arch roller.

It’s difficult to tell how much by, probably less than if they’d been rolled.

They were done before I’d even fitted the smoothies so not sure if needed to be done or not.

I don’t think that’s really helped I’m afraid!
Nah it helps. If it had been pulled out too much I think the panel gap by the door would be off, as I gave it a little flex before and noticed this.

If yours haven't been rolled then this helps as by my calculations my new ones have 1.4mm more poke than yours, so there is some space to be found under there if things start to touch. If I run the same size tyre as you have currently I should be OK :neutral:

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Nah it helps. If it had been pulled out too much I think the panel gap by the door would be off, as I gave it a little flex before and noticed this.

If yours haven't been rolled then this helps as by my calculations my new ones have 1.4mm more poke than yours, so there is some space to be found under there if things start to touch. If I run the same size tyre as you have currently I should be OK :neutral:
You should be alright with that - iirc I can fit my fingers between arch and tyre. As in my flat hand.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
We shall see when they arrive
I checked this morning - about 10mm gap between top of rear tyre and inner arch lip.

Should be fine depending on how enthusiastic you are over bumps / hump back bridges. I can't remember if there's stiffness control on the rear shocks but if there is the setting would make a difference to the bouncability too.