freshandminty 2004 E51 (phase 2) Rider S

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
A day of "bits" today.

No before photo until I look through early ownership photos to see if I have one but these used to be beige until I got the truck bed spray on them...

I trimmed these a couple of years ago but the vinyl was coming loose so I removed the vinyl and glue remains before a wipe down with paint wipes and a couple of coats of truck bed paint...

I'll be hitting the rest of the upper cream panels with the same paint, probably over winter time.

Whilst paint was drying I trimmed recesses in these dashboard end trim panels for the speaker cables to fit in. (The panels have been off since I took everything apart at the start of the year)

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Let's make space for a second battery...

Before ...

Intake freed ...

Airbox mount bolts removed (10mm socket)

Anti-drone pod removed from hose to give access to other hose clip bolt...

Four bolts removed that hold air box onto pipe via square flange - one bolt per corner...

Tucked out of the way...

Rotate air box round and remove S pipe by pushing clip beyond the small rectangle hole in the air box...

After various rotations and pulls and twists and turns we have space...

And another part on the floor...

Air flow sensor removed with t20 security bit (torx bit with hole in centre) and put inside for safety...

Dremel cutting wheel leaving enough lip for hose to go on (I decided to leave the pipe with the air flow sensor mount and beyond that all in tact rather than replacing the whole pipe and having to create a new mount for the air flow sensor) ...

Checking the ID is right - 76mm - all good.

Each side of bend cut down as short as possible with a Stanley knife...

Test fit of filter...

Air intake funnel cut back with dremel cutting disc...

Everything refitted...

Next plan is to cut the funnel back further so there's enough space to bond this to it and the round section will go directly into the filter housing...

Space made for battery...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Although I've run out of funds this month because....

I've bought another daily.

2004 Suzuki Alto GL 1.1 litres 50MPG £30 road tax of lovely cheap and cheerful money saving goodness.

This will cost me £40 a month in insurance and £160 4 weekly in petrol (possibly less) compared to £320 4 weekly in petrol in the Elgrand. So I'm actually saving £120 4 weekly as a result of buying this.

That's an extra £120 to spend on the Elgrand or acty and more importantly massive reduction on stone chips / servicing costs / other wear and tear on the Elgrand, and also it means any work on the Elgrand isn't restricted to being back for commuter journeys Monday to Friday.

Only problem with the alto is that the badges and dealer stickers fell off!!

Oh and the suspension might make it go a bit lower and the wheels might turn white perhaps at some point but it's definitely not a project and is surely a stay-standard daily.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Having turned the gain up to the correct level on the bass sub and giving it a bit more I found that air was escaping out the front edge where I'd used metal brackets, made sense as soon as I realised why so I chiselled a channel out for the bracket to sit in so the sub would sit flat against the box edge...

An extra pair of threaded inserts also added...

The hand glass holder is in place too - I fitted this with a pair of those blind brackets you use to fit headboards and such like with...

I also wired a pair of hidden subtle aqua led strips up to the amp remote connections so they're on with the amps, so subtle I think you'll only be able too see them in pitch black so maybe need to buy another pair. To my surprise they also seem to pulse when it detects volume. Cheesetastic!

I stroked the fur in one direction, I think it looks neater...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Spent a while reading through your thread with a beer tonight, amazing stuff! Even the Mrs was impressed! :)
I thought I was doing well when I changed my number plate bulbs to LED's all by myself! :eek:
Thank you. :)

It does always surprise me when people find it interesting enough to read the whole thing from start to end so glad it was worthwhile.

It always starts somewhere so an led bulb now could lead to who knows what in 18 years time (how long I’ve been modifying for)

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Holy moly that's a good price, and although I'm not a fan of every mod thats on it, if I were looking for another I'd have it it a heartbeat
Cheers, maybe I should up the price. :D

It’s worth a lot more if you take into account modifications but i always tend to write off that cost when I move on to something else and just make sure I can afford it’s potential replacement.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
what a shame you're selling Phil. Are you sure?

Someone is going to get a cracking looking motor mate :)
I’m not sure at all and likely to change my mind at a moment’s notice until I have cash in my hand and it’s left the drive but let’s just see how it goes.

I’m not actively advertising it anywhere yet, it’s not really worth it so close to Christmas but if anyone reads this and knows anyone looking for one send them my way. :)

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I’m not sure at all and likely to change my mind at a moment’s notice until I have cash in my hand and it’s left the drive but let’s just see how it goes.

I’m not actively advertising it anywhere yet, it’s not really worth it so close to Christmas but if anyone reads this and knows anyone looking for one send them my way. :)
I know @Chris T is looking for one but not till after Christmas, be a beauty to own maybe a good one for you Chris!!!