freshandminty 2004 E51 (phase 2) Rider S

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
A batch of photos I took of my bus on the evening before the main public show day...

I had left the flash on in this photo and you can see that the reflectors still show through the lamin-x film...

The BMW won best engine bay, think you can see why...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
I spent a bit of time cutting up a spare seat cover today to use as the sub enclosure top / armrest pad.

First rough cut...

Finished cutting...

I now need to get some edge binding strip - hopefully heat activated iron-on edging for dummies so I can avoid stitching completely.

I've also cut the foam I had on the top previously to a smaller size to use as an insert within the new piece before it's sealed up.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Ring terminals crimped onto the amp to sub cable with heat shrink applied ...

I'm connecting the sub cable pairs to the lead from from the amp by means of ring terminals onto an M4 machine screw fitted into threaded inserts in the inside of the sub enclosure.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Battery lead added which will connect up to the fuse holder that is bolted directly onto the positive battery post clamp as standard...

An evening session booked in tomorrow so hoping for more progress worth writing home about.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Working on the amp cover this evening.

Hole drilled into the board pre-cut by MDF ready for circle jig pivot bolt...

Arc cut...

Test around sub...

Arc cut in other end and test fit again...

Side pieces and end cut...

Another test...

Seat still rotates...

1" gap for breathing between top of amp and bottom of board...

Flipped other rear seat up to test clearance and took another photo...

Cut a breathing hole over the logo of the BASS1 amp - slipped a bit but will hide that later with a trim ring...

Another test, no logo under the breathing hole on the cvench6 amp but I'll put a vibe sticker there....

Got the rounding bit out...

And fubared the back end of the cover because the guide bearing is below the depth of the piece...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
So I cut the end off with the jigsaw and glued side pieces on, with the plan to round the corners once there were deeper pieces to guide against...

But then I realised that there weren't side pieces all the way around so decided just to sand the edges slightly with the palm sander but I had to use nails to keep it together while i worked on it as the glue wasn't going to set in time...

Then it was time for a coat of MDF primer...

I think I'm going to need to build some stronger supports into this because I've had to use 12mm due to space restrictions but it's turning out ok.

I might have to use carpet or the fur fabric I have on the roof to hide the nails but if I have enough vinyl left from the sub and door cards I'll give that a try first.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
The two holes in the top edge were too close to the edge for my liking so I bolted on two braces and fixed them to the box with M5 threaded inserts onto the MDF...

Sub speaker cables fixed together using M4 bolts into threaded inserts on the inside wall of the enclosure ...

Bolted in...

Armrest pad in place, I need to put the edging strip on to the curve along the sub and then apply some Velcro to keep it in place...

Oh and no photo but the sub is connected up too - I need to tweak with settings to get the most out of everything but I'll warm up to that point.

So things left to do now for this week are ...

cut the spare rug up to use as passenger floor carpet

Add angle brackets onto amp cover to strengthen structure and trim in long pile fur fabric (when it arrives)

Then in a few weeks time I need to get back on it and build floor enclosures for the 10w speakers as until they're fitted in l'm missing some lower frequencies and the 6m are covering down to 140Hz rather than 225Hz as I plan to in the long term.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Set up in the utility...Drill, vacuum, bolt, repeat....

Countersunk bolts pulling flush into the board so will be hidden once trimmed...

I was in the utility because outside was a right mixed bag of storm clouds with MDF threatening showers and sunshine...

Done...

Brackets for the boot floor at the opposite end to the sub...

Flat brace used as a hole guide to drill holes to mount the amp cover to the sub lip...

Holes...

And in the bus...

Holes drilled through into lip in sub enclosure...

8mm holes drilled through...

.... and M5 threaded inserts fitted into sub enclosure...

Amp cover back in place with bolts fixed in to check it all lines up ok...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Arty shots...

Then onto the armrest pad again, with the curved edge to do.

Before...

After...

It still feels like it's going too well compared to my usual projects

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Another snag ticked off, because I had to remove the oem arm rests to fit the sub enclosure in there were bare holes and original seat fabric left on show. I cut two egg shaped pieces out of the vinyl I trimmed the enclosure and door cards in and tucked them underneath the seat covers....

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
A couple of spare grills from my friends at vibe audio to use as trim rings for the air vents on the amp cover. Mesh in place for day to day life and removed for shows...

Black air is a different speaker range and I was going to clean it off but seeing as they're air vents I decided to leave it.

Holes

Threaded inserts

Mesh in

Mesh out

Fur is here

Stapled on the inside

Flipped over

Little monster screaming

Bolted in (I prefer the look of the unfurry edge within the ring but don't have time to paint it black at the moment)

Done

Moody shots in bus (i.e. It got dark and rainy while I was doing it)

This is a very dark shot but there's something about how just a few details are highlighted from the shadows that I like...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
One last bit of prep for FittedUK show was to change my number plate from using Velcro coins to fix to the tailgate glass, which kept catching my clothes when washing and didn't look the prettiest when the plate was removed at shows...

I saw about a new product by a company called killaplates which is a re-useable sticky backing - they actually make plates too but decided to get the backing to apply to my existing plate.

So now when I'm at a show I just peel the plate off and stick it onto a piece of reusable backing plastic until I'm ready to go home and there's no traces of the plate during the show. (No photos as they're in my camera)

Also on Saturday I picked up a parcel of goodies which is an impressive competition bundle from an Instagram caption competition a few weeks ago...

I used the radiance polish, applied with the foam pad and buffed off with the ultra plush towel at the show and i was very impressed with the shine and how easy it was to apply and buff off without any effort at all!

A couple of photos of my bus that I took with my phone (rest are on my camera) at the show...

Accessorised with champagne, cooler, glasses, and Poundland lanterns...

From the times that I was actually with my bus it seemed to be getting lots of good reactions of both the inside and out.

On the letter received with the tickets etc it said that winners would get a sticker put on their windscreen...

I got excited but turned out that it was a shortlist sticker and not a winner sticker - I guess they go back round the shortlists and whittle down to the winners. Ah well at least it was shortlisted.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
I managed to kill one of the 6Ms - either from playing it with the wrong amp settings, giving it too much too soon, or another reason.

Any way as no 6Ms were in stock and 8Ms were I've swapped the 6M pairs from the doors for 8Ms and also swapped the 10ws for 8Ms because it will be easier to fit them in the floor.

Quick play around with floor locations ..

And a sketch...

Then onto the driver side as that was the one making the noise, checking it will fit on existing pods...

Door card removed and speaker nuts off...

Pushed out...

Foam tape over the pod to prevent damage from the jigsaw and a quick whizz around...

Bolted in and fly lead connected...

And she's back in the car...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Some bitty work over the last couple of days.

With a combination of extensions and big piece of wood to wedge the wrench in place I fitted the two additional bolts that hold the sub enclosure in place by wedging the wrench in place under the bus whilst I tightened the bolt from inside the bus.

Up to now it was just the two bolts into the captive nuts holding it in place but the holes from the middle seat rail had been left open so I wanted to resolve this ASAP.

Passenger side (bolt without nut is through the captive nut)

Driver side (had to drill new hole as the hole i had drilled in the adaptor plate was slightly off...

To finish off tightening the bolts the wedged this in place whilst tightening from below...

I then vacuumed the inside of the box and painted it in MDF primer to protect it more, I dare say I'll give it a coat of waterproof varnish at some point too.

I also fitted the 8M in the passenger door pod, no in progress photos as it was same process as driver's side.

After the last few shows i decided i needed to improve my cleaning kit as in I had everything in a big suitcase and couldn't find anything when I was polishing up at shows.

In the boot area there's a little storage area (unless you have the Bose upgrade in which case it's a sub) up until now this has been full of spare fuses and left over bolts so i emptied out the rubbish and anything worth keeping went into the Tupperware box in my tool bag...

Add a £1.50 storage caddy from wilko (if actually bought it not realising it would fit in the cubby) ...

And it just squeezes nicely into the cubby with a water spray bottle fitting behind...

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
I was just gathering some photos together to email to someone and I realised that I didn't post the photos that were trapped in my camera after I'd posted the updates last week so here they are...

I'm so proud that the sub enclosure started out as a pile of MDF!

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
I'm having mainly calm after the storm time this week but still doing bits of fine-tuning, yesterday I popped off the driver side rear door step and trimmed the long pile rug so that it now tucks under the plastic step, along the bottom edge of this photo showing white due to some rare August sun over exposure ...