E51 Fog Light?

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just seen a thread talking specifically about fog lights. There always seems to be something new (to me anyway) with these cars.
I know a bit about:
1) The need to underseal them
2) The need to de-cat them
3) Do something about the radio so it picks up UK stations
4) Wire up the parking brake wire of the new head unit
5) Wiring up the steering wheel controls
6) Connecting a new head to the existing screens
7) Replacing the interior/exterior lights with LEDs
8) Changing the speedometer display from kilometers to miles
9) Changing the clock by the rear view mirror so it doesn't display time in Japan
10) Switching off the remote start facility, so I don't get the horn beeping on start-up
11) Changing the aerial connection
12) Installing a new GPS aerial for the new satnav system
13) Installing a dash cam
14) The little switch under the steering wheel that switches the parking pole on and off

But FOG LIGHTS! Dios mio! I haven't got any of the little b#gg@ers! I do have an MOT however, so are they essential for an MOT. I could always try not to go out when its foggy I guess.

Definitive answers not guesses please!

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
yes a rear fog light is needed and needs to be present for an MOT. as you read you can get them cut into the bumper something which even manufacturers do to some of their cheaper cars to cut costs. Some are fitted under the rear bumper you can get old school ones that are metal in construction and can rot. mine is fitted under the bumper and is quite inconspicuous and is plastic. another option is to convert one of the reverse lights or fit 'switchback' bulbs to the reverse lights.
here is mine fitted
IMAG0799.jpg

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Think I will copy your example @Mr G. I can't understand how it managed to pass an MOT without one, but there you go. I have a spare slot in the row of switches below and to the right of the steering wheel. I will use one of those. Something to fit in before the next MOT. :)

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Think I will copy your example @Mr G. I can't understand how it managed to pass an MOT without one, but there you go. I have a spare slot in the row of switches below and to the right of the steering wheel. I will use one of those. Something to fit in before the next MOT. :)
I put my L200 in for an MOT in December, pickiest MOT I've ever had, 7 failures (several of them things the same place has passed for years) during the initial test and retest not once did they clock that it had no fog light. It had fallen off some months earlier and there was a hole where it quite obviously should have been 😀

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Can't find the MOT certificate among the documents that Boris (the dodgy Russian guy) gave me. Assume it must have one or I wouldn't have been able to tax it. Wonder if there is somewhere online I can find details of this?

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Actually, from the check I did on the car when I bought it, it says that it had an MOT carried out on 7th August 2017 and it passed.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
damn that Boris, in my experience my merc the only ever clean mot it had was when i bought it from a dealer

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Who and where did you buy yours from???

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Can't find the MOT certificate among the documents that Boris (the dodgy Russian guy) gave me. Assume it must have one or I wouldn't have been able to tax it. Wonder if there is somewhere online I can find details of this?
I think you have just found your answer in your own thread reply matey.

Just think how much else COULD be wrong that you don't know about. I would have yours checked over soonest for your safety.