E51 Fitting a drop down DVD in place of the rear screen in E51

Dana20000

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi all, have just removed my rear monitor and want to put up an xtrons drop down DVD. Have read on here that some people have done this but I need help in finding the relevant wiring. Was hoping to tap into a couple of wires on the original loom that supplied the previous oem screen. Need to find a permanent live and one that powers up when the ignition turns on. Any help appreciated, or if there's another way? Thanks

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Not having taken a look myself there should be at least a constant 12v supply up there and more than likely a switched... Best way is to check with a multimeter if possible

As for any source signals (video/audio) that aren't getting enraged locally from the xtrons unit you will have to run new cables as the factory wiring wouldn't build suitable for an aftermarket unit

Dana20000

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Have tried testing the ‘holes’ in the connector one by one but the end of my tester is just too large to get a good connection. May have to push the end of a paper clip in there to try and test or cut the plug off the old screen leaving some wire to test off when I plug it back in. That’s why I was hoping that I could find a wiring diagram or somebody who knew the wires to choose. Would save so much time if I could find the info.

Dana20000

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Not too worried about the av connection, may run a new AV cable and wire in to the plugs in the back so the kids can play movies on the DVD player in the roof.

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I tested all the wires when I fitted my Xtrons unit and they were all dead. Once you disconnect the original HU/Navi the power to the original rear screen is lost. I ended up taking a permanent live from the interior light (one above the sliding door) and fitting a separate switch inline to turn the dvd on/off.