E51 Entertainment for the grandson

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I've got all singing and dancing Xtrons, haven't bothered with the free view as I use my Wi-Fi hot-spot from my phone. I even use the wife for music (deezer) and when needed I can put YouTube vids on for the kids or any online streaming. Never had a problem.
I also use my mobile in the house to get internet on the laptop and ipads. People think we're backwards when they find out we don't have Sky tv or broadband.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
This is exactly why I use my phone and it’s unlimited data plan as my entertainment hub. Use it in all 3 vehicle we own and hire cars etc via Bluetooth. When it gets upgraded all the cars get a new av/nav system and I’ve only one device to manage and one sim contract to pay for.

Only problem I’ve encountered over poor network coverage is throttling of bandwidth when roaming abroad that prevents video streaming. I’m on Three on an old £20 sim only all you can eat data and 300 mins call time plan.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
This is exactly why I use my phone and it’s unlimited data plan as my entertainment hub. Use it in all 3 vehicle we own and hire cars etc via Bluetooth. When it gets upgraded all the cars get a new av/nav system and I’ve only one device to manage and one sim contract to pay for.

Only problem I’ve encountered over poor network coverage is throttling of bandwidth when roaming abroad that prevents video streaming. I’m on Three on an old £20 sim only all you can eat data and 300 mins call time plan.
Yeah I'm on a three sum only plan for about £23 unlimited data and 30gb of hot-spot data which I get nowhere near

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes, hot-spots thru a mobile phone are getting better in terms of availability and bandwidth. I note that THREE now tolerate tethering, at a price but not all SIM plans, eg they got arsy when I tethered thru my PAYG SIM! Other network providers are more tolerant.

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Let's break this down:

• The mifi creates a local wifi network for you to use with your tablet, phone etc
  • In the mifi is a SIM card which provides the cellular radio link to the nearest cellular base station
  • The base station provides the onward link to the internet
Possible congestion points are:
  • Availability of radio channels mifi to base station
  • Base station to internet bandwidth
Take the scenario of a camp site - folks get frustrated with the site wifi facility so turn on their mifi. The cellular network may or may not cope to say nothing of the down stream connection to the internet.

The bottom line is, most of the various services connecting the end user to the internet are shared, so if there's a lot of folk in the same area (camp site, traffic jam, football match etc) then congestion and slow speeds occur.

Of course network engineers continuously strive to overcome congestion, but it's an up hill challenge.

Hope this is helpful?
Yes Very mate, but still don't know what to do. Head spinning LOL

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yes Very mate, but still don't know what to do. Head spinning LOL
I think it depends what age your grandson is @James646 . My kids used to love watching dvd's in the car when they were younger but now they prefer to use their own tablets/phones pre loaded with games, music & films etc. so no wi-fi needed. There's a cig lighter in the boot to run chargers from.

If he's younger & you want to use the flip down rear screen, you need to connect something to the rear aux point by the middle seat or copy & convert your dvd discs to ntsc format & play through the front dvd player if you still have one.

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I think it depends what age your grandson is @James646 . My kids used to love watching dvd's in the car when they were younger but now they prefer to use their own tablets/phones pre loaded with games, music & films etc. so no wi-fi needed. There's a cig lighter in the boot to run chargers from.

If he's younger & you want to use the flip down rear screen, you need to connect something to the rear aux point by the middle seat or copy & convert your dvd discs to ntsc format & play through the front dvd player if you still have one.
He is just 4 Phil, copying then converting is such a pain. Thank's for your input Phil :)

Jasper

E50 Owner
My kids used to love watching dvd's in the car when they were younger but now they prefer to use their own tablets/phones pre loaded with games, music & films etc.
Our experience exactly!
When the kids were small we started off with a little dvd player but that didn't have a save point option (or it only worked if aux power was left on), so that was a pain whenever you stopped.
Ever since I've used an old archos 604 media player ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...rchos player 604&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684 ), with an av out socket, so can be used as a standalone, or via the Elgrand screens.
You do have to convert files, but very easy once you've got your head around it, with something like this: https://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
If anyone has a link to a Android TV box would you please post as the only thing I can find are for home use or the expensive android media systems, Thank's in advance

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Well folk I decided to go for this
Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 HD Media Player Network Streamer Miracast DLNA 1080P
Got off ebay new with damaged packaging £22. So please be prepared to help with getting it up and running :);):imp:

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ok so I tested the Cyclone 4 I had bought, on the house TV. Oh joyful worked a treat. New 12v USB and cable came today, right lets get in the van. Just my bloody luck, when I plugged the unit in no light and a smell of a burnt out unit. I think I may just dress up as a clown and entertain him with a bit of slapstick comedy.
Any advice any suggestions. Apart from sticking my head in the oven.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Have bought the same unit as you James but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Still thinking about a 2 Din head unit. Have seen a nice looking Blaupunkt on Ebay which should be OK, I guess. One thing I still can't get to grips with is that the screens are expecting a NTSC signal but I assume the replacement head units put out a PAL video signal. Is it that the screens don't care what kind of signal they get, or can the replacement head units generally output in NTSC?

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
  • It may be that the OEM screens can accept NTSC or PAL.
  • If you had something like one of those cheepo reversing cameras (or other source like a camcorder) that you knew was outputting PAL video, you could plug it in to the rear RCA socket and see how the OEM screens coped.