E51 Entertainment for the grandson

Phill1

E51 Owner
The Xtrons is actually very good I've had one in mine for 3yrs now Brilliant for playing downloaded video music clips/ films etc from the net - also store n' play music files pictures etc watch TV in good areas - plays great thru both screens only thru back screen when driving obv - don't know about the other link but others will give more advice about ICE - I chose the Xtrons b/c it was the EASY option

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thank you Phil1 for your reply, do you have the twin aerial or the single and is it easy to get working.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'd be totally amazed if the DVB-T TV worked when stationary, let alone if the vehicle is moving.

Getting DAB/DAB+ working in an Elgrand is challenge enough and the aerial and signal requirements for the DVB- TV are even more demanding..

I'm happy to hear otherwise of course.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thank's Alan, see Phil1's answer to my question
I wonder if when @Phill1 says TV in good areas, how many areas and how good is good? Plus is that when stationary or otherwise.

If you look on the roofs of houses in your area and/or the area you visit, note the height of the freeview aerial and the size (number of elements). Compare this to the supplied monopole aerial that comes with the unit and you'll maybe see why I'm a bit sceptical as to the performance of the HU.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I'd be totally amazed if the DVB-T TV worked when stationary, let alone if the vehicle is moving.

Getting DAB/DAB+ working in an Elgrand is challenge enough and the aerial and signal requirements for the DVB- TV are even more demanding..

I'm happy to hear otherwise of course.
Yep, phone, unlimited data and Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube etc works better :p

James646

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I wonder if when @Phill1 says TV in good areas, how many areas and how good is good? Plus is that when stationary or otherwise.

If you look on the roofs of houses in your area and/or the area you visit, note the height of the freeview aerial and the size (number of elements). Compare this to the supplied monopole aerial that comes with the unit and you'll maybe see why I'm a bit sceptical as to the performance of the HU.
Yep I see were your coming from mate, thanks again

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
If you want 'freeview' you may be better with an android box running to the av sockets. You can then download the TVplayer app. Many android boxes allow usb or SD cards to be inserted for additional content to be played.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Freeview is DVB-T TV (for those who may not appreciate this)

What ever device you choose to receive it with, attempting to do it in a vehicle is always going to be a sub optimal solution.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
If you want 'freeview' you may be better with an android box running to the av sockets. You can then download the TVplayer app. Many android boxes allow usb or SD cards to be inserted for additional content to be played.
If anybody has managed to get a good, consistant wi-fi connection in their car it would be interesting to hear about it, because you can stream anything you like through these android boxes as @mattd says.

I tried a crap box a while back & even that would stream anything with the car on the drive connected to my home wi-fi. I often wonder if there's anything good enough for stable in car wi-fi.

For people camping you can set up the android streaming apps onto your android tablet & connect hdmi lead to your camping tv - good camp wi-fi needed of course.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Sounds like the supermarket own brand larger I tried tonight. :joy:
I hope you're not on the 9% + stuff - it's the slippery slope....:eek:

And @Phil not only a good wifi signal, but not too many others using it at the same time.

Those adds for boosters that boost the wifi signal never tell you that the wifi link is only part of the solution - wifi connects you to the campsite network, but it's that network which is shared by every other camper and is the slow bit to the internet. Ditto for internet connection over mobile phones - if lots of folks (in the same area) are using it at the same time, it'll be slow.

Last edited:

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
What about the mi-fi set ups I wonder Alan? The only downside is if you find a good one you'll end up having to watch coronation street in France. :p
Let's break this down:

• The mifi creates a local wifi network for you to use with your tablet, phone etc
  • In the mifi is a SIM card which provides the cellular radio link to the nearest cellular base station
  • The base station provides the onward link to the internet
Possible congestion points are:
  • Availability of radio channels mifi to base station
  • Base station to internet bandwidth
Take the scenario of a camp site - folks get frustrated with the site wifi facility so turn on their mifi. The cellular network may or may not cope to say nothing of the down stream connection to the internet.

The bottom line is, most of the various services connecting the end user to the internet are shared, so if there's a lot of folk in the same area (camp site, traffic jam, football match etc) then congestion and slow speeds occur.

Of course network engineers continuously strive to overcome congestion, but it's an up hill challenge.

Hope this is helpful?

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
I was going to use a mifi when we moved house and broadband hadn't been connected yet. I ended up getting a cheap data sim and putting it in an old 4G mobile phone, using that to tether and turning it into its own mifi hotspot. L