E50 Engine running problem

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Hi guys, I just got a E50 3.2 tdi got a few running problems, any help would be grateful.
Engine warning light on and flashes
Glow plug coil light is on and flashes
The engine revs up and down when cold
Fault codes in engine ecu
Air flow meter and coolant temperature sensor
Both fault codes come back after erasing.
Had a split intake pipe after the air flow meter which I’ve repaired but doesn’t rely make a difference
While driving it’s lacking power
If reved hard while stationary it has black smoke from tail pipe

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
First port of call would be to get the AFM and CTS looked at as per fault codes. Both of these could cause over fueling giving you your black smoke when revved hard.

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Live data shows the coolant temp sensor reading correct temps, the AFM also seems to be reading correct.
I’ve ordered a new AFM & CTS I guess I got to start somewhere.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Live data shows the coolant temp sensor reading correct temps, the AFM also seems to be reading correct.
I’ve ordered a new AFM & CTS I guess I got to start somewhere.
Is my brain not working this morning ,what's a AFM and CTS ??? Do u have your own code reader ??? Sounds decent to have live data

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I have a similar problem with my 3.2 ,but haven't got round to looking into it ,checked all pipework for any splits but none ,changed air and fuel filter,maf and intercooler next on my list when weather warms,dries up

Ben E50

E50 Owner
I have a similar problem with my 3.2 ,but haven't got round to looking into it ,checked all pipework for any splits but none ,changed air and fuel filter,maf and intercooler next on my list when weather warms,dries up
First port of call would be to get the AFM and CTS looked at as per fault codes. Both of these could cause over fueling giving you your black smoke when revved hard.

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
The maf controls the air and fuel mix, and would be my first point to check and clean as your split hose that has now been fixed may have let dirt onto the wire sensor, making it run incorrectly.

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Hi rob I would check the wiring at the air mass sensor, a wire can break on the back of the connector. Simple check for you to do.

David Morison

E50 Owner
EGR can cause black smoke on revving hard, mine used to leave a sooty smudge on the drive, then I disabled EGR and it's clean as a whistle and smoother/more responsive.

Ben E50

E50 Owner
EGR can cause black smoke on revving hard, mine used to leave a sooty smudge on the drive, then I disabled EGR and it's clean as a whistle and smoother/more responsive.
David how do I go about the EGR delete?
I have got a coolant temp sensor air mass meter on order so hopefully get them fitted at the weekend

Last edited:

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Does anyone know what voltage should be on the signal wire out of the Air Mass at idle and when reved to around 2500 rpms
I get 2.5volts and 3.5volts when reved (approx) I guess this is correct??
Does anyone know.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
So I guess your saying disconnect the vacuum pipe and blank it off and leave the egr valve in place
Basically yes ,works well, my last e50 it made a massive difference ,I asked earlier about code reader ,if it's yours what is ??? Or if it's a garages ???if u search on here for mod it will be somewhere