Electrical problems

jackv

E51 Owner
The elgrand started showing problems when the revers camera intermittently stopped working. At first it will switch on when the car is put into revers. But then it will toggle between the map and camera . When I looked outside at the reverse light it was flickering. It was flickering at the same interval as the display was toggling between camera view and the map. There is a reverse alarm that should be beeping inside the car and the beeping sound seem to disappear when the revers light flickers and the camera stops working. I initially thought it had something to do with the a bad connection made buy the people I bought the car from. They wired the fog lights into the tail lights. (could still be a starting point as the connections was made inside the driver side tail lights access panel.

Things started to deteriorate from there. I noticed while driving that some notification lights was flickering. The vdc and the 4wd light would flicker . That coincided with the headlights (outside)flickering at the same time. After 2 or 3 weeks of that the car got to a point where it stopped working intermittently. The key sign would display and the engine would not turn over. When left over night the car would sometimes work the next day and then start with everything working fine and then over the course of the day show all the signs and then stop working. I have connected a ODB and extracted some codes.

No1) 1610

(No2) 1612

(No3) D001

(No4) 1720

(No5) 1574

jackv

E51 Owner
I am trying some recommnded people on the website and will give updates and how it was resolved. If any one gets the same symptoms

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
At first it sounded like a dodgy reverse switch when it was just camera and revere lights playing up. Now you say it's everything, I would suspect a bad earth from battery to Chassis or a bad battery connection as it seems to effect everything.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Have you checked for good voltage/ battery & alternator are ok?

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
D001 is not a valid cose, P1610 is usually Immobiliser fault, P1612 is ecm to immu problems. 1574 and 1720 are associated with the speed sensor circuit.

I would try a battery and connections prior to anything else

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Your intial problem indicates problems with rear cab idpm/ rear lights/earthing.
Your secondary problem indicate issues between driver c/u and bcm communication , one possible cause is dirt accumulation on the terminals, we had this before and spent a full day figuring it out.
Start by cleaning fuses, relays and earthing terminals pay particular attention to the ones below steering wheel under the letter "B"
One of those is the fusable link to the BCM another does the driver C/U
Jap translation just says electrical components 1 & 2 so doesnt tell you much. Fuses may be good but dirt accumulation may still be an issue, so you need to clean the terminals.
Also check the AT/CU fuse/relay is good if that is malfunctioning it would of caused your reverse camera to go on the blink, as well as a lot of other things,though i doubt that is your issue but check anyway.
Any codes you are getting could be caused by poor/ intermittent bcm to driver c/u communication.
Hopefully it will solve your problem , it did for us, if not make a list of which operations are not working, door closers ,switches, lights etc etc it will give you a better idea of which component has failed. Then check operation of rear cab idpm , driver c/u and bcm
If none of that solves your problem just go down the boozer and get pissed! Problem solved! Lol
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

jackv

E51 Owner
So I started in the boozer thinking about how I was going to tackle this. The next day I went to the boozer and mentally planed. So on the 3 day I started by removing all the fuses from the fuse box inside the car located under the steering wheel. I used a flat screw driver to clean the metal connections and reinserted them.
I noticed that there was two wires that had quick bridge connectors on them. I opened one of them up and fiddled with it a bit (I could hear noises on the car communication speaker when I moved the wire so it made me think it had a bad contact point).. the next day I took the car to Philips auto centre in Portsmouth. Whilst driving the car there non of the faults came up. Two days later I got a called to collect the car. They manage to read the error codes but could not find any faults as everything was working ( They would not take money as they could not find a fault). I have been driving the car now for 4 day and none of the errors seem to have come back. So I think the problem was defo located at the fuse box under the steering wheel. A combination of cleaning the fuses and fiddling with the wires seem to have fixed it (FOR now) every day passes with me gaining more and more confidence that the problem has now been resolved. I will when I get time replace the quick bridge connectors with more trust worthy ones. Big Thanks for all the comments and advice Steve,em , chris wills Garry Daniels , MrRob_in, Spuddyo. All the best for 2018 to all

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Great news👍, fingers crossed it stays fixed 😁