E51 Electrical Help

Can anyone advise me of an auto electrician that deal with E51. My tailgate won't open unless I unplug the fuse box under the rear N/S window and then plug it back in. I need to know whether it's the switch in the door or control unit attached to the fuse box that needs to be replaced.

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Can anyone advise me of an auto electrician that deal with E51. My tailgate won't open unless I unplug the fuse box under the rear N/S window and then plug it back in. I need to know whether it's the switch in the door or control unit attached to the fuse box that needs to be replaced.
Hard to say ..without testing..... could also possibly be the control unit in the Tailgate itself
Steve at
TOJOMOTORSUK

Thanks for your help. Is there a way for me to test to make sure I'm replacing the correct part. I've heard it could be the switch in the door and someone else said it will be the control unit attached to the fuse box.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Any decent auto electrician could do it for you. I asked the local garage who service my car's who they use for tricky electric jobs and they were happy to give my his details. Saves my car taking up ramp space I guess ;)

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks for your help. Is there a way for me to test to make sure I'm replacing the correct part. I've heard it could be the switch in the door and someone else said it will be the control unit attached to the fuse box.
Tricky one test voltage and operation of door lock solenoid , Tailgate c/u and IPDM to determine faulty component
Steve

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Have all parts on stock and if your anywhere near Beverley east York's we can repair it for you.
Steve at
TOJOMOTORSUK
From what you have said my guess would be Tgate lock mechanism or Tgate c/u. If it makes life easier for you you can send us the parts for testing. We can test and return or replace them for you if that's a cheaper option than auto electrician.
Steve at
TOJOMOTORSUK
Elgrandcarparts.co.uk

From what you have said my guess would be Tgate lock mechanism or Tgate c/u. If it makes life easier for you you can send us the parts for testing. We can test and return or replace them for you if that's a cheaper option than auto electrician.
Steve at
TOJOMOTORSUK
Elgrandcarparts.co.uk
Thanks for all the help. I fixed the problem. It was dirt on the commutator of the actuator motor. Pity the auto electrician didn't figure this out on both of his visits, I fixed it myself.A huge thanks to stevemen tojomotorsuk for all the advice and supplying parts. Great servic highly recommended if you're looking for parts.

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks for all the help. I fixed the problem. It was dirt on the commutator of the actuator motor. Pity the auto electrician didn't figure this out on both of his visits, I fixed it myself.A huge thanks to stevemen tojomotorsuk for all the advice and supplying parts. Great servic highly recommended if you're looking for parts.
Cheers Robert good to know you sorted it

Hi Robert, I’ve had the same problem with my tailgate for years. Can you tell me how you cleaned the commutator.
Cheers

Hi,it’s really easy and a ten minute job.
Remove the handles and panel from the door afew screws and there are fasteners which need to be carefully prised off (much easier if there’s two of you one to hold the panel up and prevent it falling)
Unplug the wiring loom from the door actuato (three bolts) unscrew the three philips screws on the brass coloured motor cover and prise the cover off. You should now see the motor and if this is the problem the commutator should be black with carbon. Clean this using emery paper until the segments are bright copper. Use a blade of a modelling or Stanley knife to clean in between the segments and put everything back together. This is the most common problem but if it’s not dirt on the motor I have the other two components that could be causing the problem if you need them.