E51 Electric side door ( RHS ) upgrade from manual

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just a thought guys which I'm asking,

Has anyone actually and with success upgraded their E51 right hand side side door from manual to full electric mode as per the standard electric passenger side door???

I know from Sept 2004 onwards with the E51 facelift series 2 it was pretty much standard for both doors to be electric and or manual if you turn the switch power off which ive tried and tested FYI.

I am just wondering if 1. The early E51's from 2002-2004 are pre-wired for just one door or BOTH and or if its just a simple case of installing the electric door motor and wiring and the switch and any relevant relays required???

Has anyone done this upgrade please or is it a NON starter total ball ache and not worth persuing??.

Reason I ask is that I am tending to want to use the RHS door a lot more than the left hand side electric door hence why I wish it was just that.

The same too for the later door mirrors with built in indicators and left kerb camera??? or is the profile shape/mountings different on series 1 models compared to series 2/3 models???

Cheers. Brendan

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
It’s a huge job, BCM and various hardware mods need doing as well as all the wiring looms then there are the obvious cables and motors too.

Easier to buy another car with twin electric sliders imo. You’ll likey need a donor car anyway. :p

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Im thinking of fitting a curb cam to my near side mirror and feeding it to my unused rear video RCA so it’s on all the time. Routing wires into mirror the only real problem.

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Kerb cameras are a simple mod, i have cameras fitted to both wing mirrors to aid parking, i also have bumper cameras too.

The rhs door, is a huge task, i started to gather all the parts to do it last year, you need the rear o/s wiring loom from a car with the electric door, you need new bcm, new door control module, new door loom, then the motor inc cable, then cut precise square holes in the body to allow the cable to run through, a new door hinge is required too as the standard one wont allow the cable to fit.

The only part that is there already is the wiring at the front for the switch, i bought most of the parts to try to do this and they cost me around £900 not inc the door hinge which is around £300-400 from japan and not inc the rear loom from a vehicle with electric door, this all then needs wiring in, the motor mounts are there but nothing else.

I think it would close to £2000 to fit fully and get working.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Kerb cameras are a simple mod, i have cameras fitted to both wing mirrors to aid parking, i also have bumper cameras too.

The rhs door, is a huge task, i started to gather all the parts to do it last year, you need the rear o/s wiring loom from a car with the electric door, you need new bcm, new door control module, new door loom, then the motor inc cable, then cut precise square holes in the body to allow the cable to run through, a new door hinge is required too as the standard one wont allow the cable to fit.

The only part that is there already is the wiring at the front for the switch, i bought most of the parts to try to do this and they cost me around £900 not inc the door hinge which is around £300-400 from japan and not inc the rear loom from a vehicle with electric door, this all then needs wiring in, the motor mounts are there but nothing else.

I think it would close to £2000 to fit fully and get working.
I think I will pass on that idea then. Cheers guys. LOL

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
not had any issues with either of our doors tbh. i think that maybe they dont get used as much so "sieze" up a little, maybe causing the cable to snap prematurely.
No it’s not common to have problems with them and they seem fairly reliable most of the time but it seems more problems are reported on driver than passenger side. Which is odd because a smaller proportion or cars have them on that side.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
not had any issues with either of our doors tbh. i think that maybe they dont get used as much so "sieze" up a little, maybe causing the cable to snap prematurely.
Possible. Maybe you should open and close them a couple of times a week to keep em all running nicely. Preventative maintenance.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
No it’s not common to have problems with them and they seem fairly reliable most of the time but it seems more problems are reported on driver than passenger side. Which is odd because a smaller proportion or cars have them on that side.
I even turned my passenger door power off the other day via the switch under the drivers knee panel and tried the door on manual mode. All was well. Just need to give the runners top and bottom both sides a grease up so they run freely.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Possible. Maybe you should open and close them a couple of times a week to keep em all running nicely. Preventative maintenance.
Same with rear flappy windows to stop rubber sticking and using foot/handbrake to stop it corroding up between MOTs. :D

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Same with rear flappy windows to stop rubber sticking and using foot/handbrake to stop it corroding up between MOTs. :D
First post of 2018. My rear flappy windows Rob have stopped working again. Bloody annoying they are TBH. Bad design by Nissan. Should have just left them as push outs like the side doors are. Less to go wrong.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
First post of 2018. My rear flappy windows Rob have stopped working again. Bloody annoying they are TBH. Bad design by Nissan. Should have just left them as push outs like the side doors are. Less to go wrong.
They are nice when they work. It’s good to open them on the move with front windows cracked a little. I’d not want to stop and open them then drive for a bit then either have to stop before I got on the motorway or have to put up with the wind noise if I forget to close them. I’d rather they just failed closed tbh.

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
They are nice when they work. It’s good to open them on the move with front windows cracked a little. I’d not want to stop and open them then drive for a bit then either have to stop before I got on the motorway or have to put up with the wind noise if I forget to close them. I’d rather they just failed closed tbh.

Last edited:

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
My selling dealer ( WRM ) said they can often play up but he got them working fine for me when I collected her the other month. He said they sometimes just need a gentle tap on the body of them and the spring back in to life. Got to try this one day soon albeit I don't wish for them to be stuck open either.

Regards,