E51 E51 wing mirror compatibility

Mike Anderton

E51 Owner
Re: E51, 2006, white.

The better half has reversed my beloved Elgrand into the gate and bent the left side mirror backwards.
The outer casing is fine, but the internal metal connector has broken - see photo.

http://instagr.am/p/Bd6sIMOHamZ/
I don't want to buy a whole new wing mirror and think I just need the inner metal ring.
Unfortunately, it's the side camera and LED winker version and I've been quoted £500 to replace the full unit.
Does anyone know if I can take the broken bit from a standard wing mirror (without camera/LED) as I can probably pick one up much cheaper??!!
Anybody know if these will be compatible??
Help much appreciated.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
@stevemen is probably your man, to advise & supply the part But I’d guess the parts are unique and / or too much damage would likely be done as I think glass gets broken taking mirror apart.

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
For the benefit of others with similar problem.
Its always the cast metal collar that breaks when the mirror get knocked.
I seem to remember checking this out some time back and if my memory serves me right the internal workings of a standard mirror are different to the mechanism of the indicator wing mirror.
If you post a pic of the broken part in full i will compare it and confirm whether that is actually the case .
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

Gramps

Love gadgets but can't remember how to use 'em
Premium Member
E51 Owner
If you can't get a replacement and get it a part, for the cost and some time try using JB Weld. It's a 2 pack epoxy with metal so can be drilled, tapped and filed. Can be bought from Halfords. I normaly roughen the original surface well and also if possible drill small holes in it so the epoxy fills the holes and gets a better grip. Any overflow can be cleaned (cut, filed) off after. Another product the same, perhaps a bit better but not so easy to get is Devcon.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Re: E51, 2006, white.

The better half has reversed my beloved Elgrand into the gate and bent the left side mirror backwards.
The outer casing is fine, but the internal metal connector has broken - see photo.

http://instagr.am/p/Bd6sIMOHamZ/
I don't want to buy a whole new wing mirror and think I just need the inner metal ring.
Unfortunately, it's the side camera and LED winker version and I've been quoted £500 to replace the full unit.
Does anyone know if I can take the broken bit from a standard wing mirror (without camera/LED) as I can probably pick one up much cheaper??!!
Anybody know if these will be compatible??
Help much appreciated.
Have you banned her from driving it now!!!vLOL