E51 E51 tailgate.

Lumpy

E51 Owner
Hello All,

Just a few quick questions about the rear door.

1. What is the button on the number plate surround for?
2. How high should the tailgate go?

I am thinking I may need some new struts, but just want to check.

Many thanks in advance,

Darren.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hello All,

Just a few quick questions about the rear door.

1. What is the button on the number plate surround for?
2. How high should the tailgate go?

I am thinking I may need some new struts, but just want to check.

Many thanks in advance,

Darren.
The button is for your keyless entry so you can open it from the outside with your finger. You just push it and the door will unlock and you lift it up.

Regarding the rams, they should with your helping hand hold the rear door fully up and if they don't then they are worn and need replacing. I would suggest you contact SGS who will be able to sell you a pair of like for like items or if you fancy a bit of bling you could have their uprated stainless steel type which are not exactly cheap but look great.

Lumpy

E51 Owner
Thanks you,

Looks like I need to have a look at it, my button currently does nothing and I have to pull and push the tailgate quite a bit.

Regards,

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
The button will only work to unlock the vehicle if you have your keyfob in close proximity. You will still need to open the tailgate manually.
Yes in deed you will need the remote close by and sometimes being around the rear of the vehicle the signal can be weak but both my remotes work fine and from quite a distance but I have fitted new batteries in them.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Check the button is connected too, when I undersealed mine I forgot to plug it back in the put all the door back together. Once it's warm out side I'll strip it and plug it back in. Mine struts are in the way out too and the door needs an extra nudge to send it the last few inches.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
My struts might need a clean and some wd40 as they make a bit of a noise and also need a hand for the last few inches.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the mounting point, maybe with some sort of bracket, to give a couple more inches of lift? Everyone bangs their head on it even at full height. I wonder if there are longer struts that would fit.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
My struts might need a clean and some wd40 as they make a bit of a noise and also need a hand for the last few inches.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the mounting point, maybe with some sort of bracket, to give a couple more inches of lift? Everyone bangs their head on it even at full height. I wonder if there are longer struts that would fit.
@Alan Morgan bought some stronger struts that he had made from SGS . That would fix the problem with the last few inches but unless you're a short arse like me it won't do anything to stop you banging your nut - unless SGS can make them a bit longer?

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner

They tailgate won't go any higher, as at full height the top of the tailgate is mm from the end of the roof. Any more lift and the there's contact.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Check the button is connected too, when I undersealed mine I forgot to plug it back in the put all the door back together. Once it's warm out side I'll strip it and plug it back in. Mine struts are in the way out too and the door needs an extra nudge to send it the last few inches.
That's what my missus always says:confused::confused::confused::confused::p:p:p