E51 E51 Air mass sensor or MAF

Arctic Fox

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Why did you change MAF sensor? you said the light came on after you changed it?...if it was not on why change? They need a true 5 wire connection as the sensor needs to sense air flow quantity and also the temperature of the air...you will see a resister/thermister component looking thing with the plastic housing. The 21quid one i got seems to be reading correctly and still the case after an throttle closed position learn and idle learn

M

monoblockg44

I changed mine, due to reading on another forum that you may get a performance increase by fitting a new one. I have been advised since, that this is not the case!
The only reason I made the post was to highlight the issue with buying parts that may look the same, be listed on a forum, but wont work when fitted.
Be careful ensuring the part is compatible. In my case, the sensor had a 5 wire connection, fitted perfectly, but the internal electronics were slightly different causing the engine light to come on. "If its not broken don't fix it!" :oops: :oops:

Arctic Fox

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
....thats great to share your experience and thanks for adding to the forum.....i like to ask if its not broke...then what does it do so that i know for when it breaks........ a good specific MAF cleaner and a good quality non oiled filter element will keep the MAF in tip top condition

P

PearlE51

I recently had to replace some headlight bulbs and removed the air cleaner with MAF attached.
Since then I've had nothing but drama with the engine management light coming on every morning placing my elgrand in limp mode.
I'm so glad the UK has cheap MAF sensors because here in Australia they cost 300 bucks.
http://www.sinergymotorsports.com.a...lectrical-mass-air-sensor-nissan-elgrand-e51/
I have yet to order one but will do asap now that I know more about the product and understand the engine management light comes on either because of the chain or the MAF from what I have found online

pimpItUp

E50 Owner
Ozzie, Looks very much like the one JustJap (Sydney) are offering for $150 on eBay. Could part number be: 22680-6N21A?

Oh... and also make sure you clean the MAF with MAF spray around once/year.

Bristoldrums

E51 Owner

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
My van has been sat for 3 weeks and I started it up tonight to an initial rough idle followed by an EML. Screen tells me via google translate that "There mat be an abnormality in the engine control system" I ran nissan data scan and it threw up 'P0103, MAF SEN/CIRCUIT'
Tomorrow I will play about with the MAF sensor see what happens. recently I changed the spark plugs which required the removal of the intake so that may have upset it? anyone else got any ideas of what I should be checking?

Garry Daniels

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Last edited:

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Been looking at my MAF today...Removed and cleaned it to no avail. got NDSII on it and it has a constant reading of 5.11v no matter what the revs are doing. this apparently is a rare code P0103 (consistent high voltage). one option is that the MAF it self is dead. another is there is a dodgy wire connection somewhere. does anyone else have any other ideas

MintSauce

Premium Member
E51 Owner
You could try disconnecting the MAF and then firing the engine up. If you are still getting 5v then that could point towards a short in the wiring with the supply voltage. If it stays at zero/low then the MAF is probably gone.

What kind of MAF do you have? I've still got my early 2002 5 pin hanging around that was reading slightly high and causing cutout at idle. I could mail it to help with diagnostics.

The only other thing I can find associated with that error code is a fault on the wiring of the MAP sensor, but I don't know if we even have one of those.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
You could try disconnecting the MAF and then firing the engine up. If you are still getting 5v then that could point towards a short in the wiring with the supply voltage. If it stays at zero/low then the MAF is probably gone.

What kind of MAF do you have? I've still got my early 2002 5 pin hanging around that was reading slightly high and causing cutout at idle. I could mail it to help with diagnostics.

The only other thing I can find associated with that error code is a fault on the wiring of the MAP sensor, but I don't know if we even have one of those.
I did pull it off to see how it ran, I didn't look specifically at the voltage but it didn't give P0103 (high volts) code, it gave a low volts code. Plugged back in and it gave original high. I just looked at wiring to the ecu and nothing is indicating it is that

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Been looking at my MAF today...Removed and cleaned it to no avail. got NDSII on it and it has a constant reading of 5.11v no matter what the revs are doing. this apparently is a rare code P0103 (consistent high voltage). one option is that the MAF it self is dead. another is there is a dodgy wire connection somewhere. does anyone else have any other ideas
Having had MAFF sensor issues in the past on my E50 3.0 Neo Elgrand I decided after that if I ever had any problems again with a MAFF I would just buy a new one and be done with it. Sometimes a hard and expensive pill to swallow but it sure beats messing around trying to find a solution to which will more than likely turn out to be a dead MAFF anyway in the end.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
@MintSauce sorry to ask a diff question, but my 3.5 e50 maf might be on its way out , if I clean it car runs really sweet perfect , but after 100 miles car seems to be just off the pace a little , nothing major or any alarms just a little lost of power , so is it poss faulty maf ??? And exactly where would I get a new one for a 2001 3.5 e50 , I had heard z350 are the same ?? And other cars ???

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@MintSauce sorry to ask a diff question, but my 3.5 e50 maf might be on its way out , if I clean it car runs really sweet perfect , but after 100 miles car seems to be just off the pace a little , nothing major or any alarms just a little lost of power , so is it poss faulty maf ??? And exactly where would I get a new one for a 2001 3.5 e50 , I had heard z350 are the same ?? And other cars ???
George @ DCY Europe will be able to get you a MAFF and or Brian @ BMR and or autojapspares matey.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Having had MAFF sensor issues in the past on my E50 3.0 Neo Elgrand I decided after that if I ever had any problems again with a MAFF I would just buy a new one and be done with it. Sometimes a hard and expensive pill to swallow but it sure beats messing around trying to find a solution to which will more than likely turn out to be a dead MAFF anyway in the end.
Yeah I'm about to order one I think, cant even drive it at the moment.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
Update...I ordered a Micra MAF from Ebay on Thursday night and it arrived Saturday morning before I headed out.

I took it outside and swapped it over and fired up NDSII and cleared all the old codes. Immediately I noticed it was giving out a different voltage to the original and continued to fire up the Van. winner winner chicken dinner, it revved all the way round. I took it round the circle outside my house and all was good. parked up and punched the throttle. and it did start to stall a little but thats for another day The van runs and I can go camping next week.