E50 E50 Wheel Info

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
16" wheels in need of spigot rings - note the gap:worried::

Installing nylon spigot rings 100mm id - 110 mm od:

End result - wheel fitted properly:

These are 8Jx16 EMR alloys - not sure on the offset, but just poke out from the bodywork ever so slightly (215/60/16 cheap tyres soon to be replaced):

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I've seen 19" on an E50 but never seen 20", mind you, I don't think I'd like the ride in one with 20's the elastic bands for tyres would make a very harsh ride, plus with the weight of the ellie being 2.5ton the wheels would probably crack or buckle on our lovely roads
rapperfrapper I understand the wheel info chart ,is it against law to have wheels with tyres on that out of the tolerances mentioned.or is just to keep speedo readings correct,i was thinking of increasing wall thickness on my 18 to make ride more comfy ? thanks

Rapperfrapper

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
rapperfrapper I understand the wheel info chart ,is it against law to have wheels with tyres on that out of the tolerances mentioned.or is just to keep speedo readings correct,i was thinking of increasing wall thickness on my 18 to make ride more comfy ? thanks
It's not illegal, it's just that I diff size will cause an error on how accurate speedo will read, as long as know if speedo is slower or fast than your actual speed so you dont get speeding ticket.
Be careful if your wheel/tyre combination extends further than your rear wheel arch or your side sliding door will catch it as there is very little clearance between door and wheel arch.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
thanks rapper I will give that ago,i love the look of of my 18 but hate the hardness of the ride,i think I might try to increase wall thickness by 15mm to 20mm

D

Damo

I'm in York @malcolmyz85
My 17's are in a pretty shabby way though mate they need a full refurb. Not curbed but they are flaking in places and got that milky mottled thing going on on the face of them.
Can put some pics on tomorrow when it's daylight if you want.

Hi @RobP are your wheels still for sale? I'm looking for a set of 17's for my e50.

Just want to ask what tires i need? I bought 18 inch bahnsport blest wheels for my e50 2wd qd32 1998. The front offset 28 with width of 8 and the rear offset 30 with 9 width. What size of tires and air pressure do I need? Also, what does via t 955kg stamped at the back of the wheel mean? Is this ok for my van?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwi

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Good on ya Karl, just started thing of buying some new boots for mine. So the info going to help

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Just want to ask what tires i need? I bought 18 inch bahnsport blest wheels for my e50 2wd qd32 1998. The front offset 28 with width of 8 and the rear offset 30 with 9 width. What size of tires and air pressure do I need? Also, what does via t 955kg stamped at the back of the wheel mean? Is this ok for my van?
This is my favourite site for working out wheel/tyre clearances etc: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

In the post above my bus was running with 8J x 16 ETo rims with 215/60 R16 tyres - the main problem with this offset at the rear was the tyre rubbed against the door card of the sliding door when you opened it.

I'd guess that the 955kg relates to the wheel load rating - so the 4 wheels of your Elgrand should be rated for a total of 3820kg, which should be a bit more than the heaviest fully loaded E50 would weigh.

Kiwi

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks Steve MK1, downloaded the link.
Here you can't have any of your wheels exposed,the vehicle would be classified as not roadworthy as they may come in contact with pedestrians, bullshit.
If that was the case l'd be running them over, not.:giggle:

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks Steve MK1, downloaded the link.
Here you can't have any of your wheels exposed,the vehicle would be classified as not roadworthy as they may come in contact with pedestrians, bullshit.
If that was the case l'd be running them over, not.:giggle:
I don't think those 8J ET0 rims/tyres were UK legal on my bus when I got her, as you could see the tread on the tyres looking straight down from above - in the UK you can have rubber/wheels outside the body, but not tyre tread !

mark123

E50 Owner
can i ask ,to find out do i just measure the hole in the middle, and if so from the outside or the inside in case they taper ?

dangerous brain

E50 Owner
This is my favourite site for working out wheel/tyre clearances etc: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

In the post above my bus was running with 8J x 16 ETo rims with 215/60 R16 tyres - the main problem with this offset at the rear was the tyre rubbed against the door card of the sliding door when you opened it.

I'd guess that the 955kg relates to the wheel load rating - so the 4 wheels of your Elgrand should be rated for a total of 3820kg, which should be a bit more than the heaviest fully loaded E50 would weigh.
That looks like a great resource but what is the original wheel and tyre size? I have BK racing 17"s that look like the tyre size is too low profile. I like a decent bit of ride comfort so tend to er on the larger profile side when I select tyres. What maxx profile could a 235 17 wheel have on it? I would also assume that with a 4wd motor you should have the same rolling radius back and front to prevent wind up in the diffs? I ask that question ass there appears to be more arch room in the back wheel arches than the front so I could go with higher profile on the back for extra comfort.

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
That looks like a great resource but what is the original wheel and tyre size? I have BK racing 17"s that look like the tyre size is too low profile. I like a decent bit of ride comfort so tend to er on the larger profile side when I select tyres. What maxx profile could a 235 17 wheel have on it? I would also assume that with a 4wd motor you should have the same rolling radius back and front to prevent wind up in the diffs? I ask that question ass there appears to be more arch room in the back wheel arches than the front so I could go with higher profile on the back for extra comfort.
Stock E50 is 215/65 R15.

I've now got 225/50 R17 all round (4WD) on Terrano 7Jx17 Rims:

235/50 R17 is an exact match size wise for 215/65 R15, but seems a really rare size.