E50 E50 Wheel Info

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
If you are looking to change your wheels, this information might be of some use to you:

E50 Wheel Info

PCD (number of studs and placement) : 6 x 139.7mm
Wheel Centre Bore : 100mm
Offset : +35mm

If you get aftermarket alloys, the PCD HAS to match else you won't get the wheel on. You can use a hub converter to change the stud pattern, but this is not something I've ever done or would recommend based on MY limited mechanical knowledge. Someone who knows a bit more might be able to give some technical information on hub converters.

As for the centre bore, if you're alloys have a BIGGER centre bore (ie 110mm) then you will need some SPIGOT RINGS (aka HUB RINGS). The purpose of these rings is to fill the gap between the centre bore on your wheel hub and the center bore on the wheel. Without them, you might not ever be able to 100% centralise the wheel on the hub. This will cause wheel wobble when driving (usually noticable over 50mph).
If you get wheels with a SMALLER centre bore (ie 90mm), you will need to take them to a professional machine shop to get the bores extended to 100mm else they will NOT fit.

Offset, you need to keep the offset as CLOSE to the original as possible. If you chose the wrong offset you could end up having wheels that scrub on the the wing (+40mm)) or the suspension strut of the vehicle (+30mm) , depending on whether they stick out too much, or not far enough.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
You could always get 5mm spacers to push them back out a little, no biggie. I wouldn't normally recommend spacers as they put more pressure on the hub assembly, but 5mm is neither here nor there so should be fine :thumbup:

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Good info in terms of the numbers but offset works the opposite way around. It's a common misunderstanding ;)

Ie if et35 is the standard offset then et25 actually sticks further out by 10mm (more likely to run against arch) and et45 is further in (more likely to run against caliper / suspension components.

In my experience sticking further out is much easier and there's a fair deal of allowance, only thing to be wary of on elgrands is the rear sliding doors.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Cheers Minty. I always get that the wrong way around. I have lost count of the number of times I've been corrected on it.

neilloop

E50 Owner
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi,
Does it matter if alloys are for 4x4 Elgrand. Mine is the 2wd version. So would these fit?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=2936">https://www.performancealloys.com/wheel ... px?ID=2936</a><!-- m -->

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
They'd be fine mate. The problem is the other way around, going from a 2WD to a 4WD as the front hubs need more clearance for th centre caps due to the way the drive shafts connect up.

andrew wright

E50 Owner
Hi all, can anyone tell me if they know of any wheels from other cars will fit straight on a 99' E50 2WD 3.3 petrol, looking to change my 3 spoke chromes for something a bit different

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Has any body put 20's on an E50 before? Or does anyone know if they would fit?
Just toying with the idea at the moment, obviously the tyres would have be like elastic bands.... :rofl:

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Has any body put 20's on an E50 before? Or does anyone know if they would fit?
Just toying with the idea at the moment, obviously the tyres would have be like elastic bands.... :rofl:
I've seen 19" on an E50 but never seen 20", mind you, I don't think I'd like the ride in one with 20's the elastic bands for tyres would make a very harsh ride, plus with the weight of the ellie being 2.5ton the wheels would probably crack or buckle on our lovely roads

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
even 18 wheels are a harsh ride on a e50 so defo wouldn't want to be in motor with 20 on.i had 295 40 20 on a navara for abit and that was not nice at all

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks @Rapperfrapper & @malcolmyz85 for your input! Hadn't really thought about the ride comfort. Was mainly thinking looks wise. Think I'll scrap this idea, and stick with 17's pos go up to18's if I can find some at a good price!

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
They'd be fine mate. The problem is the other way around, going from a 2WD to a 4WD as the front hubs need more clearance for th centre caps due to the way the drive shafts connect up.
Karl, if poss could you (or anyone else) explain a bit further on this. I bought my wheels that came off a 2WD and now I'm confused/worried they won't fit my 4x4.

Rapperfrapper

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
The centre hole is 100mm on wheels for both 2wd and 4wd, the problem your likely to have is on the front wheels of your 4wd due to the linger centre hub as you have drive shafts on the front which 2wd don't, and the centre cap(if you have one) may not fit over the longer hubs, so yes wheels will fit but the centre cap may not depending on how much clearance is under the caps.

RobP

E50 Owner
Premium Member
where about are you ,I have 18 and might be talked into doing a deal with your 17
I'm in York @malcolmyz85
My 17's are in a pretty shabby way though mate they need a full refurb. Not curbed but they are flaking in places and got that milky mottled thing going on on the face of them.
Can put some pics on tomorrow when it's daylight if you want.

malcolmyz85

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
my 18 are not mint but in gd condition and don't really need any refub , I was going to put new tyres for summer .think I might just keep them and put thicker tyres on them.