E50 E50 Video/Audio Annotated Wiring Diagram

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Found this whilst searching the net. Might be useful for anyone wanting to use the standard wiring to upgrade video/audio equipment.

W

wozza

Hi there..
just looking at this diagram I'm wondering why the tail lights and parking brakes are attached to the stereo....I've recently put a new head unit in to replace the Japanese factory units....I found a permanent live and an ignition live no problem.... The ground I found dissappear ed when the lights where turned on...so instead I've grouped direct instead. ...
problem I now have is when I start the bus all the the odo meters have reset and the clock wont work, it's like the whole van has reset.... any ideas where I've gone wrong..

Thanks.

S

Simon

The parking brake creates an earth that will enable a video playback screen in the front, legally you are not allowed to have a video playing up front while in motion, but this can easily be sidestepped by connecting the brake wire from the headunit to a permanent earth.

As for the lights there should be a light signal wire from the headunit, this is to dim the display when its dark out (when you turn your lights on), sounds like you've hooked up the headlight signal to the main earth by mistake.

If you disconnected the battery (which technically you should) this would usually reset any trip meters and the clock, not the total odo reading though.

I wonder if the 'tail lamp relay' is incorrectly labelled ad should be the reverse lamp replay? This would be used to switch the front screen over to a reversing camera if fitted.

W

wozza

Thanks for the reply...yeah its not the odo but the trips which reset every time I turn off the ignition, also the climate control resets and the sunroof lock turns on..as well as the clock totally dead... is there a fuse for this as I cannot see this fuse board pics on here.thanis again

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
If this was a fuse, they would not work at all. You've definitely wired something up incorrectly. I would take it apart again and see if you can work out which wire is which. Using a multimeter will help.

The only wire you should have to have modified is the earth. There should be no need to chop and change any other wires unless it's been previously butchered (which I've seen on multiple occasions). If the earth is the only wire you have had to do anything with, and you are unsure where to put it to, get a spade connector and earth it to the bolts you use to secure the head unit in place. This works perfectly well for the head unit.