E50 E50 Transmission fluid

Philip Tyler

E50 Owner
Which automatic transmission fluid is recommended for my e50 and how much does it take to do a fluid change thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I’ve used Dexron 3 fully synthetic ATF in there with no problems. I’ve now got Valvoline Maxlife ATF in there as it’s meant to be a tiny bit better - again, runs fine with no problems. Maxlife is more expensive, but if you subscribe to Eurocarparts they do loads of 30% off flash sales so makes it easier on the wallet :whew:

I think I used around 5 litres on the last drain/fill. The box capacity is a lot higher, but you just can’t get it all out as it’ll be all sorts of places like the torque converter etc. After draining the sump, I run the car stationary for around 5 to 10 secs to pump some more fluid round into the sump to get as much out as possible. Remember when refilling to only put in as much as the dipstick tells you - with the engine running, cycle the gears, then put in neutral to test with the stick - I actually put less back in than came out, so the box it may have been overfilled before I got her :wondering:

Philip Tyler

E50 Owner
I’ve used Dexron 3 fully synthetic ATF in there with no problems. I’ve now got Valvoline Maxlife ATF in there as it’s meant to be a tiny bit better - again, runs fine with no problems. Maxlife is more expensive, but if you subscribe to Eurocarparts they do loads of 30% off flash sales so makes it easier on the wallet :whew:

I think I used around 5 litres on the last drain/fill. The box capacity is a lot higher, but you just can’t get it all out as it’ll be all sorts of places like the torque converter etc. After draining the sump, I run the car stationary for around 5 to 10 secs to pump some more fluid round into the sump to get as much out as possible. Remember when refilling to only put in as much as the dipstick tells you - with the engine running, cycle the gears, then put in neutral to test with the stick - I actually put less back in than came out, so the box it may have been overfilled before I got her :wondering:
Thanks

Philip Tyler

E50 Owner

Were is the filler or do you have to get it down the dip stick filler hole ?thanks

Kriss

E50 Owner
Premium Member
you'll have to get the elgrand up in the air to drain and fill it... but I'd love to see you get 5ltrs of oil in through the dip stick hole...:rofl:....

Kriss

E50 Owner
Premium Member
:(.... you're joking.... wtf did I fill with ATF from underneath...:mad:.... I'm gonna have to get it up in the air an drain it again....:banghead:.. balls...

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
:(.... you're joking.... wtf did I fill with ATF from underneath...:mad:.... I'm gonna have to get it up in the air an drain it again....:banghead:.. balls...
I'm not exactly skinny, but I tend to drain the engine oil and box oil without jacking the car up (standard height E50 3.2 TD)...one of the things I like about the bus!

This is probably the nearest thing to an Elgrand guide that we are going to get, knowing the R50/E50 crossover: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/ho...ion-fluid-and-filter-on-a-pathfinder-qx4.html

JasonS

E50 Owner
Making sure Im going to be using the right stuff for the right model..
HOMY 4X4
KD-AVWE50
AVWE50-035770
AVRWHFBE50UDA4-BA-

Engine QD32(ETI) 3153
Trans RE4R01A

A few people have told me to use Dexron 3 But when floating around the interwebs ive seen the odd post about something called Matic J.

Will Dexron 3 be alright ?

Many Thanks

M19LTE

E50 Owner
HOMY 4X4
KD-AVWE50
AVWE50-035770
AVRWHFBE50UDA4-BA-

Engine QD32(ETI) 3153
Trans RE4R01A

A few people have told me to use Dexron 3 But when floating around the interwebs ive seen the odd post about something called Matic J.

Many Thanks
Just get the recommended matic j/s or equivalent. Euro car parts sell their triple qx for nissan/matic

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
HOMY 4X4
KD-AVWE50
AVWE50-035770
AVRWHFBE50UDA4-BA-

Engine QD32(ETI) 3153
Trans RE4R01A

Many Thanks
I think Matic J is intended for newer transmissions like on the E51, whereas the RE4R01a on the E50 requires Matic D or equivalent - as you've found people say use Dex3 as equivalent etc.

M19LTE

E50 Owner
I can't quite remember which was which j/d/s or whatever it was but when i noticed. One superseded the older one. It's a mine field. But I found the info I needed at euro's with their triple qx fluids. Used them for year's now no issues