E50 E50 running too cold ????

RMS

E50 Owner
Hello folks ... I have a '97 E50 Diesel 3.2 in gorgeous condition fully converted to a camper and....I'm very much enjoying her .....except for one small thing......
She takes ages to warm up ....and I do mean ages...... I can do a 50 mile journey in her and the temperature needle barely gets above the bottom mark.....occasionally if I driver her a bit harder it may get 5mm or so up the gauge but ...as soon as I ease off a bit it drops again ..... This is fine except that it of course affects the heater in that the air coming out of it is barely warm... I have even sat her in the drive with the 'winter warm up' button on (which lifts the revs slightly )...you can leave her sat there for nearly an hour ( as I have done ) and still the gauge will only just get above the bottom of the scale.....
So...............
My question is...
Do other /all E50 Diesel Elgrands run as cool as mine?.... also ...where should the needle on the gauge 'sit' roughly ? ......
In my other vehicle (a Mitsubishi L200) I can drive her very hard off and on road and work her into the ground .....and the temperature gauge comes up to a horizontal position in the middle of the scale within 3 or 4 minutes or so of running and never moves no matter how hard she is working / towing / off road etc ............
OR!!!! ..........Do I maybe have a thermostat that has stuck 'open' ? (I've not done any investigations at all yet by the way )

Next question .......Reading the hand book it appears some models have a shutter device to close off the radiators in exceptionally cold weather....mine doesn;t appear to have these fitted....so is this 'cool running' thing that is known about ?

Lastly ............In other older vehicles of mine (Landrovers) I always blank the rad off in the winter anyways with some cardboard......so.......... I guess some manner of factory fitted shutters basically do this in a more 'professional' way ? :)

RobP

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Unsure on the diesel side of things, as I own the petrol 3.3 E50. Mine takes about 10mins (maybe a bit longer in colder weather) driving normally to reach general running temperature which is exactly about half way up the temperature gauge. Once there it doesn't go up or down for me, which is obviously a good sign for me as the fan and cooling system is working ok.
I would suggest that it will be to do with your thermostat, which is causing yours not too warm up. That would be the first thing i would investigate.
There was a factory option on the E50 for a cold weather pack, don't know many people that have it on there's. Think it included the radiator blank off as you mention and an extra battery if I remember right. Not sure what other features were included though

RMS

E50 Owner
Thanks RobP for the quick reply :)
.... I have suspicions on the thermostat myself ...the only thing is , in my past experience?... when they die , they usually stick 'shut'...not 'open'.......but ! Ya never know ! :)
So... this weekend I'll fetch it out and try the old saucepan of hot water trick and see what it does...If I do it when the van is cold and find it is already 'open' then that answers my questions I guess :) Thanks again ! I thought the temp gauge outta sit about halfway 'up' but thought I'd ask on here anyways :)

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I've got the 3.2 and it warms up quickly even in this weather (around 10 mins) and the needle sits half way. I'd say your stat is knackered. Cheap to change at about 7 quid and a good starting point to try and fix yours.

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks RobP for the quick reply :)
.... I have suspicions on the thermostat myself ...the only thing is , in my past experience?... when they die , they usually stick 'shut'...not 'open'.......but ! Ya never know ! :)
So... this weekend I'll fetch it out and try the old saucepan of hot water trick and see what it does...If I do it when the van is cold and find it is already 'open' then that answers my questions I guess :) Thanks again ! I thought the temp gauge outta sit about halfway 'up' but thought I'd ask on here anyways :)
Mine was stuck open when I bought mine!

RMS

E50 Owner
great stuff thankyou all .........just mooching the www for a thermostat and the cheapest I've found so far is £24.99...
.............so.... .where are you guys buying yours at £7 quid or so ??? Thanks again

RobP

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
great stuff thankyou all .........just mooching the www for a thermostat and the cheapest I've found so far is £24.99...
.............so.... .where are you guys buying yours at £7 quid or so ??? Thanks again
In the guide that @Harvo has linked it says he got it from eurocarparts. Definitely worth having a search on there website or going in store if you have one near by to you

Charlie

E50 Owner
My old 3.2 was the same as yours, it was 10yrs back but I think I went to local motorfactors with the faulty one and got a replacement for a few quid but had to cut the locating tabs off the outside, Elgrand ones were £35 at the time, the adapted one worked fine for years, I had spent a whole winter freezing even with the radiator curtain closed...

RMS

E50 Owner
Thanks very much for all your swift replies and advice...... Have sourced a new thermostat now £12 ish including postage so not too bad.
Tried the Europarts people and their drop down box for the elgrand only goes back to 1999 and only offers 3 or 3.3 petrol engine versions :(
But I'm hopefully sorted so once again thank you all :) Bob

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Thanks very much for all your swift replies and advice...... Have sourced a new thermostat now £12 ish including postage so not too bad.
Tried the Europarts people and their drop down box for the elgrand only goes back to 1999 and only offers 3 or 3.3 petrol engine versions :(
But I'm hopefully sorted so once again thank you all :) Bob
ECP seem to recognise my reg number and know it's a 1997 Elgrand 3.2 Derv - going via that route takes you to the £6.99 thermostat (mine failed open too - the rubber bit in the middle gave up).

Another thing to remember is that the QD32 is essentially a bored and stroked TD27 engine (Terrano 2.7 etc) and generally most the parts are the same between them.

RMS

E50 Owner
ECP seem to recognise my reg number and know it's a 1997 Elgrand 3.2 Derv - going via that route takes you to the £6.99 thermostat (mine failed open too - the rubber bit in the middle gave up).

Another thing to remember is that the QD32 is essentially a bored and stroked TD27 engine (Terrano 2.7 etc) and generally most the parts are the same between them.
well I'll go to sea.....t'other night their website kept saying my number plate wasn't a valid reg......just tried it again and ...yep yer right £6.99 ....bah !:)

Ben E50

E50 Owner
I would replace the thermostat, less that £10 from Euro Car Parts, it’s really easy to change.
Check your electric coolant fans are not running all the time as this will cool the engine. If fan are running then you may need a coolant temp sensor (£8 Euro car part)

jason pullin

E50 Owner
Premium Member
this site is fantastic! only just joined but a quick flick through is answering so many questions! Didnt even realise i had this problem and just thought it ran colder than most being bigger than the cars ive ever owned and never gave it a second thought. it was serviced when i brought it and always ran the same. Yesterday i nipped into euro carparts and picked up a 6.99 thermostat and swapped it out to find the engine does actually get warm. Thanks

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
this site is fantastic! only just joined but a quick flick through is answering so many questions! Didnt even realise i had this problem and just thought it ran colder than most being bigger than the cars ive ever owned and never gave it a second thought. it was serviced when i brought it and always ran the same. Yesterday i nipped into euro carparts and picked up a 6.99 thermostat and swapped it out to find the engine does actually get warm. Thanks
Anther win for the forum! Glad we've been of assistance to you :) I'm sharing this in the Facebook group so people can see for themselves!

jason pullin

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Anther win for the forum! Glad we've been of assistance to you :) I'm sharing this in the Facebook group so people can see for themselves!
Please do, and you have even convinced me for the first time to join a group and i will be a paying member when i sit down with my bank card next time as the things ive found on here have saved me a fortune in garage fees! Brought my e50 3.2d camper conversion from a little garage end of last year. they were nice guys but had taken it as a px and were obviously a little out of there depth. i took it for an mot when i got it even they they had done it and found a big brake imbalance. After stripping them down came across two seized slider pins on the passenger side which was holding the pad on the disc permanently. Sorted that only for a front spring to snap going over a speed bump. luckily wasn't too difficult to put a new pair on. now sorted the thermostat so next job is an under seal while i still have a chassis to seal. Apart from that my and the daughter have had a few trips away hassle free, been down to devon for a week, malham for a weekend and a couple of nights wild camping along the yorkshire coast here and there when weve had chance. ill post some pictures when im a paying member. Thanks for all the good work your doing

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
We're not just a club here, we are a community, and we do like to help. Always great to hear good news stories such as these! Thanks @jason pullin, makes my day when people appreciate the effort :)

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Do you know what the part number was for the thermostat and did it come with a seal or gasket?

jason pullin

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Do you know what the part number was for the thermostat and did it come with a seal or gasket?
it was product code 209745121. it was slightly different to the one that came out but was the same size. it came with a huge black rubber seal that wouldnt fit in and wasnt on the original so it didnt go in. left engine running and no leaks then went on a 10 mile drive last night and no leaks. will keep my eyes on it over the next few days