DVLA online vehicle road Tax & M.O.T status check

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi fellow owners.

I just wanted to urge you all to go on to the DVLA site and carry out a quick 1 min Tax and M.O.T status check on your Elgrands and other vehicles ESPECIALLY if you have only just become a new owner of one recently.

The reason for this is because I bought my Elgrand nearly 6 months ago now from a very well known and trusted dealer WRM. One collection they gave me a comprehensive folder with all the documentation and fresh M.O.T certificate inside along with lots of other useful stuff you would expect to get.

Any how, yesterday I got my road Tax renewal notice through from the DVLA so I decided to log on and Tax it online which ive done many many times now.

I was quite shocked for the DVLA to say I COULD NOT do it because my Elgrand was not showing as being M.O.T'd:cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat: which I knew full well was incorrect as I have a certificate and I know full well she was.

After speaking with Paul this morning @ WRM he informed me that this is a regular issue they encounter and only yesterday another customer of theirs rang in to say that they could not Tax their Elgrand online as it was also showing no M.O.T status.

Paul has had lots of phone calls with the DVLA recently about this flaw in their online system and yet the DVLA have still not 100% managed to rectify it.

My Elgrand is M.O.T'd BTW and I will be able to Tax it tomorrow the old fashioned way up at my local post office along with my Tax V11 renewal form, M.O.T cert and insurance cert and the fee of £245 for 12 months.

I just wanted to let you all know about this NOW and it only takes a few seconds to do the DVLA online status check so I urge you all to do it please for peace of mind ESPECIALLY all you new and recently bought owners of Elgrands.

If any of you do find that it shows your Elgrand as not having an M.O.T and or " No M.O.T details held by DVLA " wording along side the road tax status then I urge you all to ring DVSA on 0300-123-9000 at the earliest chance and have your M.O.T test cert to hand so you can tell them the Test cert number in order that they can then update their system and your vehicle status to show you have both.

Lets not forget either guys that the DVLA system is also linked up to the Police national computer and if a copper pulls you over they can see at an instant what your vehicle status is regarding Tax, M.O.T & insurance and if you can't prove to them you have it all they will seize your vehicle there and then.

I have always carried my vehicle documents in my cars just in case these days as you never know.

I'm just glad my Tax renewal arrived yesterday and not lets say 2 days before otherwise I would be in limbo and would not legally be able to drive on the road until it was rectified.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I noticed this when I bought mine. I checked the MOT online when I had put down the deposit prior to picking it up a week later. I contacted the dealer to tell him & he put it through MOT again so it registered properly. I could then check it online before I paid the balance.

It's a bit annoying that dealers know about this issue with fresh imports but don't pass on the info.

It's a good service checking MOTS online for cars that have been in the country for a while because it shows advisories from past MOTS so you can ask for receipts to make sure the work was carried out.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I noticed this when I bought mine. I checked the MOT online when I had put down the deposit prior to picking it up a week later. I contacted the dealer to tell him & he put it through MOT again so it registered properly. I could then check it online before I paid the balance.

It's a bit annoying that dealers know about this issue with fresh imports but don't pass on the info.

It's a good service checking MOTS online for cars that have been in the country for a while because it shows advisories from past MOTS so you can ask for receipts to make sure the work was carried out.
Agreed Phil albeit is NOT the selling dealers fault. its a DVLA fault. As we all know now M.O.T's are linked to the DVLA website now via a computer which is supposed to upload the vehicle info on to the DVLA website with in a few hours and or a couple of days MAX and then it should show. Once the test is passed and completed the computer at the M.O.T testing station prints you off a certificate. This cannot be done if it has not passed the test so DVLA already know that its passed a test yet in some cases still fail to up link all their systems 100%. They are slowly getting there though with this new system of online stuff which I am a big fan of TBH. I had the same issue with my Aston last year when I wanted to change my private plate as it would not let me do it online due to my Aston having been in a period of SORN in the last 5 years and just prior to my ownership/purchase due to it being sat in a dealer show room for 13 months unsold and SORN'd.

So I don't don't blame my selling dealer at all because as far as they are concerned and also myself I had an M.O.T and also have a printed off certificate to prove it. There is no way the selling dealer would know of this flaw until I rang him today to query it and he explained it to me.

Always worth checking I had the same issue not being able to tax my car online due to it saying I had no mot on my last car.

Thing is in my case I actually didn't have a valid mot it had run out 9 months earlier I couldn't quite believe it, car had been in the garage a huge number of times so I was sure one of those times must of been for the mot but nope oopps still can't believe I didn't get caught.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Agreed Phil albeit is NOT the selling dealers fault. its a DVLA fault. As we all know now M.O.T's are linked to the DVLA website now via a computer which is supposed to upload the vehicle info on to the DVLA website with in a few hours and or a couple of days MAX and then it should show. Once the test is passed and completed the computer at the M.O.T testing station prints you off a certificate. This cannot be done if it has not passed the test so DVLA already know that its passed a test yet in some cases still fail to up link all their systems 100%. They are slowly getting there though with this new system of online stuff which I am a big fan of TBH. I had the same issue with my Aston last year when I wanted to change my private plate as it would not let me do it online due to my Aston having been in a period of SORN in the last 5 years and just prior to my ownership/purchase due to it being sat in a dealer show room for 13 months unsold and SORN'd.

So I don't don't blame my selling dealer at all because as far as they are concerned and also myself I had an M.O.T and also have a printed off certificate to prove it. There is no way the selling dealer would know of this flaw until I rang him today to query it and he explained it to me.
No it's definitely not the dealer's fault @Brendan1969 but it would be nice if they mentioned to us that there is a quirk in the system so just check your tax & mot on the DVLA website if you're concerned about it. As you say mr plod could pull us & it would be our fault - not the dealer, not dvla but innocent little us :)

This might be slightly off topic so apologies if it is. Sadly my mate's dad passed away recently but his 90 year old mum likes to be driven around in her husband's old car rather than my mate's for obvious sentimental reasons. The tax was due this month so he went to renew it, only to find that it had been cancelled by DVLA on the date of his dad's death without notice so he could have been pulled by plod. I know you don't like swearing on forums @Brendan1969 but I'll think you will agree that this deserves a big INSENSITIVE TWATS!! If only the establishment in this country were as quick to help the living instead of dancing on graves & profiting from the dead, we might be able to start building a decent country for ourselves again. Easy, hard working target - f**k you know the rules - but lazy scrounging drug addict burglar - it's not your fault you're a victim of society - BOLLOCKS! :mad:

Sorry for going off on a rant but I feel better now ;):)

Last edited:

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
No it's definitely not the dealer's fault @Brendan1969 but it would be nice if they mentioned to us that there is a quirk in the system so just check your tax & mot on the DVLA website if you're concerned about it. As you say mr plod could pull us & it would be our fault - not the dealer, not dvla but innocent little us :)

This might be slightly off topic so apologies if it is. Sadly my mate's dad passed away recently but his 90 year old mum likes to be driven around in her husband's old car rather than my mate's for obvious sentimental reasons. The tax was due this month so he went to renew it, only to find that it had been cancelled by DVLA on the date of his dad's death without notice so he could have been pulled by plod. I know you don't like swearing on forums @Brendan1969 but I'll think you will agree that this deserves a big INSENSITIVE TWATS!! If only the establishment in this country were as quick to help the living instead of dancing on graves & profiting from the dead, we might be able to start building a decent country for ourselves again. Easy, hard working target - f**k you know the rules - but lazy scrounging drug addict burglar - it's not your fault you're a victim of society - BOLLOCKS!

I salute the 78 year old pensioner this week who was confronted in his own home by 2 burglars & stabbed one of them to death. They shouldn't have been in house in the first place so instead of the police (establishment again) arresting him for manslaughter of the poor little lamb, they should have given him the knife back to finish the other thieving scum off. :mad:

Sorry for going off on a rant but I feel better now ;):)
I agree with you 100% Phil and yes maybe dealers should drop it in as an advisory to customers. I think George just hit the nail on the head too as I was not aware you could M.O.T a vehicle on VIN alone and with no allocated VRN which I now know mine was done this way due to me assigning my PP to mine. DVLA gave me an 04 number but I never went on the vehicle. I suppose its in readiness for when I decide to sell mine and upgrade thus keep my PP.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this and its also good to know others have had this issue and are also aware which is good for all of us.

Check your M.O.T and Tax status guys.:cool:

Last edited:

Crazycraig

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Did a check and mine is all good.

I do remember the dealer (Colin Price Cars) informing me of this at time of purchase. As said before 👍 to him and team.

Although it is our responsibility and I would hate anything to happen to my van!!

Again the EOC and members looking after one and other top job 🤪

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Did a check and mine is all good.

I do remember the dealer (Colin Price Cars) informing me of this at time of purchase. As said before 👍 to him and team.

Although it is our responsibility and I would hate anything to happen to my van!!

Again the EOC and members looking after one and other top job 🤪
Well I rang the DVSA today regarding my issue. Automated service ONLY so a few mins spent ringing a premium rate number for nothing. Typical .gov.uk site/service. I ended up walking up to my local post office in the end and doing it the old fashioned way. All legal now.

Oh and another DVLA rip off too, it said 12 months tax on the E51 Elgrand was £245 but when I taxed it the lady said it had gone up by £10 so £255 now for 12 months.

Potholes are all still the same though across the entire country.:p

Having come from a traveller background please watch the use of the word pikey
Seems travellers are the only group it's still ok to discriminate against
Cheers
Nice one I grew up along side travellers so I know what you mean even my last name is linked somewhere with them I used to work at a school where they had a lot in school they all used to come to me for some reason to talk to which annoyed a lot of the teachers there but hey everyone is the same and should be respected for who or what they are

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Had similar at MOT time last year, they couldn't MOT it because it wasn't on the system. DVLA were no use, they said I needed some proof of its model from Nissan Japan, who flatly said We can't give you this information.

Called the DVSA who saw the DVLA hadn't updated the MOT database when I swapped to a personal plate. In minutes it was on the system.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Similar topic to the MOT problem, my V5C (log book) only gives the make as Nissan with no information under type. Made insuring a bit tricky. Wondered if I can get DVLA to add Variant: Elgrand Version: E51, and would I have to pay for this?

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Similar topic to the MOT problem, my V5C (log book) only gives the make as Nissan with no information under type. Made insuring a bit tricky. Wondered if I can get DVLA to add Variant: Elgrand Version: E51, and would I have to pay for this?
I doubt it mate but good luck with your quest. A government agency wanting to help!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Contacted DVLA, they said if I return the V5C, and include a few photos of the car showing number plate, they will amend the V5C (probably). :p