Differences in Elgrand E51 2005-2007

Hi i am looking to import an Elgrand E51 3.5 and was just wondering if there were many interior/exterior differences between the 2005, 2006 and 2007 releases of it? Is there any benefits paying the extra for a slightly newer car - am not really bothered with the mileage.

Ricardo

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
I believe the later models can have the nav/computer system updated to a UK spec, think this was only an option on series 3

mattd

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Expert
Very briefly, not a huge amount if difference. Underpinnings are the same. The phase 2 as it's known has the option of a 2.5L engine. The rest is mainly cosmetic with slightly different rear LED tail lights and a one piece headlight rather than a split indicator/headlight unit. Interior wise, there is a slightly different centre console and apparently there are an extra couple of inches of legroom up from but I'm not sure that's ever been confirmed. Think they introduced the option of twin electric sliding doors with the phase 2, but the amount of different toys these things come with vary from car to car, so much so that it would be very difficult to find alike!

i have a series 3, its late 2007 i think so must have been one of the first, im not 100% on this but i think the only difference is the entertainment system and the 360 degree cameras

i think the series 3 has the best system as standard but the other side of the coin is it would be very difficult to change? ive not seen any done so far. im having an english converted unit shipped over so i will report back when i have managed to get it fitted

i have a series 3, its late 2007 i think so must have been one of the first, im not 100% on this but i think the only difference is the entertainment system and the 360 degree cameras

i think the series 3 has the best system as standard but the other side of the coin is it would be very difficult to change? ive not seen any done so far. im having an english converted unit shipped over so i will report back when i have managed to get it fitted

Thanks for that Richard. Did any of the DVD, phone, cd , radio , phone, sat nav work here in the uk? As one of the above users stated is the sat nav update able to uk spec? Or does everything still need to be replaced. Be interested to know what unit you have ordered :)

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
The series 3 DVD , Bluetooth, CD, Compact Flash, Music Box and Radio ( with 18MHz band expander ) all work OK, but the Sat Nav is Japanese only. However with Smart Phones and Cheap Sat Nav units being available as add-on's it's a non issue. It also has RCA Aux inputs for an external media player. Japanese Domestic TV tuners wont work outside Japan.

the dvd works fine apparently it plays different regions, cd also fine, radio only picks up radio 2 (think thats the norm for elgrands) phone and bluetooth work fine, sat nav does not work.

i only bought a series 3 because it was the best condition one i could find with the spec i wanted, i wouldn't have bought it for the entertainment system although i do love the 360 cameras.

the conversion units are around £900, that gives you a working sat nav and menus in english, the sat nav is probably poor compared to google maps so you are really paying £900 to have everything in english, at first i thought it was probably just a flashed hard drive with english and software based fix but no.. its a whole new unit and even a new amplifier, i suspect its been pulled from a newer nissan that was sold in an english speaking market then rewired to work in the elgrand.

i guess i will get a better idea when it arrives

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
If you fit an 18MHz expander you can use the radio for all UK / Australian stations, and Musicbox is a great feature. I have over 120 CD Albums loaded into mine now, and also the compact flash holds 100's of MP3's. I stream audio via Bluetooth from my Iphone and my daughter can plug her media box straight into the RCA connectors in the back. All that is missing is a GPS, but I sat one on top of the front screen, $85. In my opinion, series 3 stereo is great. GPS.JPG