All DAB advice needed please

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Has anybody got any views on this dab setup or similar please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FirstE-Tra...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R1NBPFJDZTZTKV4DKT0Y

I'm currently using my mini bose portable speaker in the car so I'm thinking about connecting one via aux cable direct from dab unit to speaker if they are any good for radio. The micro sd slot looks handy for mp3 playback too.

All thoughts & experiences welcome - cheers all :)

Last edited:

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I'm surprised nobody here has had a play with one of these. I might take one for the club on this one & have a gamble.

Unless anyone chips in to say they are total shite by the weekend, I'll get one ordered & post back findings for any members who may be interested :)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Well I took the gamble. First impressions are surprisingly good. I'll have a little play with it for a week or 2 & post a review thread with my findings.
I’m most interested in dab reception issues out of urban areas.
What aerial comes with it?

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
That's one of the things I want to play with. I don't like too many cables or sticking things to the windscreen - I would rather try & keep things more portable. At the moment the aerial's chucked on the floor & it's working round town with air con on (no interference yet) - even talksport works :)

I've never been able to get the car radio working so I'm using an aux cable straight from the new dab unit to my portable mini bose speaker. I'll have to get the av manual & google translate out again in case I've missed something on that.

Anyway here's the info on the aerial for now

IMG_0100[1].JPG

Baz L

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ive got one of those aerials and my receptions shite on the move but it could be because its an xtrons unit :worried:
It'd be good to know if anyones had success with any other aerial ;)

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
That's one of the things I want to play with. I don't like too many cables or sticking things to the windscreen - I would rather try & keep things more portable. At the moment the aerial's chucked on the floor & it's working round town with air con on (no interference yet) - even talksport works :)

I've never been able to get the car radio working so I'm using an aux cable straight from the new dab unit to my portable mini bose speaker. I'll have to get the av manual & google translate out again in case I've missed something on that.

Anyway here's the info on the aerial for now

View attachment 1232
Ah that looks better than the ‘normal’ looking short stubby item that came with the Pure.
I note it’s performance is compromised be uv reflective screens (like mine has) how long is the cable?
I wonder if it works ok mounted on front sunroof?

Baz L

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ah that looks better than the ‘normal’ looking short stubby item that came with the Pure.
I note it’s performance is compromised be uv reflective screens (like mine has) how long is the cable?
I wonder if it works ok mounted on front sunroof?
That's where I originally had mine but the reception was still as poor

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
That's where I originally had mine but the reception was still as poor
Ah, ok so I’d probably need an external aerial so more expense so I’ll probably stick with ‘just my phone’ as it’s worked fine for my needs for almost a year now.

Baz L

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ah, ok so I’d probably need an external aerial so more expense so I’ll probably stick with ‘just my phone’ as it’s worked fine for my needs for almost a year now.
It's probably down to the HU....is yours xtrons?

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
This could be total coincidence so please don't laugh. :)

I first set the unit up in the house with the aerial on the floor. It scanned well & radio reception was great. But when I stood over the aerial or waved my hands across it the signal broke up slightly. I put the aerial loose on a sheet of white paper & danced around it like a massai warrior but couldn't get the signal to break up - reception problem solved for now. Coincidence or not.

Everything is still loose on the floor of the car. I dropped the wife off at work this morning & no breaks in reception yet. But it's too early to give a proper review.

I've got to drive just out of town later so I'll see what happens then.

Whotsit

Premium Member
E51 Owner
This could be total coincidence so please don't laugh. :)

I first set the unit up in the house with the aerial on the floor. It scanned well & radio reception was great. But when I stood over the aerial or waved my hands across it the signal broke up slightly. I put the aerial loose on a sheet of white paper & danced around it like a massai warrior but couldn't get the signal to break up - reception problem solved for now. Coincidence or not.

Everything is still loose on the floor of the car. I dropped the wife off at work this morning & no breaks in reception yet. But it's too early to give a proper review.

Was it anything to do with static in the carpet or can't you afford a carpet now that you fill the Elgrand

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Only drove 7 miles out of town & back so not a great test but no break ups in reception at all yet. The antenna is still loose on the white paper on the floor of the car for now :)

MrRob_in

Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
That’s promising, have you had a chance to test the bt phone and music streaming yet? (I’ve added it to my Amazon wish list) ;)

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
That’s promising, have you had a chance to test the bt phone and music streaming yet? (I’ve added it to my Amazon wish list) ;)
Not had chance yet but I'll let you know how I get on. Just testing the radio out for reception. I've left a micro sd card with music on it in the unit thinking I'll just push the button to switch from the radio when the reception breaks up but this hasn't happened as yet.

It plays music from the card no problem & displays the playing track on the screen. Too good to be true at the moment so I'm expecting something to go wrong soon. :)